ANYONE TRY TAKOON (12.5=17) ?!

Forum for kitesurfers
joao
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby joao » Mon May 27, 2002 10:53 pm

I want to know if anyone try the 17 m from takoon ?
joão

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:10 pm

I have sailed with it a couple of times now. It turns quite fast, don't think it turns as fast as the X2 18m2. I use it without the bridle system. It has less power than the 18.9 RRD. It depowers realy well, i'm 65 kg ride a directional 5', i can´change down to the 8.5 Tacoon without a gap. There is a lot of lift in it, in 15 knots you can easy make 15 foot jumps, long jumps.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:07 pm

Hi

I have been sailing Skoop 17 for one day in 10 to 15 knots ( without bridels). Nice soft feeling both jumping and riding. I think I (weight 94 kilos)can ride with it up to 20 knots. Goes very well uppwind and is much faster than 2001 kites, but could be faster too.

You can make a waterstart without bridels so I don,t understand what they are for.

I,m waiting to have some 12 to 20 knots wind to test how high it really can take you.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:41 pm

To all you Takoon owners:
is the thin material in the tips a problem or not? I would fear that the kites will disintegrate pretty quickly at the tips, especially if you have to start solo or if you have to land the kite on a rought beach (even if someone helps you)

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:26 pm

Hi, I just ordered Takoon kites. I thought of a way to do the solo-launch :

Take your towel, put your kite on it. Flip the tip over (together with the towel) Put sand on your towel. Then you can launch like with other kites...

Landing solo means to me : dump it in the water, and run :smile:

grtz,
Dènis

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:28 pm

It probably works, but in the end, your kite will always suffer, since at some point you might forget to bring your towel :-|
Also, my guess is it will be more difficult to sell a kite that needs to be looked after so much more?!

Juergen
Rare Poster

Postby Juergen » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:14 pm

as soon as you have to flip the tip, as the only protected/reinforced area on other kites I´ve flown so far, solo launch will always be on weak fabric. I experienced sharp mussels as well as stones cutting my AB and CO2s as well. So IMO the reinforcements should be above first strut to effectively support a "safer" solo launch ..

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:38 pm

Juergen,

You are quite right :smile: Did'nt think of that before. But anyway, it won't be much of a problem for me, I usually don't kite alone. I think it is saver with a mate :smile:

grtz,
Dènis

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:03 pm

I do share Juergens opinion. Never kitesurf alone!! But sometimes you might have to launch anyway yourself

I have a Takoon 14.3 myself and I'm really happy with it. I'm 70 kilo and riding my takoon with a F-One XM80 (193cm) in 8 knots!!!! It turns really fast :smile:. Very wide depower range. Stays calm overhead in 4 knots

Self-launch:

I always precheck the area, where I'm putting the kite => so far no holes and damages :smile:

Self landing:

I simply let the bar go (always check for space!!!) and then work myself along the leach line to the kite => works even in strong winds

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:08 pm

Forgot to mention, that I do the Self landing only on water :smile:. On Land you would probably rip your kite quite fast when letting go the bar

Return to “Kitesurfing”