Has thanked: 0

Review North Rebel 14.0 2008

Postby dazza5172 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:58 am

Review for North Rebel 2008 14.0

Times tested: No Comment
Range: 12kn to 25kn

Good: Starling turning speed for a kite this size, huge pop, apparent wind

Bad:

Review: I had put my 12m 2007 in for sale as I was very confident that as a light weight rider with a freestyle fish as my lighter wind board (and wave board) I had little need for this larger kite. I have always preferred smaller kites and this was a dream come true.

Then the ride on the 14m 2008 Rebel.

Well this kite turns so fast for a 14m I cannot believe it, serioulsy this kite turns fast and with easy bar pressure. In 15 knots I was pulling huge air and holding long hang time. The kite completely changed my mind about larger kites, now I am totally confused as having this extra boost in a kite that whips back and allows you to really use all the juice waiting in the canopy is super sweet.

If you are looking for a true performer in the larger sizes, this is the one to test. 100% recommended, such a nice kite to fly.

the kite has actually changed my mind on large kites which prior to this ride I avoided because I really like spritely kites. This kite is a larger spritely kite and therefore full of fun and power for move in light wind.

It went up wind easily and did not give you down wind pull that you have to fight against.

If not tuned properly (only trimming required via the strap) some might say the bar pressure is still a bit medium, however simply pulling in the depower brings the bar in a bit closer and takes the bar pressure off.

the pressure is definitely lighter than last years and I find it very nice and with good feedback. The lighter pressure makes you want to do board offs which can require more bar pressure than C kites in the earlier models

more photos on
http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/rebel08.html

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 10.0
Most Used Kite Size: 10.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Shop
Similar gear used: 10m & 12m 2008 Rebel & 2007 Rebels

For pictures and more reviews click here

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby MMac22 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 am

+1 :thumb:

I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised by this 14m.

wjb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wjb » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:20 am

Daz, where did you have the rear pigtails attached? I flew my 14 in crap wind a week ago so I did not get a good read on the kite. Flew my 10 in perfect 25mph wind yesterday and it is as you say the sauce!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:20 am

wjb wrote:Daz, where did you have the rear pigtails attached? I flew my 14 in crap wind a week ago so I did not get a good read on the kite. Flew my 10 in perfect 25mph wind yesterday and it is as you say the sauce!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Hey wjb

Factory on the front ones just straight out the bag, I was really surprised at the turning speed, I actually could hardly tell the difference between the 12m and 14m however the 12m was set on the rear pigtails.

I just could not fault this kite, it really did change my view on large kites.

And oh yes the 10m is the sauce man, I considered 9m and 12m but I just had to have a 10m no matter what my other kites were going in the quiver. I am actually now starting to feel that kites are more like surfboards, you can get away with a 6'8" and a 7'4" but man you just have to have that 7' too as it rides so nice, and well the 6'6" would be good too.

Daz

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:09 am

I got a chance to fly the 16m and its very quick for a big kite. much faster than my R7 14m. very smooth in the air. I also flew the 10m 08 rebel back to back with my R7. The rebels were flown on the back rear pigtail position. The rhino is crisp and likes to go in a straight line. The rebel turns quicker and has lighter bar pressure and just felt more refined than the rhino. I can't wait for the second gen rhino hybrid.

I still like the rhino for myself but I would tell most people to buy the rebel. I think the rebel might be in my quiver for riding waves and teaching next year.

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 am

D_Clark wrote:I got a chance to fly the 16m and its very quick for a big kite. much faster than my R7 14m. very smooth in the air. I also flew the 10m 08 rebel back to back with my R7. The rebels were flown on the back rear pigtail position. The rhino is crisp and likes to go in a straight line. The rebel turns quicker and has lighter bar pressure and just felt more refined than the rhino. I can't wait for the second gen rhino hybrid.

I still like the rhino for myself but I would tell most people to buy the rebel. I think the rebel might be in my quiver for riding waves and teaching next year.
Hey D_C my only disapointment is I will likely not get to ride the 16m 2008 as our crew will likely not get one and I really liked the 16m 2007, I just so want to feel a fast turning 16m pop on my 68 kg. That would be nice

the 10m is sweet as, I love it.

Daz

Return to “Kitesurfing”