All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:24 am 
There is a bit of a push to get surfers into kitesurfing, led by companies like Slingshot. Fair enough too; it's a big untapped market.

But "kitesurfing" will NEVER have any cred with surfers until we show we can ride waves properly with a kite. It hasn't happened yet.

Putting up kooks like Ben Wilson as exemplars of "kitesurfing" only makes it worse. Hardcore surfers look at Wilson "kitesurfing" and piss themselves - if they look at all. He looks completely shit... bum stuck out, spin outs, soft body.

We need to get a surfer with cred into kitesurfing if we are to get any traction with the surfing community. Eg someone like Brooko or Abberton.

At the moment, we just look like kooks. Putting up fat-arse losers like Wilson only makes it worse.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

AHAHA koby abberton and credibility. LOL.

well atleast he has none here. west coast of oz.

u dont get cred from towing in when crew are still paddling.

u certainly dont get cred from being a roid pumping baboon thug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

But I (as are many here) am both? different conditions, different Gear, surfer for many many years before kiting and never looked back.

Surfed yesterday (no wind) and was so sensational however those days are less frequent re conditions than the days I catch 50 x 50m rides when a surfer gets 10 x 2m rides

the unfortunate reality is at our spots so many surfers see this ratio difference with the aerial moves and they are in.

Generally I would rather see surfers cross over as they have good ethos in the water (well as good as possible) and better water knowledge and consideration.

I don't think that there is a real issue getting them across, I don't see them laughing after a sitting at a break watching a kite wave session in windy waves all around them.

And by the way, the best way to drop the cred is to spray them (by accident) against temptation always give them the courtesy of passing down wind if too close. It would piss me off too.

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:49 am 
Frequent Poster

Can someone explain it to me that how will my enjoyment of kitesurfing be better if I get credibility from a surfer....... why is it important?
.......do we need credibility from skateboarders, bounty hunters, PETA and the Dalai Lama, too....... I am afraid I will not have a great session...... ever!
No cred', Dude, no cred......

Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Fudge wrote:
There is a bit of a push to get surfers into kitesurfing, led by companies like Slingshot. Fair enough too; it's a big untapped market.

But "kitesurfing" will NEVER have any cred with surfers until we show we can ride waves properly with a kite. It hasn't happened yet.

Putting up kooks like Ben Wilson as exemplars of "kitesurfing" only makes it worse. Hardcore surfers look at Wilson "kitesurfing" and piss themselves - if they look at all. He looks completely shit... bum stuck out, spin outs, soft body.

We need to get a surfer with cred into kitesurfing if we are to get any traction with the surfing community. Eg someone like Brooko or Abberton.

At the moment, we just look like kooks. Putting up fat-arse losers like Wilson only makes it worse.

i am not in the industry, don't need kiting to be more crowded and could give a s**t if surfers think kiting is credible. I also have been surfing for a very very long time and still surf but once I got into kiting I don't look back often). to be honest, I hope most surfers don't switch over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:27 am 
Medium Poster

Kite 'surfing' is a young sport still and when we've racked up as many man hours in the surf with our kites then let's see who's giving respect to who.

I know a ton of surfers who have crossed over full time to kiting. I don't know anyone who has gone the other way.

Who really cares what surfers think? We'll take the best from every sport be it surfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding etc of course but kiting will find its own way. We're happy to welcome those who want to come with us and are too busy enjoying ourselves to worry about the opinions of small minded little turds who think they can judge a sport they know little or nothing about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

who cares.
We kitesurf not surf.
But I know that surfers out here respect what we do and always say " damn, I got to try that"

On the same note, I say to them (" damn, I wish I could surf like that..)(tubed at pipe)

We have all the respect we need.

Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 am 
Frequent Poster

Fudge wrote:
... But "kitesurfing" will NEVER have any cred with surfers until we show we can ride waves properly with a kite. It hasn't happened yet.

Does anyone care? I don't.

Fudge wrote:

And this is impolite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Fudge is on a private mission against Ben...old story. Flamer's Paradise loves Fudge posts. Here you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:22 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:
Fudge is on a private mission against Ben...old story. Flamer's Paradise loves Fudge posts. Here you are.

Fudge is Ben.....isn't he ????

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next