Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Self launching a bow

Forum for kitesurfers
Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Clew In » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Dr. Rosen,

What is the difference between being hooked in or having the leash on the chicken loop? The only difference I see is two or three feet.

I would think you would want the leash attached to one of the front lines in order for the kite to be flagged and depowered.

Clew In

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Could someone please spell it out for me!? When self landing, which line is it you are supposed to pull to make the leading edge tip down to the ground?????

"There is a line in each side of the bar and 2 in the middle" level of explaining.

I understand the stage before: Taking it down in the edge of the window as if it was an assisted landing...... It's from the tip hit the ground part.....

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:54 pm

Clew In wrote:Dr. Rosen,

What is the difference between being hooked in or having the leash on the chicken loop? The only difference I see is two or three feet.

I would think you would want the leash attached to one of the front lines in order for the kite to be flagged and depowered.

Clew In
Yes I learned that the hard way :roll:
Your comment is actually the topic of a thread I just posted a few minutes ago, about what to do with the safety leash.......It just seems so much in the way when attached to the line.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby blowhard » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:06 pm

either line will do it ,
as long as it's the highest ,run downwind (20-30 feet) and yank it hard to get the leading edge to rotate downwind and hit the ground
It helps if it's leaning towards the ground when it lands ,by flying it into the ground.
then the wind will help drive it into the ground
there must be a vid of it somewhere
I land them the same way I did C kites

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:11 pm

I ask because i did it wrong once, pulling the same line as if you want to waterstart it when the LE is in the water. If you pull a backline when it's in the water it will start. I would assume you then need to pull one of the front lines to land it ?????
I don't understand how puling either of the 4 lines will have the same effect???

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:12 pm

OzBungy wrote:
There's an even easier way to self-land a bow and it works in any wind strength.

1. Bring it to the ground at the side of the window.
2. Drop the bar and let the kite sit on one tip.
3. Walk upwind until you are about 45 degrees upwind of the kite. This make the kite roll over so it is sitting facing pretty much down into the sand. The kite cannot fly away or do anything at this point.
4. Reach up and grab the upwind front line and pull it to drag the the tip of the kite around so the kite is parked nose down into wind.
5. Walk over and sand the kite or whatever else you want to do to make it safe.

Doesn't work like you say when its over 30 kts and the kite keeps wanting to relaunch itself as soon as it hits the sand instantly, and, especially fully powered into the zone if you even think of trying to work yourself 45 degrees upwind

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:41 pm

no, it won't be easy in out of range for the kite conditions
When in high wind smack it in fairly hard, move downwind and grab the highest in the air string (the one you can reach ,front or back),yank it hard ,
should spin kite on the wingtip on the ground and flop down ,
they will relaunch easily when out of range so watch for that

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ELLINAS » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Experimental player wrote:Yeh,
Its like the designers forgot to test self landing. dumbbows :roll:

Your father must be proud...

TWO THINKS ARE ENDLESS : 1)HUMAN STUPIDITY
and... 2) UNIVERSE.

FOR THE SECOND ONE I AM NOT SURE...

AINSTAIN

...experimental player...your stupidity is bigger than the universe....

Aris

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Clew In wrote:Hey OZ,

What do you mean by drop the bar? Do you mean sheet all the way out?

Also, do you mean downwind of the kite? It seems if you walk up wind you will be putting the kite in the power zone and it will not fall over?

Sounds like a great meathod.

Clew In
I mean drop the bar as in push all the way out. I just drop it completely.

You walk upwind so that the kite is downwind and it rolls over and points nose down into the sand. Once it is nose down into the sand it cannot do anything bad. It is flying itself into the ground and cannot get away. If you walk downwind the kite will fal lover and roll away and you don't want that.

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:Could someone please spell it out for me!? When self landing, which line is it you are supposed to pull to make the leading edge tip down to the ground?????

"There is a line in each side of the bar and 2 in the middle" level of explaining.

I understand the stage before: Taking it down in the edge of the window as if it was an assisted landing...... It's from the tip hit the ground part.....
There are two lines in the MIDDLE.

Pull the TOP one.

They are your REAR lines

Return to “Kitesurfing”