Course racing Rules? advice please

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Course racing Rules? advice please

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:34 am

I am planning to organize some course racing here in Squamish, Canada. I am looking for advice on racing rules for kiteboarders. I am well aware of sailboat and windsurfer racing rules, but would like to know what special rules are needed for kiteboard races.

Thanks in advance,

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:43 am

from PKRA:

II DEFINITIONS
2.1 Abandonment. An abandoned race is one which the Race Director declares void at any time after the starting signal, and which may be re-sailed at its discretion.
2.2 Capsize. A rider shall rank as capsized when it is not under way due to the kite being down in the water, or the rider disconnected from his board.
2.3 On a Tack. A board is on a tack except when it is capsized, tacking or gibing. A board is on the tack (starboard or port) corresponding to its windward side.
2.4 Postponement. A postponed race is one not started at its scheduled time and which may be sailed at any time the Race Director may decide.
2.5 Racing. A board is racing from tits preparatory signal until it has either finished and cleared the finishing line or retired, or until the race has been postponed, abandoned, or a general recall ha been signaled.
2.6 Starting. A board starts when after its starting signal, any part of the board crosses the starting line, in a controlled kiting position, in the direction of the course to the first mark.
2.7 Finishing. A board starts when after its starting signal any part of the board crosses the finish line in a controlled kiting position.
2.8 Changing Tacks. Any transitional maneuver of changing tacks. It begins when the turn is started and the kite gets send the opposite way; and it ends when the board has borne away to a proper course and the kite is across the wind from its previous position.
2.9 Dangerous Sailing. Sailing in a manner that can be considered as dangerous or a threat to the safety of other competitors.

III CONDITIONS
3.1 Minimum Wind Conditions. For all races in the Course Racing discipline, the race shall be abandoned if the wind drops below suitable conditions. Suitable conditions will be determined by the Race Director.

IV SAILING THE COURSE
4.1 Courses. The course diagram shall be posted on the official notice board at least 30 minutes before the start of the following race.
4.2 The starting line and finish line shall be:
a) An imaginary straight line between the objects indicated on the course diagram/description. This line shall be taken between those points of the indicated objects which are facing the course side most. If one of these objects is on the beach, it shall be marked by a flag, prominently displayed, or
b) A line between two marks,
c) Any other line specified in the Sailing Instructions or course diagram.
4.3 Start – Finish. A competitor shall start and finish only as prescribed in the starting and finishing definitions, unless otherwise prescribed in the sailing instructions.
4.4 Time Limit. All competitors who fail to finish within 50% of the first finishers’ finishing time of their race, shall be deemed to have retired. (i.e. if the first finishers’ time is 30 minutes, the total time allowed for all other finishers would be 45 minutes)
4.5 Valid Race. When 50% of the registered entries finish a race in suitable conditions (Rule 2.2) the race shall be valid and other competitors shall be scored up to the time limit.
4.6 Correct Course. A competitor must sail the course so as to round or pass each mark on the required side in correct sequence according to the course diagram, and so that a string representing his/her wake from the time he/she starts until he/she finishes would, when drawn taut, lie on the required side of each mark. A competitor shall not correct a course error or re-enter the course area after crossing through the finishing line.
4.7 Touching Marks. Competitors are not allowed to touch the marks. In case of touching the mark, the competitor will have to sail a complete 360 around the mark while keeping clear of other boards to exonerate himself/herself.
4.8 Sailing in the Course Area when not Competing. If reasonably possible, a board not racing shall avoid interfering with a board that is racing.
4.9 Identification of Competitors. Each competitor must wear their respecting lycra with their assigned competition number. Failure to do so will result on the competitor not being scored.

V STARTING
5.1 Starting a Race on the Water.
a) The signals shall be:
Warning Signal ----------------- Red Flag Displayed
Preparatory Signal -------------- Yellow Flag Displayed
Starting Signal -------------------- Green Flag Displayed
b) The interval between the starting signals is at the discretion of the Race Director and shall be posted on the Official Notice Board, or in the way indicated in the Sailing Instructions. Each signal may be lowered before the next is raised. It shall be the sole responsibility of each competitor to know in which race he/she will be racing.
c) Each visual signal may be accompanied by a sound signal. However, times shall be taken from the visual starting signals, and a failure or miss-timing of a gun or other signal calling attention to any visual signal shall be disregarded.
5.2 One minute rule. Any rider over the starting line in the last minute of the starting sequence will be disqualified from that race.
5.3 Starting a Race from the Beach.
a) Any competitor in any race will be randomly assigned his/her starting station at the line by drawing a number directly before his/her start. Starting station number 1 shall be the most windward one, unless stipulated otherwise. It shall be the sole responsibility of each competitor to know in which race and in which position he/she will be racing/starting.
b) After Competitors of a race have been called to take their starting positions, the starting officer may give a preparatory signal by the raising of a red flag or giving three short sounds signals. At any time thereafter the starting officer may give the starting signal by lowering the red flag and giving one sound signal or by any other signal stated in the sailing instructions.
c) When at the starting signal, any part of a competitor’s body, or board is on the course side of the starting line, he/she shall be disqualified for that heat. There shall be no recalls for premature starters.
d) Once the starting signal has been given, each competitor shall take the shortest possible route from his/her starting position to his/her sailing position in the water (both feet on the board). This will normally be a course directly from his/her starting position to the first mark.
e) Alterations may be made to these procedures in the Sailing Instructions.

