The wetsuit/drysuit debate

Forum for kitesurfers
don pitcher
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Stop the pimping. Listen to Reason.

Postby don pitcher » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:34 pm

gideonlow wrote:OR, please stop the hard-core pimping, I can't believe much of anything you're saying when it's so obvious you're just trying to sell your own product.
Yes, he is trying to sell product, but he is giving good information. I hate pimping also, but I don't think OR is out of line.

My wife and I own O’Neil and OS Systems drysuits. When we need more warmth than a 3/2 wetsuit, we throw on a drysuit over the 3/2. It works for us just as he says.
gideonlow wrote:Several folks from CT responded to this post. You had a rider in your community pass-away last winter after being caught on the sound for several hours.
Riding alone in cold water is dangerous; doing this in offshore winds is a fatality waiting to happen.

The safest thing anyone can do when riding in cold water is ride with a buddy. The buddy system is using common sense.

If drysuits are so dangerous, why does the Coast Guard use them? Why do arctic kayakers use them? Surely, they would not take unnecessary risks.

Innis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The wetsuit/drysuit debate

Postby Innis » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Re:
5) how hard to get into a drysuit?
My Pyro is considerably easier to get into and, especially, out of than my 4/3 steamer.

Any special tricks there?
Hold the seals open when you put your feet, hands and neck through them. Keep the zipper clean. Be sure to get the air out (at least below your harness).

6) just how tight does the neck seal have to be?
My rule is comfortably snug without causing discomfort. You shoudn't be spending much time with that part under water so I don't think it needs to be too tight. The leg seals are the most important ones to get right. The seal should start just above your ankle and smoothly encircle a few inches up your leg from there. The upper part of your neoprene boots should then go over this seal to help prevent water from going up there.

Toomas
Rare Poster

Postby Toomas » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:27 am

Can anyone compare Pyro Surf against Pyro Classic/Pro/lite?
I am considering Pyro Surf as it seems to be the most advanced technology in drysuit's world at the moment. Is there any specific downsides of Surf comparing the other Pyro suits?
Thanks for your comments. As I do not have the suits here I just have to order one without trying them out first.
Best regards

JON MODICA
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby JON MODICA » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:15 am

TO END THE DEBATE, JUST TRY A NPX

http://www.NPX-hq.com

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:51 am

Toomas wrote:Can anyone compare Pyro Surf against Pyro Classic/Pro/lite?
I am considering Pyro Surf as it seems to be the most advanced technology in drysuit's world at the moment. Is there any specific downsides of Surf comparing the other Pyro suits?
Thanks for your comments. As I do not have the suits here I just have to order one without trying them out first.
Best regards
I haven't seen a Pyro Surf in person, but I think the verdict is that for kiteboarding, the Pro is the better choice. The Surf has the advantage of being suitable for surfing if you do that at all, but the Pro is built specifically for kiting and looks more durable too.

overboard
Medium Poster

Postby overboard » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 am

I have been using the Pyro Surf now for the past month and I do like the freedom it gives. Being the English summer I have been using a very thin one piece suit underneath made from wicking material and have not been putting the neck seal on and zipping up until ready to go on the water to keep my temperature down when on the beach. I have yet to use the suit with my usual Weasel undersuit which I have been using with my Pyro suit.

In comparison with the Pyro suit it is certainly not as durable so needs a substantial pair of board shorts to protect it if you do skid along the beach on your butt. The leg seals are more difficult to get into until you get the right technique but the neck seal I find much easier to get into, probably because there is some stretch in the suit. Certainly much easier to swim in and seems better when body dragging. I do seem to get a bit more wind chill with it than with the Pyro, probably due to the lycra holding water.

It certainly kept me warm on the beach last Sunday, when I came in after a session, while talking to another kiter in a wet suit who was shivering like mad.

The Pyro Surf, being so thin and flexible, could work over a wetsuit for those kiting in extremely cold conditions as a possibility.

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm

I've used a Pyro Classic for the last two UK winter seasons. Before that I was in a 5/3 wetsuit. Down to water temp 8C (44F) airtemp 1C (33F)

Overall the I found the drysuit better in the proper cold.

Easier to get in and out off, even with the rear zipper I can do it up on my own but I'm fairly flexible!
Warmer, partically when changing!!
Range of movement is better in the wetsuit
Takes a while to get used to the drysuit, partically the neck seal being tight
Drysuit can leak on the seals and after a long session you can get damp from sweat but still warmer than a wetsuit.
Swimming harder in dry suit
No problem with impact vest

I'm really pleased with the drysuit but last season in the UK it was fairly warm and my mate got away with just a good 5/3 wetsuit. I hate the bulky layers so unless it's below 10C (50F) water and air I would rather be in a wetsuit.

I think the 3mm you should be a drysuit clam is a bit wild.

cram
Medium Poster

Postby cram » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:44 pm

In the summer I use a 5/4 excel suit, in the winter I use a Pyro classic..
The advantages are simple: you stay warm in the water, out the water and when changing. You have lots of freedom of movement. 2nd sessions are like 1st sessions in that you don't have to get into a wet wetsuit.

Even if you get a water in the suit, your fleece keeps you warm.
Warmth is the # 1 reason for a dry suit, freedom of movement is the 2nd reason. Keep in mind that I am talking about Canadian winter ocean sailing on the west coast. Our temps would be the equivalent of Seattles.

dpca10
Frequent Poster

Postby dpca10 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Ok i'll chime in. I used the pyro surf kiteboarding at the Kite expo in pismo. It took me a while to get into it (I even put it on backwards the first time) with Evan helping me out. The water was around 54 i'd say and I didn't have anything under the suit except a shirt and some boxers. I was comfortable out in the surf and rode for half an hour with zero chill. I came in thanked the OR guys and put on my 4/3 oneal psycho 2. I was shocked at how much colder the water felt in the wetsuit. I wasn't cold per say but colder, especially with the wind around 30kts. All that being said I held off buying the pyro surf since I thought it was a little tricky geting in and out of, and want to try the Pro first. After surfing in Santa Cruz last weekend i'm reconsidering the Surf. Although I did try the new top of the line Xcel wetsuit and was sweating my ass off in the changing room. Too much good technology and no way to really try it out.

jeff1
Medium Poster
Style: freeride

So What to wear underneat a pyro pro

Postby jeff1 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Ok so is at track suit too much to wear under the pyro pro in water temps of 8c or do u just put on a long sleeve top and long shorts.....anyone got the answer without going into a deep discussion on wet suits and buoyance and water getting in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”