sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:50 pm

typically yes.
but then paragliders are open and thick.

the reason for the thickness of the leading edge of a foil is down to its foil profile, and little else, and the drag the leading edge of a foil creates is nothing like the drag geneerated from a tubular strut of the same size.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:51 pm

Guys, just a pointer, water conditions can be very deceptive, in playa del carmen, the channel between the beach and Cozumel is always really choppy and there are always tons of whitecaps, but you take out a windmeter and there is like 6-8 knots. But in the middle of the channel it is very windy, which sends the waves, on which whitecaps for easier. Don't forget that capetown is on the roaring 40's which generates very turbulent seas. Whitecaps form much easier on already choppy water, than on flat water. Still, i do not believe there is 8,10 or even 12 knots in the picture. There has to be more, because no matter how powerful a kite is, you can't jump that much in so little wind, especially with an 8.5 foil. Chris is a pro though, and i don't think he would go making stupid claims like that if there wasn't some truth behind it. I hope it is true, that would be incredible. Remember that the windspeed on the ground can be much less than 30 meters up,
Andres

Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:53 pm

sq225917 wrote: and the drag the leading edge of a foil creates is nothing like the drag geneerated from a tubular strut of the same size.
too bad the bridle makes up for it :lol:

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:33 pm

So if i had my inflatable i would have gone 16m in those conditions.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:50 pm

yup.
:D

pete.b
Rare Poster

Postby pete.b » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:52 pm

yeap i got to agree it does look like much more wind than 8 knots, but the fact remains foils are the best efficiant kites in light winds and strong winds,
the only things seem to still holding ground on light days here seem to be blades and recently 15.5 psycos, they do seem to be the dogs b........, chris from poole just got one and the guys measured the wind at 6 knots with him holding his ground, all the lei boys just watching, who says they aint light wind kites, looked pretty good to me.
also ,pump me up if you refer to previous posts as you say you will see the guy from maui saying that all the boys out there when the wind is ballistic get the 4.9 blades out on 40m lines and boost 50ft, wonder why that is

foils aren't for you?

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:50 pm

Funny how inflato people want to keep putting foilers down... I say keep on pumping, paying more, untangling and getting dragged down the beach... foils definately aren't for you!

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:07 pm

Yeah, probably more than 8kts. Maybe that was the reading on the beach. If 10kts was the average and the air was dence, filled in and slightly stronger on the water, which is pretty typical, then they are probably not far off. The bar does look pretty long (30+ inches) which would make the kite turn faster, hence higher jumps. Thought the new Blades were going to be used with smaller bars???

Chris, care to enlighten us?

Knots to MPH if you care
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/media/appendix/wind.htm

bubba
Medium Poster

Postby bubba » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:29 pm

does anybody remember the old F-one add

"Planning in 8knots" foil kite

the lie has been around for a while.

zfennell