Forum for kitesurfers
Juergen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Juergen » Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:27 pm

hi Murdoc,

would never fly this Kite in 6Bft as for my skills my 9.0 CO2 should suite much better.
Due to warranty claims I can opt for a replacement of the CO2 11.5 and as unexpectedly it proved not to be a low end powerhouse (far below a Rhino 16 or AB 11.:cool: I wonder which Kite to go for. 80% of relaunch issues on my home lake are due to stalls when unsteady wind partly drops - and kite follows .. a 5th line also has to face the power zone issue, hasn´t it ? how would you compare the Wipi-Bridles to a 5th line ?

aloha

Jürgen

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:43 pm

well, tehre are several ways to attach a fifth line.
usually, every kite is easy to relaunch when it faces its wind - limit. you gotta get the kite out of the powerzone as fast as possible to avoit downwind-dragging.
if you don't have that much power, you can use a 5th line / the bridles to turn the kite or even directly start it thru the powerzone.
if you're powered up to your personal maximum,
this would result in some pain and a hot downwind ride.

therefore, a 5th line attached to the fronttube can help (seen them @ 20+m naish and wipikas) - it's just for easy turning the kite on it's back.

but every kite smaller than 13m flat i know relaunches without big problems.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:12 pm

I have tested both wipika system and 5th line, both are not so funny. When the kite is on air it goes directly to power zone, I think is very dangerous.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:10 pm

as i said:

in low end winds, the system can help.
with low-end i mean a really big kite like the AB 16.4 ...

reverse launch of the 10.0 or smaller is rubbish - if you don't fly these kites in wind conditions where they flip without problem,
don't use them or don't drop 'em... the airblast is the high performance line - made for high performance -
kiters that don't use these kites with enough
wind would probably have more fun with an intermediate or beginners kite.

BlueSky
Frequent Poster

Postby BlueSky » Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:11 am

Hi Jido,

I have no problems flipping over my 15.1

Is very easy I do it with my board on my feet. Steps: 1. board vertical to have pressure 2. pull center lines about 1m 3. board flat, gain speed 4. release center lines 5. kite will flip on its back 6. be patient and pull one of the outer lines about 2m the kite will travel slowly to the edge of the windwindow. Arrived at the edge you can start it.

Perhaps the 18.1 is much more difficult? You need some wind to flip it over.

BlueSky
Frequent Poster

Postby BlueSky » Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:20 am

Ooops, I didn't understand why I didn't see my posts. It was because there were already more than one page!

I don't swim, I just float with the kite. The kite determins the speed of floating with the wind. You have to wait until the kite (and yourself) has some speed, otherwise the acceleration of the floating kite will take up the center line length you have just pulled.

I hope that it's clear what I ment. It's a nice method.

PMad
Medium Poster

Postby PMad » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:29 am

Thanks Bluesky... yep, that's clear and I'll try your technique next time I let the kite fall down :sad:

Fly high, Fly safe!
j.

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:55 pm

Hello friends out there... Just wonted to say thanks for the tips.. Last weekend I did learn some new very helpful skills... Just another thanks to this forum helping me..
For the 1st time I found that pulling the lines almost to the end of the leader lines then then throwing them at the kite work great getting the tips facing skyward.. I clearly saw w/ some trial and error how the kite reacts when the tip almost becomes a sail and takes the kite to the side of the window.. The wind was stronger than I normally would take it out in.. So that help alot also... However if I was doing it the way I was before I would be launching it thru the power zone.. With that much wind would of dragged me pretty good.. With the tips given to me I was amazed how easy the kite would just wont to take off at the side of the window... Just to think if I'd known this 2months ago I'd be having so much more fun..
Well that was my best learning session so far.. I was able to keep the kite in the air.. Dive it down, get on top of the water go for 20-30yards and however would sink back down in the water.... So now just trying to get the fill on how to keep the kite in the power zone and keep me on top of the water w/ out sinking...
I did have to stop after somehow I got my back to the kite and with a Wakeboard very tightly strapped to my feet. I found out beeing dragged backwords w/ a board on your feet is not fun.. It seemed i was 4feet under the water gasping for air.. Finally board let loose on one foot.. Popped up to see the kite in a spiral and was able to see it so steared it oppisite on the spin sending it crashing to the water...
That ended my session cuz some how ended up all tangled up.. What a pain trying to get lines untangled in the water! It seemed the safty leash kept me from getting it un-spun.. Any tips on that ? Frustrated and tired my buddys cheering me on in the boat rescued me and the kite...
Wow, amazing how easy it is to get up out of the water... Im just that much more stoked to get back out there... Please any other input on the new problems would help...
Sky High
STEVE

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:02 pm

Hey everbody saiz BFT... Whats the wind speed diffrence in miles per hour.. In Colorado the weather and wind reports dont use knots..

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:45 pm

You can calculate wind speeds here:
http://www.wetteronline.de/windrpopup.html
The best trick to relaunch your high aspect ratio kite is to swim as hard as you can towards your kite and if you cannot swim fast enough, pull back some front line (center lines) and release them at the same moment you start swimming. Paddling on the board is also a good trick.
But I have had a problem with my kite laying tips up in the sky in too light wind (wind dropped)... No matter how hard I tried to swim to one side, the kite stayed in the same position. Maybe I pumped it up too hard, but that's how it flies better...

Return to “Kitesurfing”