tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Review Naish Torch07 14.0 2007

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Review for Naish Torch07 2007 14.0

Times tested: 11+
Range: 10kn to 23kn

Good: The best part of this kite is the enormous wind range, fast turning, easy to use stable and predictability.

Bad: I haven't really found any bad things. I guess that it is not a 9 or 10 meter kite, which a 14 meter cannot be...that said there are certain advantages to having a big kite. Maybe that the bag is not fold out to leave struts inflated...this isn't a problem since the kite has the Octopus system and is really quick to pump up.

Review: I have ridden this kite, goin upwind on a Naish 5'5'' Fish from 11 mph to used it to 23 mph, and I wasn't really that depowered. Add a double depower to the mix and the kite will have even more range. The kite has a huge range...and I love it. Ride it overpowered and jump it more like an SLE, pull in the bar and hang high and long.

The bag it self is more like a backpack than a kite bag, with extra pockets and two straps. Good if you have to carry it for a while until you get to the beach.

The bar is insanely good. It extends my sessions, and has very good molded grip.

THe kite itself, I have had it for I guess 6 months. It's my most used kite. Very good Naish quality, nice stitching, has the octopus system. I have had no problems

With the new bent wingtips, Naish has moved the tow point forward, whcih increases the usable wind range. I can use it between 11 and well over 23 mph no problem.

The kite is very fast turning for a 14 meter, super nice pop, and great hangtime. It is really smooth through loops, and stable for unhooking. It also has the power to give you some time to land on your feet. This kite made me a better kiter for sure. I am enjoying kiteboarding a lot more after getting this kite.

This is a very powerful kite. It naturally turns slower than the Torch 12, but it ias a lot more power. It jumps very well, and feels very good in the air. The kite has great hangtime. Even in gusty wind it handles very well. No twitching or threats of going out of control.

I use this kite as my low wind weapon, I don't feel I need anything else, but I can pretty much ride it always. It is a great kite to learning new tricks in low winds and it will keep you going as you progress. This kite doesn't limit the rider at all.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 81-90
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Over
Preferred Kite Size: 9.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: Best C-kites, EH C-kites, earlier Torch, Earlier Raven, Slingshot Fuel.

For pictures and more reviews click here

fearlu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fearlu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:33 am

I've ridden my friend's T307-14 twice now and can confirm its range. It has a really nice low-end-grunt-gear that motors upwind at a high angle (which I experienced slightly underpowered at Waddell) as well as some pretty forgiving characteristics on the high end (which I experienced in very strong, gusty, south winds during a storm in Alameda.) The one thing it did well on both days was boost and hang. Great bar too and it took about 30 seconds to get used to the borrowed kite.

It's a very good 14-- as much juice I think as most 16s (from '06 that I've ridden) without the strain and effort they required to point to weather.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:02 am

Yeah, so true. I have probalby forgotten a lot in the review, but I feel I have enough time on the kite now to say something with confidence about the quality of the kite, and durability of the construction.

It sure is great kite from learning anything to advanced moves.

Here's some pics of my baby....
Attachments
torch3.jpg
torch3.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
torchback.jpg
torchback.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 3123 times

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:44 am

Hi,
My 14 comes next week. Can`t wait...
Your posting makes me think that It`s been clever decision to change my old T2 16 with T3 14.

Regards,
L.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Ludmil wrote:Hi,
My 14 comes next week. Can`t wait...
Your posting makes me think that It`s been clever decision to change my old T2 16 with T3 14.

Regards,
L.
Congrats,
I have not ridden the 16, but in general I think the power of the 14 is enough for me...and I am not a light rider. If you have two boards this kite will cover a huuuge range. I really don't think you can go wrong with this kite at all. Let me know if you agree though :-)

A.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:43 pm

OK but let me put my hands on it.
Asmf I`m about 71-75kilos /depends before or after visitng the toilet :D /
and having Sol 130 maybe bigger board isn`t nessesary for me...

Regards,
L.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:07 am

Hi,
I``ve tested the 14 already im marginal wind- was about 10-13k and because your review is quite detailed I just have few words to say:
Sooooooooooo HAPPY... :D
Even sining the kite I tried few unhooked tricks and there came the big surprise.Firstly I tried raley to blind and I was thinking that there won`t be enough height for it but WOW I was completed the rotation to blind wondering why I`m still in the air -awesome.

Regards,
L.

joop
Medium Poster

Postby joop » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi,

A friend of mine uses it.

He finds the 14m to be a very slow turning kite and wants to replace it. (he loves the 10m and 7 though).

Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't had the chance to try it.

Joop

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 am

joop wrote: He finds the 14m to be a very slow turning kite and wants to replace it. (he loves the 10m and 7 though).

Can anyone confirm this?
I guess this depends on your frame of reference. If you compare it to a 7 or 10, then yes it will be a slow turning kite. If you compare it to any other 14 meter kite on the market with the same amount of power, then this will not be a slow turning kite. I think it is the fastest turning 14 meter I have ridden.

A.

bkiter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bkiter » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:13 am

I also have to agree with tautologies the 14 is super quick , probably the quickest turning kite I have flown for its size.

Return to “Kitesurfing”