Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Pyro Drysuit 2006, Props!

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:18 pm

I am riding with the Pyro Pro which has a zipper across the front of your chest. It is nice and comfortable and I cannot imagine how anyone could scratch their face on the zipper.

Having said that, it is not really much nicer than the standard Pyro which has the zipper on the back ..so it may not be worth the extra money if you are on a budget. In fact a lot of people like the Pyro lite around here which is their least expensive drysuit. It's up to you.

:wink:
Chris Glazier
Vancouver, Canada

carkeek craig
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby carkeek craig » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:37 am

Andy at http://www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com/ let me demo one of the pyro pro suits for a couple weeks.
I over dressed the 1st time but forgot to cinch my fleece pants. My pants slipped down and I had to come in to pull em back up after my butt cheeks froze!
I wasn't sure a dry suit had any advantage after this session, but I did like the lack of compression on my skin and the lite wieght compared to my winter wet suit.
This last time I had it dialed.
Fleece pants and thermal top. Warm bottom cooler up top.
When I generated excess heat, such as during the set up or break down, I simply unzipped it and let the suit ventilate...this where a zip across the chest is a nice feature.
A drawback that I noticed was an interupted sight line to your harness and hook. The zipper stands off your chest when the suit is zipped.

This might be one reason besides price, why the pyro lite is preffered, they are both built very well and are very comfortable.
I sure like the easy access to a chest zipper.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:16 am

Hi Guys!
biggins wrote:Mine leaks through the cuffs on the legs and arms!!! REAL pain. I have NOT tried it out in cold water yet as I'm too scared since it leaked in warmish water.
Biggins, you should get in touch with your local Ocean Rodeo Dealer to get that suit off to us for an inspection and a repair if necissary. Your suit should not be leaking!

That being said, some other posters have talked about minor leaks too. Again, this should not be happening! The most common cause of small leaks, especially around the ankles are these four possible problems:

1) You have allowed a part of your thermal layer to get stuck between your leg or arm and the seal. It then acts as a wick and draws water into your suit.

2) You have not ensured that when you are pulling the suit's seals on they are lying perfectly flat against your skin, by which I mean no wrinkles or folds!

3) The seal (this is VERY common) is sitting too low on your leg or arm and is on the "boney" part of your ankle or wrist. This will tent the seal out and allow a gap for water to come in. Pull the seal up your leg or arm to the flat skin to allow a perfect seal to be formed.

4) You have used neoprene accessories and have pulled the latex seal over the neoprene boot or glove to prevent flushing. The latex seal should be flat against your skin. Neoprene accessories go over the seal. In the case of the new Pyro Surf Suit there are secondary neoprene cuffs to pull down over these accessories to prevent flushing.

Finally, to prevent damage to the suit be careful when donning and doffing the suit! Do not yank the arms, legs or neck to pull the seals on. Pull until there is resistance and you can not pull further without forcing it. Then, use your thumb and fore fingers to "pop" the seal over your foot or wrist. For the neck, pull the seal open with both hands to pull it down over your head. Problems with long hair can be avoided by not putting it in a pony tail and possibly covering it with a neoprene or lycra touque to prevent the latex seal from grabbing the hair (or wet your hair first)
viktor wrote:
Che wrote:Hi guys I tried OR Pyro and found that rubber collar was very tight. What then to do about it.
In my opinion, do NOT cut it. The reason I say this is that the seal will become shorter and might leak. Put a pan or something in the neckseal and let it strech over night. Strech it just a little at each time since if it gets too streched...werll you figure it out.
Viktor is on the right track here. The seals will actually "relax" over time a bit so helping to speed this process up initially is a good idea. Stretching the neck seal over a pot or pan and the wrists and ankles over a large pop bottle works well. Leave it for 24-48 hours. If you do need to cut the seal do so with your best scissors. Turn the seal inside out and cut one ring at a time. Be sure that the finish to your cut is clean with no knicks to start a tear from. Test the fit after each cut to see if it works. The rings look like a small change but it does make a difference! Your seals should all be "snap" tight but not uncomfortable!

