Abildgaard84
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Algarve in July, kitesizes and spots

Postby Abildgaard84 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi fellow kiters

My girlfriend and I have just booked ticket to Faro and will be staying there the first 2 weeks of july and would appreciate some local insight.
We are a little in doubt about which kites to bring. At the moment we have a 9 and a 14 m2 bow. We are planning on buying one more 7 or 11 m2, which one would be the best for the wind in algarve in july. I weigh around 80 kg and my girlfriend around 60 kg.

I have been searching the internet for spots around Faro and it seems that there are many cool spots. Which is the best beginner spot, my girlfriend is quiet new in the sport?

Thanks

Knud Kragh

hugot
Medium Poster

Postby hugot » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:48 am

Some other guys in the forum can help you better then I, but i think that a great place place for starters is http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/ ... hp?id=1005 it's near lagos and alvor

:bye:

bill_kelso
Rare Poster

Postby bill_kelso » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi there,

Alvor is very nice, the lagoon great for flat water - can get crowded sometimes. As this is on the other side of Algarve, save it for some day(s) when travelling there. If you are staying in Faro, check this spot ( http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/ ... php?id=712 ). You can walk 15/20 minutes to the left edge to run away from crowds.

Not far from Faro, around 30 km towards Spain, you will find Cabanas de Tavira ( http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/ ... hp?id=2341 ), also a nice spot. Usually you should not need the 7m bow: 9, 11 and 14 cover all your needs for July. Assuming both of you can ride, all sizes are for bow kites and that you ride one size bigger than your girlfriend, she will be using 11 most of the time, sometimes 9 and you will be using 14, sometimes 11. Alvor is stronger, still ok for 9 and 11.

Have fun!

BK

Abildgaard84
Rare Poster

Postby Abildgaard84 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:03 am

Thank you very much for your replies!! We have just book hotel and car so everything should be ready for 2 fun weeks!

See you in july

Knud

Return to “Kitesurfing”