Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Contintental Airlines Luggage Embargo

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 1:22 pm

Hi Everyone,
FYI, be careful when flying Continental. They have a luggage embargo which doesn't allow board boards (oversized luggage more than 62 linear inches). A Continental employee got his small twin tip through but with some minor hassles, and two clients that purchased equipment here in cabarete managed to get boards through going back home, but not without some wheeling, dealing and money from $50-$120.

Marina
Kitexcite
Cabarete, DR

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wetstuff » Thu May 30, 2002 4:47 pm

Good tip Marina! That's a 158 including the padding of the bag.

American Airlines didn't give me any real hassle with a 171 board and 2" of padding. They did ask upon leaving; "Did they charge you for this coming down to DR?" My honest answer was: No.

You heavy traveler-types my want to consider bags without a lot of color or gaudy logo's. The more attention you draw - the better chance you'll pay for it.

Jim UP

.....slow pitch: Hey Marina - Is there any wind in Cabarete this time of the year?

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 4:59 pm

Usually we get a couple days in a row of no wind in May but this year weather has been completely off. Wind was awesome here all this month until the last two days. Now, we have a deep depression hanging over us from Cuba and wind is offshore for the next few days. The natives are restless;-) Good news is we may take a trip to La Salinas by Santo Domingo as wind is perfect there. The beauty of living on an island;-)

Marina

Postby Guest » Fri May 31, 2002 3:22 am

American gave me hard time with my directional. I had to pay $80, because the girl had "to do her job". I only had to pay on the way back which clearly indicates that this lady was overzealous. In retrospect, I should probably have taken it as a carry--on and have the crew take the board in the plane.

-Marc

Return to “Kitesurfing”