Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:37 pm

I'm pretty sure you will learn and improve fast like everyone is doing.
That's what makes the sport even more interesting!

Enjoy..

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:39 pm

Toby,

I see many accidents and I see many people giving up the sport.

Why? Because they have not been taught properly or at all, or they have the wrong gear.

Can we afford accidents? Do we want our beaches banned for kitesurfing?

Windsurfing was different. Nobody got hurt. If you fail you go nowhere.

Kitesurfing is different, if you fail you get dragged through the car park and hurt yourself and the public.

If you really think that the Airblast is suitable as a first kite then Amen to you and to all those poor suckers who have listened to your advice.

MC

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:58 pm

how would you define wrong gear?
For me wrong gear is that you don't have anything to relaese your loops.

What is the difference in getting lifted by a gust being hooked to an airblast or Freeair or NSK?

having a four line you can at least depower a little . Not with a two line kite. And the Airblast can be riden without being hooked in, or?

So tell me, MC, what would you suggest?

On one thing we agree:
everyone should do a course before.
But if you don't have any school around?
Did you attend a course? How long do you ride? When I started there was almost no school around. And no accidents were known.
No everyone is smarter, wanting better equipment for safety, wathing the forecasts and doing courses.

No-one wants bans or any accidents to happen.
Agreed too.

But if someone wants to teach themselves, we only can give advices like not going out on a gusty day and to try first in low winds.

And be sure that I feel 100% safer riding a fourline kite like the Airblast than a twoline kite like R3.

Let me know about your opinion.

Toby

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:03 pm

and anyone elses opinion, please

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:57 pm

EASY GUYS...THANKS HOWEVER !!!! LISTEN THERE IS LOCALS THAT ARE AWSOME AT SNOWKITING AND WINNING COMPETETIONS.. SO AT LEAST I DO HAVE CHANCES TO GET TIPS AND FLY W/ THEM.. BUT I DO ADMIT BEEING STOKED SOMETIMES I WILL TRY TO FLY A KITE W/ HELP OF A FRIEND.. WITH OUT THERE EXPERT ADVICE...CUZ THEY ALSO HAVE LIVES TO TEND TO.. I THINK ITS HUMAN NATURE... I WONT TO LEARN FAST AND BRING GOOD SAFE ATTENTION TO THIS SPORT..

lndpnt
Medium Poster

Postby lndpnt » Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:47 am

Excellent advice Toby, you may have just saved Steves ass and maybe a few others. Steve, my hat's off to you for asking questions from people who have been there. I'm still intermediate but I always wondered why kite schools teach with two line kites. I'm mostly self taught and I'm here to tell you I had some scary moments on two line foils. The first time I tried a four line kite, I realized why these guys were having so much fun, because you can dial in the control strap to control the power. I'm not too familiar with the Airblast, but I believe it's a pretty high aspect kite. I'm using Wipika hydros (lower aspect) and they are soooo forgiving, I would highly recommend them as a first kite (and as I understand they make a decent expert wave kite as well) Anyway this thread is an example of what this sport is facing, people are buying kites with no experience and as Rick would point out, by the time they realize they're not big toys there's been some serious adrenaline flowing. I think the most important thing is to seek advice from people who have been through it already, and ...respect the power.
Good luck Steve, you sound like you have the right stuff, one question though..... WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS YELLING : )
Lane

Postby Guest » Wed May 22, 2002 3:11 pm

I tend to agree with Toby.Not everyone has access to a school , and progress in this sport is so fast that you can have the basics covered in a week of sailing. I learned on a AR5 Naish when they first came out and everyone said it would be hard/not possible.Learning to relaunch is a bit harder than a two line but the benefits of depowering loop/buckle far outweigh the negatives.As long as you learn in a very safe location with no public around/no trees/light posts etc. and in steady light/moderate winds in safe waters with a good video for reference, you cant go wrong. And finally , always wear a helmet/vest/wrist leash in the early stages.This is just my opinion.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 23, 2002 12:40 pm

and not alone!

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 4:32 pm

Hello friends.. Its been awile sence I posted this... I've found flying the kite is not a problem on land..With a snowboard strap to my feet its a new thing, now that the snow is gone. Im out there on the Colorado lakes, and found this sport is not so easy on water... I found you have no resistance to pull and relaunch the dam kite... I notice the kite is very heavy in the water.. So Im still strugling with learning how to get on top of the water... Body dragging down wind is what Im finding myself doing.. Any how thanks again friends..
Sky High
Steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”