VI POSTPONING AND ABANDONING A RACE
6.1 The Race Director May:
a) before the starting signal, postpone a race for any reason.
b) After the starting signal, abandon a race or heat because of insufficient wind, or because a mark is missing or has shifted, or because the course is incorrectly laid, or for other reasons directly affecting the fairness of the competition.
c) postpone or abandon a race at any time for safety reasons.
6.2 Postponement. A postponement must be signaled by the raising of the “Answering Pendantâ€Â

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:46 am

Chris, go for it. You guys will have a lot of fun, bringing back older guys into comps again. And you need to practice for Olympia 2012 ;-)

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Thanks Toby for the great information.

I am hoping to avoid formal protest committee hearings if possible. Has anyone found a more expedient way of handling protests that works?

Chris Glazier
:wink:

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Al-Kite-A » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:36 pm

So far, in the races here in San Francisco we have had several protests the result being the offenders agree they were in the wrong and the redress request was granted.

As far as rules that are specific to kiting.

Kites are consider part of the craft when you look at any sailing rule.

A big rule around here is no starting line sitting. If you do sit you must let everyone else go.

It has taken 3 years and a professional staff for us in the SF to get where we are at, Good luck. Send your best down here for the Worlds 2008.

The International Sailing Ass. will be publishing kiteboard fleet rules later this year. Check their site sailing.org

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:51 pm

hey Al,

can you tell us more about the kite course racing worlds in 2008 in SF?

cheers
boogie

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:47 am

Chris:
I sent you a PM...if you check your sailing rule book you'll find an official alternative to hearing all protests by a protest committee. If a guy is protested on the water or knows he did something wrong, he can sail by the committee boat and tell them he did wrong or let the race committee know within an hr of the last race on land...then the protest is settled and the offending party is penalized 10% of his/her finishing place. If the protested party doesn't come forth , one member of the "protest committee" quickly hears both sides and advises the protested one of an opinion; like i think you are going to lose this one. If the protested one at this point agrees to fault, then they are "penalized" 30%. If the protested party still doesn't agree, the protest goes to the full protest committee and and if the protested one is at fault, they get a DSQ...think that's how it works...it's in the rule book somewhere.

Also, when I used to race sailboats a loooong time ago, the # of protest were getting out of hand so the deal was; the protester had to put up $ with the protest. If they won, they got the $ back. If they lost their protest, they also forfeited the $ which went into a pool...ya buy drinks with the $
steve

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster

Postby Al-Kite-A » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:35 pm

I have only hear second hand about it. We are racing tonight so I will ask around. But I think that it is still being worked out including the US National being in Corpus Christi, TX.

Steve might know more. He will one of the people I will be asking tonight :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:03 am

A big rule around here is no starting line sitting. If you do sit you must let everyone else go.
yes, we discussed this one during PKRA as well. It was advised, but didn't become a rule. But it should, this way everyone gets blocked.

Put this in from the beginning, and you should have less trouble.

Be sure, there will be protests. The race director should hear both, separately, and then decide.

Tell everyone to give sign and shout, if they are on starboard, if they are heading towards each other. This way the other knows, if he does not get out of the way, he will get a protest.
And one example: I once was so focused on getting my upwind position right to get a buoy, and was turning my head from the direction many times to see if I can make the buoy...then Shawn shout at me, he had starboard...I didn't see him! So this helps big time!

Chris, I advice you to do some test runs before you make it an event.
Get the local crew together, and have some fun/learning races.
This way you will learn everything the best and quickest way and see, what comes up and where the problems are.
Then you do an event with that knowledge.

Worlds08? Any dates known yet?

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster

Postby Al-Kite-A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:01 pm

Got the low-down on the Worlds and US Nationals last night.

It is a bidding process. So where or when not yet set. But I personal think that it is pretty much a lock that the St. Francis will hold the Worlds because the sport was started there and they are the ones that have worked to get it added as a class in sailing. For a date my guess is it will be late June early August.
If the yacht club in Corpus wins there bid to have the US Nationals sound like it could be in March.

Return to “Kitesurfing”