Flysurfer Speed 2 Silver Arrow Fabric Issues

Forum for kitesurfers
TurcoLoco
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flysurfer Speed 2 Silver Arrow Fabric Issues

Postby TurcoLoco » Fri May 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Weighting 230 pounds and looking for a low wind kite the Flysurfer Speed 2 Silver Arrow is an option.
Chemosavi and FredBGG say they are ok.
Is the fabric of the light version too frail?
Should one buy the regular S2-19 or the Silver Arrow?
Are they fun at 12 knots?
I had a X-4 18 that pulled like a truck and had little depower, no fun.
In my country getting one is marryage for life.
Can the kite be ridden in big surf in 8 to 12 knots conditions?
Is the 15 a better kite between 8 to 12 knots?
A lot of questions for a lot of money in these kites.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Re: Flysurfer Speed 2 Silver Arrow Fabric Issues

Postby chemosavi » Fri May 18, 2007 10:29 pm

TurcoLoco wrote:Weighting 230 pounds and looking for a low wind kite the Flysurfer Speed 2 Silver Arrow is an option.
Chemosavi and FredBGG say they are ok.
Is the fabric of the light version too frail?
Should one buy the regular S2-19 or the Silver Arrow?
Are they fun at 12 knots?
I had a X-4 18 that pulled like a truck and had little depower, no fun.
In my country getting one is marryage for life.
Can the kite be ridden in big surf in 8 to 12 knots conditions?
Is the 15 a better kite between 8 to 12 knots?
A lot of questions for a lot of money in these kites.
Jess get the regular 19 unless you want to fart around in really light winds. 12 knots the kite is well powered and quite "fun" though's there's plenty-o-folk who gauge that differently. Jumps to ~ 5-6 meters are possible for me @ 92kg in twelve knots. I've been out in 18 knots with this kite and wasn't tempted to depower at all; the kite just moves further ahead into the window. Drop this kite, like any other big kite, in big surf and well, kinda probably not a gung-ho idea. No problem back stalling to relaunch off the leading edge for me.

The 15 isn't big enough for you but it probably turns a lot faster. (Lotta good that'll do you unless you diet a crapload.) Considering this kite is a 26m lei equivalent I suppose it turns pretty fast. Specially if you reach up and grab a line. I haven't used my contra 14 since I got this one.

Some folks thought the contra 17 was about the same power wise (not Fred) as the speed-17 but I'll bet the contra turns a lot faster and is better in down the line surf stuff. This new kite turns much faster than the s-17 and has more power and stability.

Good luck with your upcoming marriage....

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sflinux » Fri May 18, 2007 11:26 pm

I have a S1-17 and SilverArrow1. The silver arrow fabric (assume it's the same as what's on the SA2) is very fragile, reminds me of silk. I laid the kite out in my "rock free" parking lot (freshly paved) and was installing the FDS kit. It was a relatively windless day but a couple gusts came through dragging the kite ~ 6 feet. When I was rolling up the kite I was shocked to find a hole bigger than a golfball on the SA fabric. I've laid other flysurfer kites out in this same lot and have never had a problem with the traditional fabric. The SA fabric is best for soft areas like snow.
For your weight, get the S2-19 for 12 knots, it will be well powered. I doubt the 15M would be much fun for you in 8 knots. The S2 no longer has backstall like the S1-17, so no need for the SA fabric unless you want to be riding snow in a fart of wind.

domdino
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach CA, Gilgo NY, Rhosilli Bay WALES
Style: Free
Gear: Ocean Rodeos for the moment...
Brand Affiliation: Atomickiteboarding.com

Postby domdino » Sat May 19, 2007 12:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtGY5oBooE

that's what fred was getting up to in even less than 12kts! I understand they are not the best kites for wave riding though... the psychoIII is better suited in that department.

If you need a light winder though, there doesn't seem to be much anywhere near the performance of the speed. Although 12kts should be enough wind to get you going on a number of kites if that's the average speed, including the psycho 17 which might work better in the waves. I've not flown one though, so who knows :oops: :thumb:

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

SA2

Postby TurcoLoco » Sat May 19, 2007 3:40 am

Thank you all!
From what I understood the lighter fabric is just to keep the kite in the sky in 5 knots lulls and has no percptible advantage from 6 to 12+ knots.
Has anyone fallen an SA2 in surf?
How many sessions are these kites suposed to last before steching etc?
Is the Speed 2 19 fun to fly above 12? A tube 16 is fun in 12+. If not are these kites only ment to be used from 6 to 12?
Does the SA2 and regular Speed 19 start at the same windspeed for KITESURFING?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat May 19, 2007 4:13 am

you might want to go on foilzone.com and check with armin. i remember him saying the SA version has it's greatest benefits on snow. not as much benefit on water. it would be worth asking the question.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat May 19, 2007 5:30 am

If you are just taking it on the water, the SA2 is not going to get you riding any earlier than the Speed 2 19M. The only advantages on the water are quicker inflation and the kite will stay in the air during lulls down to 5 mph.

On the snow, the SA2 is amazing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”