tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Review Naish Shockwave07 12.0 2007

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:41 pm

Review for Naish Shockwave07 2007 12.0

Times tested: 11+
Range: 11kn to 30kn

Good: Power, turning speed, stability, wave riding, jumping and hang time.

Bad: None so far. Hmm, maybe that it is not a 9 :-)

Review: This kite is super nice for powered wave riding. The kite feels very nice, super powerful yet, stable and fast turning. Hang time is insane on this kite. it turns fast, with controllable power.

The kite is standard super good Naish quality. You can change the bar from 1:1 TO 2:1 in less than a minute. You can control the bar pressure, and turne the kite to your riding style, and not have to tune to the kite. For me this kite just felt right when I demoed it. From last years SW, thay have added some pads, and changed the profile a little and the kite never backs up. I have tried to get it to back up by over sheeting it, and nothing. It relaunches so easy that it feels automatic. I can ride it on a surfboard comfortable from about 12 mph to well over 30 mph...with higher gusts. There is no inversion on this kite at all. I have thrown it around overpowered, with depower, and the kite doesn't even deform a bit.

I thin kthe kite excells in winds from maybe 14 mph to around 25 mph.
THis kite jumps well on flat water, but superbly in chop and waves. THe handtime is, in powered conditions as long as you want it. Just control it on the bar.

The kite loops well, but with a bigger radius than the Torches. It does loop with power, unless you depower it on the bar. Very nice for downlooped powered bottom turns.

Kiteloops works well too for landing jumps with speed.

You can really ride the waves with this kite as it follows you completely depowered while you ride the wave, and you simply choose when to re-engage it.

Becareful wen you unhook with this kite. Make sure you have the powere dialed in, as you will ride it with full power...rolls are super easy with this kite, as the hang is so controllable.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 81-90
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Over
Preferred Kite Size: 9.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: 06 Shockwave, Boxer SLE, Best Waroo, Takoon Nova, EH Rippeher, EH Beast, etc.

For pictures and more reviews click here

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:06 am

I am sure I have forgotten something, so if you have anything to add, please do so....

Heres a pic of my baby :-)

a.
Attachments
364_sm.jpg
364_sm.jpg (237.3 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
368_sm.jpg
368_sm.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
373_sm.jpg
373_sm.jpg (142.8 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:28 am

Hi Alex
Thanks for a good review. I know that you've ridden the Boxer SLE too. Can you describe the difference between the Boxer and the Shockwave in handling and feel and performance.

:wink:
CG

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:23 am

Yeah, I have a 9 Boxer SLE. I've only demoed the 9 SW07, but I have had a lot of time on the 12 SW and 9 Boxer SLE.

I think design wise the difference is fairly clear, the boxer is medium aspect whereas the shockwave is higher aspect. The xer has 5 struts, and the shockwave 7.

Both kites are super nice though. I think the boxer is more all round. It can be used for freestyle, waves, jumping, looping. I mean the kite turns so fast, that friends of mine that usually rides 9 C-kites comments on how fast it turns when they try it..

Both kites are stable, and very easy to use. I think the Shockwave flies faster and although the boxer is powerful, the SW has more power. Same goes for hang time. I think the SW jumps slightly higher and hangs longer, but really taking the boxer out in high winds gives you plenty good jumps and hang time.

I suspect the SW to have slightly better low end, but I cannot say since I didn't try the 9 in low wind. Both kites handles perfectly, no significant fluttering. The SW feels slightly more stable, which is almost hard to believe since the boxer is so stable.

Both kites has the same shockbar so both kites can be used 1:1 or 2:1 and modified to the bar pressure you like. Both kites gives nice feedback, and are let you know where they are without looking. Maybe a little more so on a 2:1....

Both kites loops well, but the boxer finishes faster and has a smaller turning radius. There is no problem riding either kite in super powered condition, and I have not even been close to inversions. Both kites relaunch super easy. I can stall the Boxer by oversheeting it, following it and then turn while riding it in lower wind (yes I am then trying to stall it), I have not been able to that on the shockwave even in very marginal wind. I guess that is the only surprise since the SW is higher aspect.

I think much if the difference can be compared to the difference between the torch and the raven only in the world of SLE's.

I think both kites are great, and suit different riding styles. For freestyle and a lot of different type of riding the boxer kicks ass, then for powered riding and wave riding / hang time the Shockwave rules.

Most of the guys in my area rides the SW and love it. I can't really decide which kite I like the best. 4 days ago I would choose the Shockwave, then I had a great session on my boxer SLE yesterday, and so now I don't know again.

Don't know if this helps...are you considering the shockwaves? :-)
A.

Rabidric
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rabidric » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:06 pm

i like the 07SW and have only one piece of criticism(constructive i hope) with my 9m:- the trimmer

on 1:1 , the trimmer range is too small to let you ride in a decent stance when reasonably depowered, as even with full trim pulled the bar is still a bit too far away for my liking when riding in the top of the kite's stated range(yes, i have the back lines on the longest knot also).

On my last 9m SLE the trimmer had about double the range, guess i will have to go find a replacement trimstrap. the new pull tabs like to get caught on things too.

Otherwise, happy :)

dennisk
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby dennisk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Hey good review...

Has anyone had any experience on the larger sizes. I have a 06 SW 9m and I love it. Looking to replace my lightwind 17m C-kite with a bow, maybe a 15m bxer or 16m SW....but I cannot find any good reviews or comments on these sizes. Most reviews are one liners...

jetboy
Medium Poster

Postby jetboy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm

I've just received a new shockwave 07 7m and typically the wind is non existant. At 70kg its going to be my strong wind/ wave kite for the surf. Can any wave riders that own a SW give me their tuning preferences 2:1 or 1:1. 8)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:25 am

Jetboy:
Although I am not the best wave rider, I do enjoy the waves.

Lately I have been going out on 1:1, but mostly because the wind has been light. If the wind is strong enough I like the 2:1 setting better, especially in waves. With the 2:1 setting you get a lot more feedback from the kite, and the bar travel is less in terms of power / depower.

I wish I could use that small a kite. Damn it. :-)

Dennisk: Actually two days ago, I met a guy who had a 16 SW. He said he didn;t really like it too much in the beginning, because it was big, but then later his feeling was that it was better to go out in waves powered on a 16 than underpowered on his 12. Now he really likes the kite.

I must say I tend to agree that when the wind is so light that your kite threatens to go down in the surf, it might be better to have a bigger kite.

In any case, is there anyway you can test the kites? I have read here that CGlazier uses the 15 Boxer SLE and likes it, maybe you can PM him, or you can get a response from him here?

I think the difference between the boxer and SW will be much the same in the bigger sizes too...boxer turns faster, SW has more power....but of course it would be better to hear that from someone who actually has tested the kites...

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”