The new Contra 3's and Crossbow 3's

Forum for kitesurfers
kitehigher
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The new Contra 3's and Crossbow 3's

Postby kitehigher » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Well what can I say I just finished a demo tour across the Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina area with all the new kites.

The feedback was great from all the people along the way. The main thing everyone loved was the added construction of which the kites were seriously beefed up without loosing performance and gaining weight in the sail itself. They are rock solid!

The new look for Cabrinha is a huge change and everyone is loving it!! The colors are fresh! The style is new and clean! It is going to be a great season!!

The contra 3 is still the light wind killer no question. The Crossbow 3 I think personally gained a little hangtime! It has a very smooth feel and will keep you up in the air a little better than last years CB2!!!

Just a little feedback! I wish everyone safe kiting!

Damo :thumb:

kitehigher
Medium Poster

Check them out on the web site!

Postby kitehigher » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:04 pm

One last thing go to the Cabrinha web site and see for yourself!

Thanks Damo

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:10 pm

Contra first impressions:
Garry Menk and myself took two Contra 3 14m kites out two weeks ago in light breeze with current running with the breeze. Garry is 175 pounds and I am 180 pounds. I rode a 138 custom (wakeboard) with the kite to determine it's absolute upwind ability riding considering the poor tide conditions. Garry rode a 148 prodigy which has respectable upwind performance with it's three stage rocker line and long heel side edge.

Review: by Garry Menk

Contra 3, 14 m

Power: I noticed that the kite has easily as much low end power as last years but with much more control. Nice!

Flying: The kite likes to be sheeted out about 3 to 4 inches to achieve the best performance.

Upwind: Way better Upwind performance than before. Keeping the kite a bit high is definitely its sweet-spot for cruising upwind.

Turning: Faster initial turning than previous with about the same bar pressure and feel.

Jumping: Wind was a bit too light “8 to 12 mph during testingâ€Â

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DrLightWind » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:14 pm

I've flown also and tested the Contra-3 last saturday in 8 -10 mph average winds,
gusting once in while 12 so take this with a grain of salt.
I confirm that's all true, no sh!t, it makes you hmmmmmm........

The best big size L.E.I. Type I've flown so far of this size.
Upwind better than last year's of the same size.
Steering speed improved also, believe it or not it is close to the last year's 12m what I used to have.
If sine it only couple of times the apparent wind acts on your kite = shredding :!:
I don't know why because it doesn't feel big like a 14m as multiple loops are so easy and smaller radius.
No more Transition Stall-Outs even in light wind.
Better low end with pulling power.
No bar pressure in light winds but you start feeling in higher gusts,
still much less than the X-Bow 16m.
Normal relaunch is easy so as from the Trailing Edge by pulling the front lines.
Boosting about 10 feet in 12 -13 gusts is incredible (with my weight)
That's it for now, no + or - :thumb:

CU: DrLightWind

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks guys for you reviews.

How is unhooked on the xbow3?

Happy Season!! :bye:

kitehigher
Medium Poster

Unhooked!

Postby kitehigher » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:17 pm

I think the new kites are great for powered passes! I ride, race, compete do everything on the Crossbow's and Contra's. I would not change it for anything! The new crossbow 3's feal great for handle passes.

Give it a shot!!

Damien

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:48 pm

Just come through the kiteival event here in Mauritius with a quiver of the new Xbow3s.
Had an unfortunate mishap on one eye where my "brand new not yet officily released" kite got totaled by a 6' gnarly tube (got it on film too).
I was happy to have pulled through that pounding and was really surprised when my kite popped out behind the wave without any canopy on it. All The tubes survived the pounding and the kite looked like the rib skeleton of a whale drying in the sun. Never seen anything like it.
The kites performed great though and the atention to detail on them puts them in a class of their own.
Nico

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Just come through the kiteival event here in Mauritius with a quiver of the new Xbow3s.
Had an unfortunate mishap on one eye where my "brand new not yet officily released" kite got totaled by a 6' gnarly tube (got it on film too).
I was happy to have pulled through that pounding and was really surprised when my kite popped out behind the wave without any canopy on it. All The tubes survived the pounding and the kite looked like the rib skeleton of a whale drying in the sun. Never seen anything like it.
The kites performed great though and the atention to detail on them puts them in a class of their own.
Nico

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:21 pm

For a normal weekend freeride warrior I can be pretty difficult to determine which Cabrinha model to go for!?!?

I currently have SB2 10+14 m2. When would I choose Xbow3 instead of new SB's? Do I get better range? Whats the down side?

How to determine between Contra, Xbow, SB?

And if Contra as big kite should I get the 17 or is the 14 sufficient for my 90 kg (200 lbs) and my 135x48 cm Skywalker board, due to faster turning speed ???

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:45 pm

In understand your problem Dr Rosen.

Im choosing between 10 SB, or 9 xbow. The thing is: the both have about the same windrange. But the SB is better/nicer for the lower part of that range, the xbow for the higher part of the range.

Xbow is awesome for hooked-in riding, for strong gusty winds, for riding at sea.
However i sometimes want to unhook. Thats a bit more difficult sometimes with xbow. On the other hand i see Damien ripping with his Xbow. Handlepasses everything. So it should be perfectly possible.

I will certainly miss my xbow when i choose to ride SB this season.

Return to “Kitesurfing”