Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:25 am

winding the lines.
don't know if it helps but here goes.

roll the bar until you are past the leash and then wind the lines up figure of eight style until just below the bridle, then tie a half hitch, roll the kite up and place the bar on the middle of the rolled kite.

and next time any of you think you've had a poor day just spare a thought for us in the uk who don't get any snow and have to kitesurf in zero temp.

jealous, moi?

Otg
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Otg » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:27 pm

Hello guys...

Well I was out kiting on Sunday.. but the wind wasent very strong maybe 14-16knots and pretty gusty so I couldnt really use the double edging technique very much since i didnt need to edge very much, but i felt that the resistance/grip i got was much stronger.. i had lots of fun anyway, tried a few "newschool" tricks like switches, and rotations which was really cool. Will go next weekens and I am hoping for 20knots+++ for some serious action..

/ O-

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:30 am

Glad to see you guys are having fun. Timing is the key factor, particularly on the snow/ice where you're going to be carrying less power than on the water. Head enough off the wind to pick up a bit of speed then cut upwind just before you jump, hold your position & bend your knees as the kite heads back & then spring up agressively at the last moment as the lines tighten.

I was jumping the other day with a B3 in 25 to 30 mph. With such a small kite you need to rely on your speed & the speed of the kite to whip you up. I also start the kite much lower in order to generate more power. The trouble with such a small kite is you don't get much float & if the wind lulls you can come down pretty fast & hard. It's a bit like wakeboard jumping: lots of power, less loft. Also because you have less power you really need to turn the kite well back into the power zone & this pulls you violently back as you take off, so you have to be prepared to balance this as you take off, so that you can maintain control of your body position in the air.

Been thanked: 0

Jumping with skies

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:22 pm

I had lots of trouble getting myself under control once airborne with skies on. I just felt like I was flailing too much and I was all off center. Once I got going on the snowboard that problem disappeared.
I've always used skies on the REALLY windy days and the REALLY light days but if the wind is between 10mph and 30mph the I'll use a snowboard. They're just way cooler for tricks. I think......

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:05 am

Tac E.,

It could be that on skis, it's easy to get off balance on take off and in the back seat. Next time, try making sure that you're wieght is more on the instep or ball of your feet on take off. It's much easier to stay centered on a snowboard since you're balance point is between your feet and the kite is in front of you so to speak. On skis, the kite is to your side and it's a little harder to take off in perfect balance. Keep trying and you'll know it when you nail it.
...........ride what you like, like what you ride............

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:59 am

You're right Mr. Bowl: you've got to keep your weight more forward on take-off. Doesn't look too cool if you're flailing your legs around to regain your balance in the air.

Other problem with skis is the landing: with snowboard it doesn't much matter how you land - forwards, backwards, sideways - you can slide right out of it, with skis you've got to be careful not to catch an edge or even pop your bindings.

Return to “Snow / Land”