Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon May 20, 2002 10:04 pm

well, I ride it and this is my opinion:

- good upwind
- edges great and when fully powered up you still can edge hard and stop the pull of the kite
- nice, elegant design
- custom look
- high-quality accessories(very good wide footstraps)
- great quality
- flex
- good jumping, popping out

this board is worth its money and if you can test it one day, you will understand why.

Toby

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon May 20, 2002 11:17 pm

one important thing to mention:

I know the guy producing these boards very well, so my opinion shouldn't count much.
But hopefully others who tried this board (which are not many yet since it just is new on the market and they can't satisfy the demand at the moment) will post similar impressions about it.
But if you tried it, you will experience the same!

toby

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Tue May 21, 2002 10:49 am

allthoug i don't have that much experience with
different boards, i can agree to most of toby's opinions.

the shooter's light, all the hardware (footpads, straps, fins, screws)
are of excellent quality.
the see-thru deck shows excellent work (bidirectional carbon's very hard to get good looking).

the flex is exactly how it should be (IMO; low power you have a smooth rockerline and a really fast board, hardcore conditions and you'll have a board with a hardcore rockerline that edges the kite aout of the wind-window really good)

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Fri May 24, 2002 2:56 am

I must admit, this board looks and sounds pretty killer!

Could you help me with a few questions about this board, please:

As I understand it, the footpads are stuck down and cannot be easily rotated. Therefore, I assume if you want to change the stance you can only do so with the footstrap. Is that right? Then if you change the angle of the footstrap, it seems like it might not line up right with the pad.

So what is the placement of the holes for the foot straps. Would the holes accomodate a wakestyle footbed? Then maybe the board could be bought without the pads/staps and I could put on something like the NSI Anti-Binding.

Does the X-Shooter use standard Da Kine foot straps?

Is there a leash plug built into this board?
If so, where is it and do you think it is strong enough to be durable? I see in the photos that the board is quite thin at the tips.

How does the paint hold up to scratches and stuff. What color shows through when the black is scratched on reef or whatever?

How would you rate this board's upwind performance? I notice some of the new breed wake style twins add a heel side fin for improved bite and upwind performance.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate your help.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Fri May 24, 2002 8:57 am

as far as i know, you can ride the x-shooter with bindings, if you wish.

no - these footstraps are not the ones on the x-shooters i've seen - they are like the nsi or
slingshot footstraps.
let me tell you, that when you've tried the x-shooter in original setup, you'll immediately forget about the anti-binding :wink:

a leash - plug is not there, you can mount the leash under one of the washers or just knot it to the handle.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri May 24, 2002 9:34 am

they come with wide straps, which are not shown on a pic yet.
Next week there should be new photos of it.
You can remove the pads and it has binding holes. No leash plug, but a setup like Murdoc already explained under a washer with an eye to attach.
If you scratch off all white you will see carbon, but it is enough white on it, so you can ride over many stones to see it.
I don't have any problems to go upwind with it, it doesn't need additional fins.

The pad and straps position are perfect (at least for me). So whatever you want to do or ride, shouldn't be a problem.

Greetings
Toby

Postby Guest » Sun May 26, 2002 10:28 pm

Hi everybody!
i ride this board now since nearly 1 month. I ride it in very choppy conditions, and i use big fins. So this helped me a lot to change, cause i was riding directionals before. I like the good grip of the big fins, cause i can ride it without edging too much which makes it faster in light wind conditions. I am a lucky guy, cause i can ride it with the coplete range of X2 kites. Its a really good combination. Upwind performance is very good, fast planning and a friend of mine who is something like a beginner could ride it too from the very first try. Everything is possible with this board. Especially blind side tricks are working easyly. I can only say: Try it and you will like it. Its like every board you want to buy. If you can, take a ride before you buy it. So many boards on the market dont work like they should. But the x Shooter does. Thats why everybody says: Try it and find it out for yourself. Cause they are sure that its good.

Bernie

Return to “Kitesurfing”