One other thing. Latex seals are petroleum based. As such you should avoid any contact with other petroleum products! Use alcohol based sun screens and water based lubricants if you have chaffing issues (Seal Saver is awesome BTW, as is that stuff tri-athelets use, I think its called anti chaff stick - looks like a deodorant stick!) Oil based sun screens will make the seals become gummy and loose over time and will require that the seals be replaced.

Finally, if you have any questions or concerns about your suit or any other Ocean Rodeo product get in touch with one of our Authorized Dealers or with us directly! Sales@oceanrodeo.com or 888-544-4969, NA toll free. 250-544-4969 International calls.

John Z - OR Sales

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:09 am

cglazier wrote:I am riding with the Pyro Pro which has a zipper across the front of your chest. It is nice and comfortable and I cannot imagine how anyone could scratch their face on the zipper.

Having said that, it is not really much nicer than the standard Pyro which has the zipper on the back ..so it may not be worth the extra money if you are on a budget. In fact a lot of people like the Pyro lite around here which is their least expensive drysuit. It's up to you.

Chris Glazier
Vancouver, Canada
Chris.. the zipper on the pro extends up to your shoulders .. right .. when you do a no wip rotation and turn your face .. dose your cheek ever hit the zipper? I herd this once from a friend .. was the guy full of it?

how about a hard wipe out when your head rolls over to your shoulder?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:38 am

I have been riding with my Pyro pro for over 20 sessions now and I have a buddy also in a Pyro Pro. Neither of us have ever had any problem with the front zipper. We are both happy with the suits.

CG

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 am

skypilot wrote:
On a windy winter day in Vancouver, Canada it is like the Ocean Rodeo Army with a solid majority of the riders equipped with some form of the O.R suit.
I don't want to start a flame war but the bit I don't get is why skypilot is making out like Vancouver is cold in winter. :) I was born and grew up in the city and it is generally like ... err ... damp and mild in winter. Now if we were talking lake Ontario, that would be another thing.

For cold try Eastern England in a North-Easterly. Brrr ...

However I am sure some of our Nordic friends can top even that.

Anyways, it looks like we are all agreed that it is awesome to get out in Winter when there are fewer dog-walkers and general muppetry on the beaches. Happy kiting.

North Wind

windsurfer-resurrection

drysuit

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Hello, and sorry to chime in offtopic, but I need to sell a New, unused, never been worn, Pyro classic Drysuit, size, color black/grey,
for a fellow kiter that broke his leg. I have a classic and a pro that I use, but do not need a third suit. He wants 350 for it including the suspenders.

Thanks

please pm me if interested.

Free shipping

Kite-Line
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Any
Gear: Anything we sell is tested by myself and our team.
Brand Affiliation: All major brands

Postby Kite-Line » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Another trick to stretch out the neck seal is to spray it with non-petrolium based silicon (Shark Spray) - which you should be doing all the time to keep the seals pliable and to prevent cracking. After you spray it put the seal over a bottle a few inches wider than your neck and let it sit for the night. This will stretch it out some. Keep doing this until you get it they way you want it.

It's ok to cut down some of the ribs but only cut down one or two and try to stretch it more with the bottle trick. The seals will naturally stretch out over time and you might wish that you hadn't cut off so many ribs earlier.

Just my 2-cents on many years of OR DrySuit use.

Regards,
Michael
http://www.kite-line.com

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:35 pm

I don't want to start a flame war but the bit I don't get is why skypilot is making out like Vancouver is cold in winter. I was born and grew up in the city and it is generally like ... err ... damp and mild in winter. Now if we were talking lake Ontario, that would be another thing.
Gotta agree with North-wind on that one. Vancouver ain't cold. But city folk also don't think coffee is coffee unless it costs $4 a cup. :lol: (Just teasing city people). Here is a pic. that gives some cred. to the OR pyro suit and how it is in the cold weather. This guy was out for a couple hours with no complaints of coldness.
Attachments
IMGP0269.jpg
IMGP0269.jpg (190.94 KiB) Viewed 2586 times

Logan
Rare Poster

Postby Logan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:56 pm

What's the difference between the pro and the classic? I've visited the ocean rodeo website, but what do you guys think? Do they both work well, or does the pro outperform the classic completely? Any opinions?

Return to “Kitesurfing”