Using your knife in an emergency

Forum for kitesurfers
kite2surf
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using your knife in an emergency

Postby kite2surf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Those of you who have (or have attempted to) used a knife in an emergency situation while kiting, I would like you to share your experience.

This has become a potential inexpensive 'life insurance' that all kiters should consider having, particularly after the fatal accident in France.

I recall reading a few comments in this forum some time ago stating that hook knives failed or did not do the job in emergency situations.

I had a cheap plastic hook knife but it disappear on a recent kite session and I am looking to replace it. I am leaning towards going for a small blunt nose dive knife instead of a hook knife with a leash to prevent accidental loss or dropping it.

So, what has been your experience?
Did it save you from a bad kite situation?
Did your line cut easily?
What is your setup? (before) Did you change it after your experience?
Have you ever dropped your knife in the time of need?
Do you use a knife leash to prevent losing or dropping your knife?
What type of knife do you use? (hook, dive, other)

K2S

ytcapz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ytcapz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm

Never actually used it, but the hook knife in the Ocean Rodeo Session harnes is great. I test it every once in a while and it's still super sharp after 2 years of salty riding. I tied it on with a length of cord (tucked in a pocket) long enough to allow my arms full extension in any direction.

wjb
Frequent Poster

Postby wjb » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:06 pm

ytcapz wrote:Never actually used it, but the hook knife in the Ocean Rodeo Session harnes is great. I test it every once in a while and it's still super sharp after 2 years of salty riding. I tied it on with a length of cord (tucked in a pocket) long enough to allow my arms full extension in any direction.
That's a great idea! :thumb:

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon

Postby Fer1000er » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:19 am

In the last 2 years I already used my knife twice ( cut the total of 8 lines), one when I got tangle in Mauritus in front of one eye, and other in north of chile...both cases big waves and disaster ready to happen.

I think is so STUPID to be a kiter and not carry a knife, and even more stupid if you carry a knife and you can not reach it with one hand....

the only excuse to not carry a knife is because you didnt know that Lines are dangerous...and of course, if is that your case look for another sport.

You dont need waves to be in a situation where you need a knife, you dont need even water.

in 2002, in Los Angeles, Belmont shore my kite crashed in the water and my lines got tangle with a buoy....after many loops and lines full of tention my only choice was sacrifice my lines....and that safe my kite....

Dakine Knife...just five bucks....do you have any valid excuse to not carry a knife?

P.D. Now I'm using Mystic Harness, and the knife is in a perfect place...only if you are right hand...but I'm lefty....so I created a handle that allow to reach my knife with my left hand....

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 am

Hey,

Where do most people keep a knife when riding?

I have a pair of the nitrous shorts and they have a pocket; however, my Cabrinha vest/harness has no pockets. I guess I need to sew a pocket on.

Clew In

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:05 am

I have never had to use a knife in an emergency. Despite that I've carried them for years. Cave divers carry up to five knives and only have one line, often tensioned, not 400 ft. of the stuff flapping around overhead. There have been cases of kiters tying themselves up while being dragged along by the kite to where they could only get one hand free. Bad news if it is the wrong hand, right?

Dropping them is fairly easy to do, hook knives less so but still possible. I recently found a small hook knife with two converging serrated blades. I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere online and put it up.

Three stories of kiters that may well have had their lives saved by knives appear HERE, under "Tangled..."

I try to put some light oil on the blade periodically and wash it with fresh water. Still over time the blades will dull, time to change it out for a new one.

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:12 am

DaKine offers a small velcro pocket/pouch that attaches to your spreader bar. Inside lies their small hook-knife. I've (thankfully) never used it, but it's there just in case, with a little handle of webbing, sticking out of the pouch.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:45 am

Here's a real hook knife that actually cuts shit when you need it. They make a couple different ones, titanium etc with different sheaths

http://www.knivesplus.com/benchmadeknif ... -5blk.html

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:07 am

Used my knife twice and really needed it a third time. Just used a stock knife and it cut the lines like butter.
I think the trick is to have it on the front of your body.
My third experience I got wrapped up in high wind and heavy surf and while I was being dragged/ held under by the waves and kite in the water. I couldn't reach the knife because it was in the back of my harness and my impact vest was covering it. It seems easy to get at on land but when you're upside down under water it's a differnt story.
In my opinion a knife if is the most important safety item to have.
I also think the cheap models are o.k. to use. It's no biggie to loose them and replace. They all seem to rust so I just pick a new one up when the old one shows serious rust damage.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:13 am

here's the water rescue one. I of course keep mine in my truck where it has saved me from many a closed beer and once in a while cuts off a length of q line to use to tie up an old t-shirt to make a sand bag. When I get in a bad situation in the water I often wish I had taken the time to rig it to my harness some how then I just panic, scream like a girl, and hope luck saves my dumb ass. Worked so far.

Return to “Kitesurfing”