Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review RRD Hyper Type 12.0 2007

Postby davej » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Review for RRD Hyper Type 2007 12.0

Times tested: No Comment
Range: 10kn to 28kn

Good: I got this kite a just before xmass and have had only a few light days on it till my trip to La Ventana. On the light days I was amazed at how efficient this kite went up wind with ease. I was staying up wind then a guy on a Cabrina contra the older one with the cross lines 16.5m. Bar pressure is super light. The kite is very fast as well. In Mexico I got to finally put it to the test with winds hitting 30mph+ and averaging at 27. Even on the high gusts I was in control and not the kite. The jumps were amazing. Some of the biggest floatiest jumps. The kite was very stable and only dropped it a few times. Re launch was no prob, it just popped right up. I have also used in surf in medium light wind and this kite was a blast there too. very fast to turn and steady controlled pull.

Bad: Cant say much bad. It took a little getting used to the longer through on the bar but it was not as bad as some of the other bows/hybrids I have tried

Review: I give this kite a high nine out of ten

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 81-90
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Over
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 15.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: slingshot turbo diesel
cation anwser
globe rider forget the model

For pictures and more reviews click here

wndjnky
Rare Poster

Postby wndjnky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:41 am

I agree that this is a killer kite.

It does not relaunch at all in light conditions (at least not my kite). I have relaunched a million kites but this one just stayes face down laughing at me and I have no clue how to get it out of the water in light 12 - 13 knots conditions.

The nice RRD dealer could not get it out of the water either after telling me how easy it should be. He is now scratching his head.

Everyone else says that is a peace of pie to relaunch?

Could there be something wrong with the setup of the kite or do I need to go back to kiteschool?

Cheers

KiteBird
Rare Poster

Postby KiteBird » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:29 pm

wndjnky wrote: It does not relaunch at all in light conditions
And does it relaunch in high wind conditions ? Without inverting or others.

Do you have informations about the 9m ?

CTPedro
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby CTPedro » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:16 pm

I've got a 12m HT and it relaunches like a dream. Easier than my 9m Waroo and way way easier than my 16m Waroo. It doesn't take nearly the same arm full of back line and the load on that line is much lower. The lightest I've relaunched in was probably around 15mph. No prob. But any lighter than that and I'm on a bigger kite.

Since it's a hybrid and not as flat I don't think inversion is an issue. I've been way overpowered on it, fully depowered and it doesn't flatten out like other SLEs and when it crashes and tumbles it always comes out right side in.

All around killer kite. Great range. Awesome pull. Fast and floaty. I love it.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pike » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:10 pm

I've been using my 12m for a while now. I have replaced the cl & depower strap with a waroo bar upgrade (keeping the RRD bar) and it has made a huge difference to me. I did not like the sticky plastic covered cl nor the small depower rope. I now have full power to depower (no inverting) in a huge range of wind, an adjustable stopper ball and a lovely loose bar travel qwhich has accentuated the great qualities of this kite; namely great jumps, fast turning and great upwind ability.
I've relaunched no probs in winds 15 mph plus - you have to really sheet out to the max (which I can do with my mod set up).

Return to “Kitesurfing”