Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding in Iran?

Forum for kitesurfers
billb
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby billb » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:55 am

I work in Baku, capital of Azerbaijan just north of Iran, and its on the Caspian Sea.

Its windy alot of the year in Baku, summer is better because its warm, board short temp from June to end of September and there are good sea breezes from the south pretty regularly. We get strong northerly winds that last 2-3 days once every 2 weeks pretty much all year. April and early May you may need to have a steamer as the water takes a while to heat up.

There look some good spots on google earth, lagoons as well as exposed beaches etc - get into it and put it on kite beaches if you go

Bill

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eldadgold » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:03 am

just be carefull and don't push the big red button or we will all go kaput !!!

RG
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby RG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:51 am

JBo wrote:Kidding aside: I thought kiting was forbidden in the Muslim world :?: :?:
Your thinking of the Taliban banning "kite fighting" in Afghanistan a few years back. The book titled "The Kite Runner" makes for a good read.

Kitesurfing is is alive and well in Muslim countries throughout the Middle East and Pacific region.

http://kuwaitkite.10.forumer.com/index.php :thumb:

http://www.dubaikiteforum.com/forum/index.php :thumb:

There are also kiters in Bahrain, Oman, Jordan, and Lebanon, not to mention the world class kiting in Egypt and Indonesia.

wallyman
Frequent Poster

Postby wallyman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:30 pm

There is definatley wind not far from Tehran. On the way to Rasht there is a lake on the left side which is surrounded by wind generators.

I remember there being alot of wind there, whitecaps covering the lake, and thought what a great place it would be to kite.

You'd have to ask for some local info about it. Be careful in Tehran after dark I got mobbed by about 6 seedy guys, but managed to break free.

Cabarete Kite Lounge
Medium Poster

There was a man

Postby Cabarete Kite Lounge » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:11 pm

We had a guy come through the Kite Lounge who had kited there.

He was a real adventurer. He owned a swiss computer consuting company, and drove his modified Land Rover all the way down, and would camp in the middle of nowhere next to the sea and kite. Apparently it was pretty good, but sucks ass if you're in trouble with your kite, cause there was no one there to help him.

If you want, pm me and I'll try to find his email.

Cheers,

The Kite Lounge
Kitebeach, Cabarete
http://www.kitelounge.com

SS Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby SS Kiter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Take a white kite for those "nuclear winds". They may think it is a white flag... :lol:

JChau
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Nobile, Brunotti, Crazyfly, Royal

Postby JChau » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:20 pm

thanx for all the info & humour.

I'm going to work there, and i reckon if i can go kiteboarding as well, it would be once in a life-time experience.

And interesting to find there is a "advance-kites.com" dealer in Iran...

cheers

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:14 pm

This just on the wires:

Man sieged off Iran's coastal waters turns out to be member of the British secret service under the guise of a KITESURFER.

Had a camera hidden in his kite and was photographing coastal military installations from the air. His beheading awaits....

ruffridah89
Frequent Poster

Postby ruffridah89 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 pm

Your thinking of the Taliban banning "kite fighting" in Afghanistan a few years back. The book titled "The Kite Runner" makes for a good read.
That book is amazing. But don't get confused guys....Amir and Hassan were the first kitesurfers, dating back to the 70's!
-Danny

howdoyouflythisthing
Medium Poster

Postby howdoyouflythisthing » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:45 pm

If you need a support boat I belive you might want to check the Iranian ebay site. There is a rigid raider inflatable boat for sale, "like new", one careful owner, slightly dodgy GPS...

Return to “Kitesurfing”