Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
TiagoAlbarran
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New home made board!

Postby TiagoAlbarran » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:58 pm

Hey everybody, just wanted to share with you my latest board.

Its a 135 x 44, with a outline of a Nobile 666 (CAD plotted). Its a wood core board, with a glass / carbon laminate. Its ultra thin, with 6mm total thickness.

Sadly, its more flexible then i wanted... Should have used more carbon and some tri ax glass... Oh well... it makes a good board to ride in the chop... it feels like a Mercedes :D

I'm still finishing the deco work... adding some more symbols.. just put it the symbol for "Dragon" in japonese. :D I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have... i'm not realy a very good artist hehe... I still have to do the bottom of the board... if anyone wants to give me a hand at designing it hehhe :D
Attachments
DSC_7068.jpg
DSC_7068.jpg (72.17 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
DSC_7069.jpg
DSC_7069.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
DSC_7074.jpg
DSC_7074.jpg (84.56 KiB) Viewed 3948 times

navigator
Rare Poster

Postby navigator » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:32 am

Hey Tiago, the board is coming out great. Don´t forget to put a picture showing that rocker and extra thin rail :P

Keep up the good work :thumb:

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:04 am

Nice board .What core did you use?

TiagoAlbarran
Medium Poster

Postby TiagoAlbarran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:54 pm

Hey!

The core is a sheet of 5mm plywood.

Thank's!

Jimneybob
Rare Poster

Postby Jimneybob » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:56 pm

That board is a beaut! Wish I could do something like that. Best get practicing. Do you think thicker wood core or more glass/carbon is the answer to the flexibility? I've only worked in wood so far but would like to progress to composites and thin/lighten my boards.

TiagoAlbarran
Medium Poster

Postby TiagoAlbarran » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey! Yes, i think thicker wood would do the trick. I've got a 8mm wood core board that has very good flex. The thing is... 8mm + glass fiber is a bit on the heavy side... i'm not very particular on weight.. but... one has to admit that 8mm wood core + laminate makes for a pretty hefty board... :)

Keeping with the wood core solution, there is no reason why one can't make holes on the tips of the board, thus making it lighter. In order to prevent core / laminate "gluing" problems one could fill the holes with some kind of foam.

The "hole" solution has one problem... i made a CAD simulation of a 135 x 44 board with holes allllll over, and got a weight reduction of about 20%, regarding only the core. Thats great, to me at least... :(

The bottom line, for me, is... 8mm and up boards are perfect to get in to board building, and to make boards quickly. They are heavy, but ride great.

+/- 5mm wood core boards are WAY to thin and need heavy carbon / glass and / or tri ax. -> i wont be doing this again... the board is good... but its "special" board... on flat water i wish i had something with less flex...

The way to go, again, for me, are wood - foam constructions. Airex C70.71 is a great material... This way, i can have a full wood core, and then add 5 or 6mm of foam on top of that leaving the tips out. This makes a board with thin tips, that flex great, and a stiffer middle section.

The main concept here is that... the only thing that matters is moment of inertia, and that means thickness. The ticker the more resistant. By adding thickness one is making the laminate work less in "flection" and more in traction / compression. Keep in mind that we want traction, compression is not your friend.. but is unfortunately always present.. :(

Just a quick note about my board, its nothing special really... just yellow paint and quick black vinyl. Just buy black stick on vinyl and print something of your PC, overlay the printed paper and your vinyl and cut with a x-acto knife :D Very easy really... just happens to look good i think!

Cheers! Tiago

simonmcc
Rare Poster

Postby simonmcc » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:46 am

TiagoAlbarran wrote:Just a quick note about my board, its nothing special really... just yellow paint and quick black vinyl. Just buy black stick on vinyl and print something of your PC, overlay the printed paper and your vinyl and cut with a x-acto knife :D Very easy really... just happens to look good i think!

Cheers! Tiago
Did you gloss over the vinyl? What paint did you use, and how many coats?

Thanks

s.

TiagoAlbarran
Medium Poster

Postby TiagoAlbarran » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:21 pm

right now there is nothing over the vinyl, but i will seal it with acrilic varnish. The paint is basic spray paint. Is a cellulose base paint from a brand called "Pluricor". Its just about the worse paint money can buy :P but... it works ok, and with a good varnish its great. It costs about... 4$ a can, i used 5 cans for the board. About... 3 or 4 coats on each side. :)

Tiago

simonmcc
Rare Poster

Postby simonmcc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:10 am

TiagoAlbarran wrote:right now there is nothing over the vinyl, but i will seal it with acrilic varnish. The paint is basic spray paint. Is a cellulose base paint from a brand called "Pluricor". Its just about the worse paint money can buy :P but... it works ok, and with a good varnish its great. It costs about... 4$ a can, i used 5 cans for the board. About... 3 or 4 coats on each side. :)

Tiago
Ok, thanks!

S.

Return to “Gear Builders”