Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review Eclipse Thruster 14.0 2007

Postby Jlauby7777 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Review for Eclipse Thruster 2007 14.0

Times tested: 1
Range: 15kn to 20kn

Good: Very quick handling, light bar pressure, good kite feel, super relaunch, good power

Bad: none in stock now.

Review: This is the fastest 14m kite I have flown, It has super feel with almost no bar pressure. Relaunches good as any bow, Very comfortasble to ride. Great from beginner to expert. Have to own these kites soon.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 91-100
Ability: Intermediate
Style: All
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 14.0
Most Used Kite Size: 14.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Team Rider
Similar gear used: Switchblade 1 & 2, Crossbow 1&2, Best Wahroo

For pictures and more reviews click here

CameraGuy
Medium Poster

Postby CameraGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:12 am

hello 7777

i was able to ride the new 16m thruster a week ago. in 14-24mph at 195lbs advanced rider.

and kiteboarding for me has not been the same since. this kite blew my mind
it was fast, smooth and most importantly balanced. Possibly the most fun I have had on a "big" kite with 5-6 second boosts pulling tricks not possible for me before.

My friend was on a Naish 2007 boxer and was getting bounced around in the gusts while i was pegging loops and lip smacks all comfortable and smiles. The boxer might be a great kite but compared to this kite not even close.

not to over sell this brand or the product but the eclipse group will but what the big boys are going to have to copy next year to stay competitive since this IMO is the best kite on the market for advanced powered kiting styles hands down. of course the kite is just the kite but the thruster does help make advanced moves easier.

my suggestion would be to try this kite before you even consider another kite.

i posted this pic last week but it might help
Attachments
16m.jpeg
16m.jpeg (21.96 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

andydimitri
Rare Poster

thruster 16

Postby andydimitri » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:47 pm

hey cameraguy

were you overpowered at 24 using the 16 meter thruster? i usually have to switch from my 16.5 contra (2004) to my 12 meter rhino when the wind goes above ~18 knts.

how does the low end compared to other light kites (i.e. contra)?

i'm considering this kite (dont see any demo days here) i'm 215 lbs and ride mostly in southern cal -- light wind

cheers

andrew

CameraGuy
Medium Poster

Postby CameraGuy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:19 pm

yo andrew

my time with this kite was pure bliss. when the wind picked i was not feeling out of control but more like -cool now i have this power to grab 5- to 6 second boosts. in 24mph wind i seemed to have plenty of depower left in the CL. my friend was on a 15 boxer in the same wind and was getting pulled off edge in the gusts. compared to the Contra this kite is designed to fly quick not just sit in park mode. to date this kite has been the best kite i have ever been on and i dislike big kites. and it is not like Dimitri or any one was there to selling me on it, my review is unsolicited.

bottom line - cool group of owners, great product, fair price and they even donate to a cancer foundation.

andydimitri
Rare Poster

Postby andydimitri » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 pm

thanks -- good to know

my main concern was getting too overpowered in higher winds

GMan
Medium Poster

Postby GMan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Nice to hear that the kite is that good... It seems to be the only +14 size SLE that is worth talking about. It would be great to hear more about the low end. Would it work for 11knts for a 200lbs guy? I am sure the top end will be fine, specially since once it hits 16knts I rather use my 11 Sonic...

G

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm

i (73kg) have been out in 8-9knots on a directional and a 12m thruster . I can't jibe , so had to sink and turn the board round to get going back again. Was staying upwind easily.

the big size + faster turn speed seems to = great low end.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:20 pm

Oh , and still loads of fun. For me big kits are too slow, and get boring quickly once you get out.

The 14m turns like an 11m so is great fun , unlike many other large kites out there. I haven tested the low end of the 14m yet , but the 12m's low end was very impressive.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:24 pm

demoed the 14 in basically no wind and was still impressed even just flying it on the beach.

the kite definitely turns like a 12 or smaller and not like other 14s. It very impressive alowing you to work the kite to generate power.

I also noticed that the kite seems to behave unhooked well. I unhooked without any trim and the kite had no problem sitting at the zenith. My waroo would have certainly back stalled in these conditions.

Only thing thats a little wierd is the basically non existant bar pressure which takes some getting used to.

Overall nice kite and i defintely want to get a go on one in some powered conditions.

PS not sure how i like the bar yet but the stopper cleat is sweet

GMan
Medium Poster

Postby GMan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Sounds nice.. It seems it turns fast, but is it also fast through the window? My Caution Answer turns really fast... but does not generate much power as it is not very fast through the window :roll:

G

Return to “Kitesurfing”