Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 31, 2002 8:07 am

Hi James,

I saw and read you are from Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

Can you tell us more about a what time of the year the best winds are and how strong?
Mexico is a good place for winter (Nov-Mar), since it is nice and warm.

Thx
Toby

mamakawama
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mamakawama » Fri May 31, 2002 3:21 pm

Sure, I got those dates last night from a local windsurf instructor when I was researching an article for our website about Playa. I have to take the bus into Cancun to take care of some business, but I'll post later in the day.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri May 31, 2002 4:06 pm

Hello James,
It's great to hear about more kitesurfers in Mexico. I live in Mexico City. I have a friend who lives in Puerto Morelos who kitesurfs a lot, his name is Joseph Will. Get in touch with him, his e-mail is chirojoseph@yahoo.com .
Toby, the conditions in "Playa", as we call Playa del Carmen in Mexico, are normally not that great. The normal thermal winds are not that strong. But there are frequent pressure systems which produce very good winds from the North, and from the Southeast. This is the low season, because it is the rainy season. Summer in Mexico is the off season for kiting in Most parts. If you want better winds, go to Cozumel(very good, some of the best scuba diving in the world too) or Progreso, Yucatan(excellent constant strong winds).
Cheers,
Andres Santacruz

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri May 31, 2002 4:09 pm

i forgot to mention the beautiful fine white sand beaches, and the warm tropical climate with shallow turqouise water. The caribbean rocks!
Andres

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri May 31, 2002 4:48 pm

Hello Andres,

With regard to kiteboarding in Cozumel, I was wondering which direction the thermal winds normally come from and some of the launch areas that you would recommend on the island. I was there twice, a few years ago and almost 30 years ago! It has changed a bit. I remember going there in August for the first time and the windward or eastern side of the island was very windy and rough. So, I don't know if there are trade winds to go with the thermal winds as well during certain times of the year.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

mamakawama
Rare Poster

Postby mamakawama » Fri May 31, 2002 9:36 pm

que hubo Andres?
So, do you go flying over Xochimilco? I lived in the DF for four years (la Condesa) so I feel your pain.

I know it's <b><i>called</i></b> the rainy season now, but we really don't get very much until the hurricanes start coming in the fall.

Jan-April blows pretty consistently here, and it's not too crowded, and the town is fun, the water warm and beautiful and calm.
We've had lots of rocking wind for months

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:23 pm

James,
As we say in Mexico, "Envidia de la buena". Rough english translation: I am really jealous. It's good to hear you have been getting good winds. Did you contact Joseph?
Ricki, I am not sure about Cozumel, I will have to get back to you, some friends live and kite there, i'll have to get in touch with them. I remember them explaining me that the western side of the island at the top(north), gets really good wind, because the wind kind of funnels between the mainland and the island and forms a venturi effect. You can send Pedro Pablo Silveira an e-mail, he is an ex mexican national champion windsurfer, went to the olympics, and pretty much knows the shit on conditions in all of Mexico. He kitesurfs too, and has organized a bunch of competitions here, he is thinking of making a kitesurf association, you should get in touch with him and help him out. Anyway,
Good winds guys,
Andres Santacruz

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:14 am

Hi Mex Guys,

how are the winds in Nov-Mar at Yucatan (Cancun) ?
Since it is very cold in Europe we always have to look for nice winter destinations.

thx
Toby

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:42 pm

Hello Andres,

I would like to get in touch with Pedro Pablo Silveira to learn more about wind conditions on and around Cozumel. I did a quick net search but couldn't turn up an email address. Could you send his email address to me at:
flkitesurfer@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

mamakawama
Rare Poster

Postby mamakawama » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:02 pm

We had a kitesurf Open/Comptetition last month that went off very well. November to April is pretty good. There are some good weeks in October too, but it's hurricane season, so it's better to wait.

As I mentioned, I'm just taking lessons now, so I'm only recently becoming focused in on this.

Return to “Kitesurfing”