Times tested: 11+
Range: 10kn to 16kn

Good: wind range
depower
turning speed
construction

Bad: overall bar pressure
does invert

Review: Overall I am very pleased with this kite. I'm been able to replace my 16m C and 12 m C with this one kite. The 14m is perfect for my local conditions. (10-15 kts)

The kite itself is bomber construction and looks great. I wish the deflate valve was a bit bigger. Also, the hoses the connect the leading edge to the struts in my case were too long, causing them to pinch off while trying to inflate. I have seen the same kite with perfect hose lengths. Not sure what the deal is there.

It's very fast turning except on it's bottom end. Consistent pull through the turns which is awesome.

It does need rear line tension to fly so that makes for a little more bar pressure than i'd like. I'm talking just while riding, it takes a bit out of the arms.

Depower is great. But since it is a rear line flyer, once you loose tension on the back lines it will just drop out of the sky, especially in lighter winds.

Overall i like the kite, but i think it's for a bit more advanced users. I think a newbie may have troubles flying it due to the need to keep back line tension.

I've not flown any other brand of this style, so i have nothing to compare to. Everything here is in relation to what i'm use to with my C kites.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: Flat
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 14.0
Most Used Kite Size: 16.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used:

For pictures and more reviews click here

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby slightlyimperfect » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Anyone ride the 16M 07 ONE yet? I just bought one but havent recieved it yet.

Is the wind range much different? I am just over 200 pounds tho, so I think it was probably needed over the 14m...

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:54 pm

How did you find the relaunch?

I demo'd a OR One 14 a few weeks ago - I was happy with the kite in the air - but found it very difficult to relaunch. I found that you need to pull a lot on one of the outside lines - which not only can cut your hand, it can also create a dangerous tangle situation.

Keep in mind that this was my first time on an OR - so I'm sure my relaunch technique could use some work.

Note: I an used to Cabrinha's X-bows and Contra's which relaunch very easily.

tracstarr
Medium Poster

Postby tracstarr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:54 pm

yeah, the relaunch can be tricky, especially if the winds are more on the low end. I do find you have to pull in one side quite a lot, and if you're not careful you can flip the kite so that it's pointing upwind, making it almost impossible to launch. Actually, this has happened to me 3 times in 3 days and i ended up swimming in. damn frustrating.

carkeek craig
Medium Poster

Postby carkeek craig » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 am

Nice review! :thumb:
I've had similar thoughts about the deflate valve too, why not big like the 06's? But then I've been using that deflate for fast inflation because there is zero resistance in my pump, then I top it off at the valved input and this saves my back. Haven't noticed any problems inflating with the x-tra length in the tubes for the one pump, but sometimes they pinch a little when I deflate the whole kite and slow that process down. When its totally deflated that x-tra length allows the connections to be relaxed when the kite is twisted around while packing and unpacking, so maybe thats the reason.
At 205lbs, this kite has totally replaced my 05' 20m yarga on both ends of the wind range. Amazing! Not only that but these SLE's seem to home in on the apparent wind like nothing else out there. Its an upwind jump machine that makes you grin until your cheeks are cramping.
The bar pressure with the rear lines at the rear point is a bit much for riding a long time without a stopper, thank goodness this new stopper is so easy to use and adjust. I use it all the time, which really pushes you to ride powered...so I agree that at these bridal settings its more of an advanced kite for riders who know how to manage power with the board.
I'm going to experiment with some of the other attachments to see what happens. (3 on the rear, 2 on the front) Default factory setting is for advanced riders with the front to the front and the rear to the rear.

Image [img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1 ... .jpg[/img]

Image [img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1 ... .jpg[/img]

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Re: Review Ocean Rodeo One 14.0 LW 2007

Postby BiteMe » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:40 pm

tracstarr wrote:Review for Ocean Rodeo One 2007 14.0 LW

Times tested: 11+
Range: 10kn to 16kn

Good: wind range
depower
turning speed
construction

Bad: overall bar pressure
does invert

Good Review - thanks. Just curious about your "Does Invert" comment. Did the kite invert on you? If so what where the conditions?

carkeek craig
Medium Poster

Postby carkeek craig » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:05 pm

I was wondering about that one too.
I've tried like heck to get it to fall from the sky or invert and it won't do either for me. I've used in 15 to 25 plus, and only had a tip wiggle.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:01 pm

Just tried out the ONE 9.0
man I like this kite
couldn't get it to do anything bad
I would be very interested in the smaller versions
although the 9 has such a USABLE range
I'm wound on my 5.0 waroo and my 70 lbs. lighter pal is cruising aound like its no prob on a fuckin 9.0!!!!
OUCH -
and there does seem to be a lot low end but not sure
and not too sure about the turning ability
seemed a little slow
absolutly no distortions in the canopy until I let go of the bar which had little effect as the kite zenithed and waited for me to grab the bar but some flapping when sheeted out about 2 1/2 feet!

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:01 pm

The Waroo is a good flying kite and i have no intentions of saying anything bad about the kite. However there are huge differences in the construction. The OR kites are just built more bomber and a lot stiffer. That said I guess it is a tiny bit heavier then for example a cabrinha.

Return to “Kitesurfing”