Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The ideal light wind kite

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
aeberl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

The ideal light wind kite

Postby aeberl » Fri May 12, 2006 1:48 pm

I live in Lima, Peru, and to ride decent wind (>12knots) I have to drive 250km soth to Paracas (kiteboarders heaven!). Time and costs involved are considerable and I am on the market for a kite that will allow me to have fun in winds starting at 7 to 8 knots and ideally cover a range up to 12 knots.
Has naybody had fun riding light breezes like that? Any jumping or relaunch possible in 8 knots? Any recomendations?

sjdavies
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby sjdavies » Fri May 12, 2006 8:09 pm

Depends on how much you weigh. I am 200lbs and have trouble in anything under 12 knots. SBC Magazine gear test said the 2006 Airush Reactor 21m, the reactor is supposed to be one of the fastest turning kites on the market (good for low winds), the testers said they were able to do kite loop tricks in 8 knots. Other than that look at new Cabrinha Contra Crossbow, coming out this month as a light wind bow kite, or a Best Waroo 20m which on their website has a windrange of 6-18knots for a 165lb rider.

A big wide board will also help, early planing. Litewave Stealth 137 or Caution Hustla 145 something like those.

Anyways that my 2 cents!

Me!
Medium Poster

Postby Me! » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:21 pm

15 or 13 Meter FUEL (depending on youre weight) with 37meter lines lenght !!

Then you will have tha ideal light wind kite, nd still a kite to ride till 20 knot confy...(shortening tha lines.)

:) !

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jrobson » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:27 pm

How much do you weigh?

Me!
Medium Poster

Postby Me! » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:10 pm

im 57kg (dont know how much in pounds :roll: )

I ride my 15 and bindings with 37 lines (really powered) with about 8 to 10 knots !!

:D !

Me!
Medium Poster

Postby Me! » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:03 pm

I changed my mind, i mean, Slingi designers changed my mind ...

The ideal light wind set up to me is,

- Rev 15 nd whatever u want (Skimboard, finless wakeskate, Glide, Misfit 146 ) All cool riding, below 8k ..

:D !

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:20 pm

I weigh 75kg (dry) and usually ride a cont. rocker 138x40 custom, but I can make any board (am local shaper and boardbuilder).
How about the new Flysurfers? Has anybody had any experience driftlaunching them from a boat?

joshua
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ormond beach, fl, usa
Favorite Beaches: i've only ridden the east coast of florida, i hear the dominican republic is nice
Style: wave
Gear: caution 16 spitfire III, with caution board 142

Re: The ideal light wind kite

Postby joshua » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:51 pm

a buddy of mine was just testing out the new eze 13m from freakdog, (EH's american retailer) and he was going in 5kts on a skim board, albeit slowly, but still riding. where will technology take us next? watch the video on freakdogkites.com

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:34 am

joshua wrote:a buddy of mine was just testing out the new eze 13m from freakdog, (EH's american retailer) and he was going in 5kts on a skim board, albeit slowly, but still riding. where will technology take us next? watch the video on freakdogkites.com
I don't believe it, maybe 7 knots on a big board and light rider.

Do you have a video to prove it :?:

DrLW

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 am

joshua wrote:a buddy of mine was just testing out the new eze 13m from freakdog, (EH's american retailer) and he was going in 5kts on a skim board, albeit slowly, but still riding. where will technology take us next? watch the video on freakdogkites.com
I'm sorry, that's pretty sad video proof. :roll: Show me a kite and kiter who hasn't done that. To me that has happened almost everyday around here and the wind hasn't shown up as forecast and there is at least one guy that grabs at that straw. Guy flying their kite just to keep it in the air, can't get on their board because they are busy keeping the kite in the air, they schlog downwind and into the beach as the kite flies across the powerzone for power and almost crashing the kite. Sound familiar (hell, I've done that once or twice :wink: ).

Return to “Reviews”