Ski Jump???

Forum for snow- and landkiters
tazz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tazz » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:55 am

To jump with skis on snow,Does anyone have any tips?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:06 am

You can get going on snow without too much power, but to jump you're going to need plenty of power. Probably better to try with your bigger kite because it will give you more loft & float.

Head a little bit upwind & bring your kite up to about 2 o'clock. Turn the kite back sharply against your direction of travel, flex your knees & as the kithe kite will head back to about 11 o'clock; immediately after taking off, pull on the front of the bar( front handle) to bring the kite back to 12 o'clock. Depending on your height you may be able to bring the kite back lower to give some speed when you land.

Because you're generally not as powered up as you are on the water, you will use your speed & the speed of the kite to produce more lift. Other than raw power, getting a good jump will depend on the timing: a good jump will loft you as the kite moves back, lift you higher as the kite moves forward again to the zenith & float you down comfortably as you bring the kite further forward & land at speed. A bad jump can be nasty.

Start with little hops as you get used to the feel of the kite lifting you. Try with more power as you get comfortable controlling the kite.

Good Luck!

tazz
Rare Poster

Postby tazz » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:23 pm

Thanks Flyboy
I,ll try that jump when I get out.
Today we are having a ice storm every thing is frozen heavy ice on the trees & power lines.No skiing this weekend.

tazz
Rare Poster

Postby tazz » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:27 pm

Hey Flyboy
I have been practicing my jumps things are going good, very few bruises!
Anyone else have special tips on ski jumping on snow?

Otg
Medium Poster

Postby Otg » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:17 pm

I was out snowkiting today.. and I really could have used the tips above.. but it went pretty well anyway. Just a few bruises and a huge bump on my head.. Regarding the Jumping I would say that it is all about timing and getting a feeling for when to jump. I rode for about 5 hours in around 7-9ms on my Mach1 12. My highest jump was around 2m high and 8m long... which I thought was pretty damn good! The only problem I was having in the beginning was that the kite would fall out of the window after a jump, to avoid this you have to turn the kite into the direction you are travelling in, when doing the jump. The advice above is really good, the only other thing i could think of is to try to push yourself upwind just before the jump. It takes a few times to learn the technique but when you get it your going to have soooo much fun, its such an amazing feeling to just get lifted of the ground and float away... then you only have the problem that you have to land, which CAN be quite painfull if your not wearing lots of pads, helmet and are kiting on a frozen lake with 10cm thick snow...

Good Luck /// Olle :P

tazz
Rare Poster

Postby tazz » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:03 am

Hey Otg
What kite are you jumping with, I,m using a 5m airea Bronto its my biggest one. I also have a 3.8m & a 2.6m skytigers good kites but you need alot of wind to jump with them.
Also do you use skis or a snow board?
Atlantic Canada/ We have lots of snow and ice here this winter.
tazz

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:19 am

Hey Tazz

here's a few tips that may help. finally got some snow recently, so jumping with skis is much easier on snow than ice. landings suck on ice if you screw up. here's what i use for gear and it works great. K2 enemy twin tip skis with a flysurfer psycho 9.5 or slingshot B series. definitely like the psycho better while riding and jumping is awesome once you get the timing down. set up sucks at times if the bridle has any twists in it, but that's my problem. anyone have any suggestions for winding the lines clean? the twins work great for riding switch and hold an edge really well without being too turny.

having power is the key and speed definitely helps. the more power, while in control, the better. so if your cruising with the kite at 10:30 or 11:00, what works for me is to crank the bar hard and fast to send the kite in the opposite direction. If you're really overpowered, be careful and don't be too aggressive. At the same time, I try to edge hard and almost touch my ass to the snow. as soon as i feel the pull, i start to bring the kite back in the other direction to get it overhead again. then as i get close to landing, i bring the kite forward so i can land with some speed and the kite doesn't collapse(sp?). So a visual on the timing thing for takeoff is to see yourself cruising at speed but not edging to much, just enough to keep your ground. then the second you crank on the bar, drop you ass to the snow and wait for the pull. now it's time to enjoy the view and do your tricks. ride on.

i've been getting only about 8-10 feet, but 2,3 maybe 4 seconds hang time with really soft landings. thank you psycho. more snow, more height is my guess.

on takeoff, if your balanced in the center of the skis, you'll land perfect. if you're in the backseat on takeoff, that's how you'll land. obvious? maybe, but still good to keep in mind.

i have a skiing tip also to help with edging and holding the power. the majority of skiers ride with downwind or outside ski edged alot more than the windward or inside ski. so one ski is edged a ton while the other is just hanging around not doing much and hardly edged. the knees are almost touching, but the skis are far apart. this works ok, but try this the next time your cruising. try to keep your knees and skis the same distance apart. with that inside ski, keep tipping it on more and more of and edge and the outside ski will match its' angle. this is really powerful once you get used to it and get it dialed in. it also takes the pressure off of one skis and helps with leg stress. modern skis are made for skiing on equal edge angles. if you try it, let me know if it works.

...........ride what you like, like what you ride................

bob

Otg
Medium Poster

Postby Otg » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:47 am

Hello Tazz and bob...

To start with I use skiis! I tried using my friends snowboard yesterday.. and Im NEVER putting a f-cking snowboard on my feet again... at least not with a kite above me and 8-9m/s.. Edging is soo hard on a snowboard compared to skiis especially when you are riding on a frozen lake with varying snowdepth.. Anyway.. my equipment: Atomic skiis dont know what they are called but they are blue.. and a Mach1 12m2 (tube).. and sometimes I take my snowracer with me but thats just for fun...
Bob.. I will try that edging technique today when I go out .. I also have another tip.. when your in the air dont kick with your legs, this can result in the skiis coming of your feet.. and trust me landing on one ski is not easy, especially if you dont know that you have lost the other one.. Your friends will think this is funny though. Just a little tip...

Best regards/// Otg :evil: [/u]

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:06 pm

Hey Otg,

I know exactly what you mean on loosing a ski. A few days ago, I was going into a turn full speed and caught a patch of ice/snow that was travelled over by 4 wheelers going to there shacks to........ So i hit the patch and one ski comes off and i do the slide for life right across this mucked up ice. Scraped up my hand and wrist even though I had full coverage from gloves and jacket. So I cranked the setting on the bindings so they will not come off as easy. Let me know how the tip works.

...........ride what you like, like what you ride..........
Bob
Kite-riders

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:46 pm

Hi
bob & otg
I had an perfect day kite skiing winds about 20 mph
used my Hi-40 skytiger the snow was hard packed with lots of natural bumps. This was great for jumping all the info you guys gave me helped,
also I threw away my Q- link line and put a rope on. I use handels.
The link line used to slip of some times when I went to jump this can be painfull on the shoulder. Now with the rope fixed I do,nt have to worry about that & I can focus on the jump better.It works.
Thanks again.
my jumps were only about 3'-4' height but I could do them when I wanted to And land smooth.

Return to “Snow / Land”