Forum for kitesurfers
badmrfrosty
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jobs in Carribean.... God I'm stupid

Postby badmrfrosty » Mon May 14, 2007 1:58 am

Ok so I am tried of NYC. I was always faking it being here. I want to just move to the Caribbean and live even if it is meagerly. I'm a very bright kid and realize that the opportunities there are dwarfed by the ones in nyc. So much opportunity here but I really don't care any more and was hoping someone could give me some advice on trying to go to the Caribbean and be mildly successful. I want a lifestyle change.

Or even just a job where I could work and take off when I want. I don't mind working 40hrs in 3 days if I can pick my days off. I don't mind working 80hrs (as i have) i just want some control. I graduated with a computer science degree but have been working in finance.

3weeks a year just isn't going to do it for me unless I live on the beach. Or have a flexible schedule. I just don't think I can take being strapped to a desk all week.

KiteMyAssOff
Medium Poster

Postby KiteMyAssOff » Mon May 14, 2007 4:28 am

I would probably focus on my investments, and retire at 35.....then you can lie on the beach drinking cocktails, much better option than selling island atire to make a living :)

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon May 14, 2007 7:29 am

KiteMyAssOff wrote:I would probably focus on my investments, and retire at 35.....then you can lie on the beach drinking cocktails, much better option than selling island atire to make a living :)
Two problems with that plan. You have to start with something to invest, and there are very few people that can do so well in the market that they can retire at 35. If you're one of those people you're very smart, very lucky, or both.

Tommyboy
Medium Poster

Postby Tommyboy » Mon May 14, 2007 8:07 am

I say do it for a year or two to get it out of your system. (The time to do it is when your young, have no mortgage, wife, family) Then move to a warm place where you can kite all year round with a good size season (7 months or so). Focus on making money. Then be able to do it whenever you want when your financially stable 8)

If anyone out there has a good plan to kite as much as possible and still make lots of money..let's hear it.

I'm still tryin' to figure out what I'm to do when I graduate :-?

mattvogel
Rare Poster

Postby mattvogel » Mon May 14, 2007 8:40 am

First I would have to say I like your idea but you may be going about this the wrong way.

The Carribean is nice but would be a very hard place to get a good job. Without funds how are you going to buy new gear?

A better alternative would be to find a place with a job that also has a great kite surfing spot, which is what I assume you are trying to do.

I was able to get a job overseas working for the man, US Gov., in a place that has year round kite surfing and I can get out at least 3-4 days a week if not more. I live and work only 15-20 minutes from some awesome places. I can even go kitesurfing at lunch if the conditions are right.

The attached picture was taken in February!

If I ever have to leave here I would be looking for jobs either in Florida, Texas near Corpus Cristie, or North Carolina. All of these places are top kite surfing destinations that will also have good job potential. I know California has good kite surfing too but it is way too expensive out there for me.

I know the thought of living the good life on a island is seductive but I say go for a place with high job potential. You will be much happier when you can afford to actually kitesurf. Also do not give up the dream. If you want it bad enough it will happen. Another option that you might want to investigate is Bermuda. It is not in the Carribean but it is beautiful and there are a ton of finance companies there. It is a meca for companies that want to offshore their headquarters to avoid taxes. I lived there for 2 years and it was awesome. I did not start kitesurfing until I moved to Japan but there were a ton of great spots to ride as I remeber and there was always wind.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (88.3 KiB) Viewed 1905 times

USAKiter
Medium Poster

Postby USAKiter » Mon May 14, 2007 11:30 am

In today's virtual, global environment you no longer need to be 'onsite' to effectively do your job and make some coin.

I was working in MA a couple of years ago, decided I hated New England and moved to Florida to start as a consultant.

That was 4 years ago. I now have more clients and make more money. Most of your clients will come from your existing network and coworkers, but you can always use guru.com or hire a coder, etc. You might have a do a few project that aren't a good fit, but prove yourself and you'll have your foot in the door and get the responsibilities you deserve.

Solution, the Caribbean, some wind and an internet connection.

cuica
Medium Poster

Postby cuica » Mon May 14, 2007 8:21 pm

It IS possible.

I worked as a computer programmer for 10 years in the UK before moving to a provincial town in Greece in 2004.

To start with it was difficult to make enough to get by, but I have enough freelance work now to make ends meet, among other things. And yes, I can go to the beach whenever I want.

I would have made a lot more money staying in the UK, but life is much richer here in other ways.

Cabarete Kite Lounge
Medium Poster

It's as easy as just doing it

Postby Cabarete Kite Lounge » Tue May 15, 2007 2:55 am

I have to agree with USAkiter. The internet has made the world a much smaller place. Each island has it's pro's and cons, but for what you're looking for, you need reliable internet and multiple flights to the US.

After living in a couple Carribean islands, I setteled on the Dominican so I am biased. It has what I like, but it's not for everyone.

The hardest part is having the courage to do it. You will be surprised at the options in life that your guidance counsiler didn't tell you about. You just have to have the 'balls' to go and find them.

The Kite Lounge
Kitebeach Cabarete
http://www.kitelounge.com

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's

Postby tristonjah » Tue May 15, 2007 3:27 am

I live in florida and it is pretty close to the island feel im currently in school and the only pesron that beats me to the spots on windy days is a computer programmer because he picks his hours. Dont forget to pick somewhere with good healthcare if you do go to the islands because I would like to be anesthized for surgeries and such.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Wed May 16, 2007 11:41 am

I live in Hawaii..sure awesome, but:
I work all day to be able to live here.
I have a good job, when it's windy and kick ass out there, I can leave.
So I kite, but can't eat.

People say, invest money...you need money first !
If you had money to invest, we would not have this conversation.

Caribbean is cheaper to live but you can not make money, just survive...same here, unless you work your ass off, but why live in paradise if you can't enjoy it....
...catch 22 '

I still love it though
could not imagine to live in NY...yikes...

Return to “Kitesurfing”