AIRPORTS AND KITING ????

Forum for kitesurfers
SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Wed May 29, 2002 11:55 pm

I'VE READ SEVERAL THINGS ON THE NET PLACES TO KITE AND PLACES TO NOT KITE? SEEMS TO ME HAWAII MAINLEY AFTER THE BAND OF KITING AT SOME BEACHES.. SO TELL ME IS IT NOT TRUE YOU SHOULD NOT BE W/ IN 3-5 MILES OF A AIRPORT?
HMMMMMMMM.......
SO TELL ME WHY, AND I CHUCKLE AS I TYPE THIS.. I WATCH A CAM OF KITE BEACH ALL DAY..IT UPDATES EVERY 10 SECONDS.. BEFORE MY EYES THERES 3 KITES HIGH IN THE SKY AND BEHIND IT NOT TOO FAR WAS A LARGE COMMERCIAL AIRPLANE TAKING OFF AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE ABOVE THE TREES.. IT WAS A AWSOME SIGHT...
SHOULDNT THEY PRACTICE WHAT THEY PREACH ???
KIND OF FUNNY I THINK...

SKY HIGH
STEVE

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 2:33 am

It depends
On what country you are in
How close to the airport you are
whether you are in the flight path.
how long your lines are
whether anyone complains
how relaxed are the people in the control tower are.

I actually think the last two are the most important because if you are not flying your kites on the Airport itself or letting go of the kite and having it land on the runway the planes are more of a danger to you then you are to them.

No plane should be flying less then 50m over head so there is no reason for you to get your kite caught.

Here in Rotorua NZ we had some trouble with the airport at the begining and they basically can order you away as a hazard no matter what the law is. Now however they know what we are doing, and we ring them up each time we go out. We get along no hassles, I think they even enjoy seeing us out there.

Stu

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 30, 2002 9:02 am

about Hawaii I had a story that a guy let go of his kite and it flew on the runway.
Don't know if it really happend, but maybe that is why it is forbidden close to airports at some areas.
I know a spot in Germany where it is not allowed to have kites of any kind up because an airport is close by. But I always think, seing that spot that they are nuts, since if a plane would fly that deep, it will hit the houses and not my kite!

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu May 30, 2002 10:38 am

well ... in germany, a kiteline is allowed to be 100m long (it's an old law, exists longer than the german stuntkiters). but based on that - you should keep away from an airport with 100m line(s).

there's a beach @ lanzarote (spain island)
where the airport's directly bhind the beach and the jets fly about 50m over the kites.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu May 30, 2002 11:28 am

Kiteboarding in Maui is heavily regulated and observed by the FAA. No one is getting away with anything there in short. Thanks to major effort by the HKA, kiteboarding has been permitted at Kanaha Beach on the north coast of Maui. Negotiations are underway to expand the rideable area.

It all started with someone complaining, intensely as it happened, about kiteboarding. So, the FAA came up with a 50 year old FAR that restricted kite flying within 5 miles of ANY airport in the USA. If not for the major lobbying of this disgruntled, disturbed individual it is likely that milder conditions may have been imposed on kiteboarding, if any at all.

So, if you ride near an airport, be careful to avoid complaints. Solutions that have been described in other countries make good sense.

Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”