Forum for kitesurfers
local
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any good kiting around the LA area?

Postby local » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:59 pm

I am considering moving to Orange County, CA and need to get the scoop from some locals.

Wallrat
Frequent Poster

Postby Wallrat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:03 am

Normal season is June-Sept with June usually being mostly socked in with fog and no wind. Wind direction is side-on for all beaches listed.

Cabrillo Beach has a very small launch area that is sheltered by a large cliff upwind. I've never kited here actually but its supposedly very gusty.

Belmont Shore in Long Beach has perfect beginner conditions, 15-22mph wind during the summer, and some of the nastiest water in California. Chop but no waves.

Seal Beach has a small beach in a protected bay full to the brim with stingrays. Same wind as Belmont.

Sunset Beach has waves and a large launch area except when it blows during the summer. At that time the launch area is cut down to a 100yd stretch of beach. Wind is usually slightly better here than at Belmont/Seal. Advanced only beach but even then we're still on the verge of kiting getting banned here as well (both the beaches to the North and South have already banned kites).

Huntington Beach has better waves than Sunset, and usually similar wind. Access is also very dicey here as it is a very crowded beach during the summer. Unless the wind is blowing so hard that it clears the beach, you probably shouldn't kite here.

ruffridah89
Frequent Poster

Postby ruffridah89 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:54 am

why you leaving s. florida?
we got flat and occasionally waves just like cali.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:03 am

Best spots are furthur north. Topanga, Leo Carillo, Broard Beach/Zuma.
Pretty reliable winds in the Long Beach area. Cabrillo Beach makes for a dangerous launch and landing. Can be very messed up wind due to the cliffs.... I've measured 3 to 25mph :o :o Once you are on the outside the wind is great though, just not worth the risk.

Some great road trips too. Jalama Beach, Pismo Beach and Lake Isabella.

Wind forcasting is tricky around here.

The best winds if you like it nuking are the clearing winds after storms come through. Surf and wind swell combine for some serious fun and games.

I pretty much kite all year round :thumb:

Check this web site out for good arial photos of the whole coast.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/

Las word of advice DON'T KITE at Surf beach near Vandenberg airforce base. Deadly currents and the surf can go huge without much warning.

local
Medium Poster

Postby local » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:02 pm

ruffridah89 wrote:why you leaving s. florida?
we got flat and occasionally waves just like cali.
Work related, plus I like to do other things as well, such as skiing and mountain biking.

How about around San Clemente?

Return to “Kitesurfing”