Ocean Rodeo Pyro Drysuit 2006, Props!

Forum for kitesurfers
carkeek craig
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby carkeek craig » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:44 am

If you are solo a lot, the pro's front zip is a great feature, and it has a couple other new features too that make it super deluxe.
Both are built well enough that insulating performance is not an issue, its more about what you need and your budget.
Where this suit really stands out is on the beach, when you are totally exposed. Its toasty and comfortable for hours, as opposed to a wetsuit that just gets chilled.
I posted earlier that the front zip on the pro was blocking my sight line to the hook, well it turns the suit was a bit big, and had extra bagginess to it in the chest area. I tried a L instead of XL and it didn't stick out enough to be an issue.
I am going to give the new surf dry a demo before I make up my mind on which one I want.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 pm

I just picked up a Pro - haven't used it yet, so can only offer comments from trying it on and standing outside for a little while. Air temps were something like 25F, with a little wind chill. My first time in a drysuit.

The Pro has a fairly limited amount of Gore-Tex, only at the armpits, waist, and knees. I was pretty hot when I tried it on (after struggling trying on a couple of thick wetsuits), and there was plenty of condensation inside afterward. But if you're only overheating a little I think it should keep up - on the beach, you could always drop your hood or even unzip if you needed extra cooling.

The front zip is easily a one-man operation, and you don't need to be a contortionist or anything - it does require two hands though, and I have been told that the brass needs wax after every single ocean session or it will corrode. Still, it wasn't much harder than a typical wetsuit back zip. Looks like I can wear my chest harness over it, but I'll have to check that at some point before hitting the beach, just to be sure.

The neck seal wasn't quite as tight as I expected, at least while wearing it - even so, I might trim just a bit if it doesn't stretch out a little. Avoiding any "roll-overs" and getting the seal flat seemed to be the key to comfort - with the next seal, I had to pull it a little lower to flatten it out.

Getting the d@mn thing off my neck was a bit more challenging, but I probably just need a little practice - maybe Howie Mandell can offer some tips... Wearing the suit, I didn't really notice the leg/arm seals, but they were also a struggle to get on/off with damp skin - I think you either need dry skin and some talc on the seals, or wet skin with a little soap or something. Taking off the legs caused a few pulled hairs - a little shaving around the ankles might be necessary...

Overall, getting the suit on really isn't any harder than a thick wetsuit, just more time spent with the seals and less time with the body of the suit. However, I am a bit concerned about the possible frailty of the latex seals, and the force required to get them on/off.

Fit was quite good (that's what sold me) - the Pro has a cinched waist and I didn't need the suspenders because of that, although they are included (not sure if they might be annoying under a harness though). Wasn't too baggy, just loose, and mobility is somewhat better than a 4-5mm wetsuit (particularly in the shoulders).

In cold temps, the material is a little stiff - not binding, but I would be a little concerned about possible cracks if you tended to fold it in the same places all the time (although that would take a couple years or more, I think). Seems durable enough for a harness though.

Wearing the suit outdoors with only shorts underneath showed the importance of proper layers - bare skin against the outside feels quite cold, especially if there's condensation. But even without proper layers, I wasn't all that cold - I'm sure you could be quite toasty with some fleece underneath. Any slight leakage wouldn't really be a problem, but I would be worried if the zip split for some reason.

The real test is on the water, I hope to get a session sometime next week - which I wouldn't be able to with my 4:3 suit.
Attachments
Howie.jpg
Howie.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 pm

Tom183 wrote:I just picked up a Pro{/quote]

Tom, welcome to the Crew! I know you will be stoked! (Now, about those kites of yours....you really know they should match your suit, right?)
Tom183 wrote:The front zip is easily a one-man operation, and you don't need to be a contortionist or anything - it does require two hands though, and I have been told that the brass needs wax after every single ocean session or it will corrode.
Actually, if you want to be lazy just do it every 3rd or 4th session. It will stiffen up a bit but won't be a big deal. We do suggest though that you wax after each session to be safe. The zipper on all of our suits is the most expensive part of the suit. If fabric gets stuck in it slowly back it up, don't yank on it! Also, if it is stiff give it a good wax and it should glide again! (Insert joke here)
Tom183 wrote:The neck seal wasn't quite as tight as I expected, at least while wearing it - even so, I might trim just a bit if it doesn't stretch out a little. Avoiding any "roll-overs" and getting the seal flat seemed to be the key to comfort - with the next seal, I had to pull it a little lower to flatten it out.
Be sure to try the stretch over a pop bottle or traffic cone approach first (mentioned earlier). Cutting should be a last resort.
Tom183 wrote:Getting the d@mn thing off ... was a bit more challenging
Seal Saver (TM) is good stuff for this as is the anti chaffing sticks they sell for triatheletes. Be sure when taking the suit off to stretch the seals with your free hand (both for the neck and ankles) and "pop" it off. Hair snags are not so much of a concern when you are wet (lubricant). Long haired hippy types should avoid pony tails and consider wetting their hair first.
Tom183 wrote:I am a bit concerned about the possible frailty of the latex seals, and the force required to get them on/off.
Just don't "yank" the suit on and off, pop the seals over your ankles, wrists and head and avoid wearing any jewlery as you do so. The seals should last 3-4 seasons before needing maintanance.
Tom183 wrote:not sure if [the suspenders] might be annoying under a harness though
Nope, I've never even thought of them while riding. However, that is why we made them removable!
Tom183 wrote:I would be a little concerned about possible cracks if you tended to fold it in the same places all the time
Actually, the only damage that seems consistant over time is for the tape welding on the seams to start to age after 3-4 years and allow small amounts of water in. This is easily addressed though and is a minimal cost for a suit 4 years out on the water.
Tom183 wrote:I would be worried if the zip split for some reason.
That is the exact reason we use the heavy duty YKK brass toothed zipper on all our suits. Highest quality zipper available, origionally designed for NASA's space suits in the 60's.

John Z!

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:30 pm

I have found that on my drytops that I use for kayaking in order to stretch out the neck I get a #10 can from a resturaunt and some 303 protectant and stretch the gasket over the can and add some 303 and let sit for a day or two. I have never had to cut a gasket! gaskets won't stretch much without 303 or some other protectant. Make sure to put on sunscreen after you put the suit on! good luck!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:35 am

waynepjh wrote:Make sure to put on sunscreen after you put the suit on! good luck!
Stretching your seals is a great idea since cutting is so drastic.

With regards to the quote above, I agree. However, be sure that the sun screen is alcohol based and not oil based as petroleum based products can break your seals down and prematurly age them.

John Z

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:05 am

I had the Pyro Pro out today (first time) in 25-30F air temps, windchills around 15F, and water temps about 40F, and all I can say is: it works.

I need MUCH better gloves, but after 2 1/2hrs, my core was still fine - when the sun started to go down and the wind pick up, it got a little more chilly. Probably would have been better with slightly lighter layers and a thicker hood, but even so there wasn't too much condensation inside the suit (although some of it up top had turned to snow...). I don't think a 5:4 wetsuit would have been enough, although a 6:5 might have been - my 7mm booties were fine. How thick a wetsuit do you need when spray is freezing on your helmet? :o

I got a little cold after changing out of the suit, when the damp started to evaporate. Also my feet got pretty cold because they were wet - I hate to think what it would be like if your whole body was wet...

MMM
Rare Poster

Postby MMM » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:57 pm

hi all,
i sell a new one pyro pro size M :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/OCEAN-RODEO-PYRO-PRO ... dZViewItem

c ya

Return to “Kitesurfing”