Forum for kitesurfers
eag
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo Rise 10m review

Postby eag » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:18 pm

I got to demo a 10m Ocean Rodeo Rise yesterday. I’ve never reviewed gear on the forums before, but this kite warranted a write-up.

I weigh 185 and was riding my 133x40 twin at 3rd. The wind was averaging 15-17 mph according to ikitesurf. For reference I have spent decent amounts of time riding the following- Torch 3 ‘07, North Rebel ‘07, SS Link ‘07 and Best Waroo.
‘06
The Kite- Construction looks very solid. One pump system with external hoses and clips like a Flexifoil or Slingshot. It has a simple, short bridle for the front lines and direct attachment of the back lines, like a Caution Answer or Flexifoil Ion.

The Bar- Nice simple 4 line bar. Trim and safety both below the bar. On-the-fly stopper ball.

I was skeptical at best rigging a 10m while everyone else my size had 14s and 16s, but I had no problem at all parking the kite and cruising upwind. The power is awesome, like other 12s or 14s. The kite turns really fast, I got spanked once or twice before I got used to it. For a 10m it was way more stable than my old 10m torch, more like the 10m Rebel. The wind was a little light for jumping, but for the conditions it seemed like it had good lift. I never had to re-launch it, but I’m sure it’s fine. Overall it was the most impressive kite I’ve ever ridden, I think a 10m will be my new biggest kite!

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:51 pm

did you unhook?
How does the turning speed compare to the torch?

ytcapz
Rare Poster

Postby ytcapz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:15 am

Yeah, that low end power is something else. I borrowed a friend's 10m '07 Rise about a month ago. Everyone else was out on 14's and 16's in about 12 knots of wind. I'm 185lbs and was fully powered up on the 10m.

And man, it sure turns fast!!

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 am

i didn't unhook, but apparently the vents on the 08 rise reduce back-flying.

The 10m turned as fast as the 10m Torch 3, but was smoother. I found the 10m torch to be squirrly in anything but super steady wind.

cram
Medium Poster

Postby cram » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:26 pm

What do you think that a realistic bottom end would be on the 10, using the same board? I'm strongly considering a 10 or 12m. I would like to be able to ride in 12knots(bottom end).

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:12 pm

general rule of tumb with the Rise..... If you have doubts between 2 sizes. take the smaller one. The kite has amzing low-end and is really grunty. 10m Rise has same low-end as a 13m Fuel.... :o I know pretty weird stuff.

MHK
Medium Poster

Postby MHK » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:29 pm

This is my first review and, like the post from eag, felt this kite deserved some attention.

We’ll we finally got some decent winds over the weekend here in south Florida. Those familiar with south Fla know that the majority of the kites flown here are Best and Cabs with few others mixed in. I can’t remember ever seeing a Ocean Rodeo out here.

I myself ride Waroo 06’ (12 & 16), prior to that C kites (cab nitro, liquid force, and airush). I’m 200lbs, ride a Jaime pro board (L) w/ bindings.

Like many others, I don’t want to give up the range the bow kites offer but I am looking for a more responsive & aggressive kite that you can unhook with (like the C kite).

Miguel (great guy & instructor from BigKites.com) acquired some demo gear from OR.

The winds were averaging 15-20 mph occasionally gusting to 25mhp. I had been on my 12 waroo pretty much most of the day. Miguel showed up mid-afternoon. I came in when he was setting up the Rise demos.

He had just rigged the 10 Rise when I approached. He told me that he would be setting up the 12 rise soon, and if I’d like to hang on or grab the 10 and switch off as soon as he’s done. Sounds good to me and off I went.

On my first couple tacks I was really moving, but figured it must be the wind gusting. However, I am noticing that I am cutting upwind faster then smaller guys on 12s.

Wait a minute, I start focusing on the kite to make sure it was actually a 10. At this point I am a little a little surprised that I am one of the bigger riders out, and on the smallest kite, while blowing upwind better than my own 12 waroo.

The kite is fast, and great pull through the turns. After a few speed runs, its time to boast. Definitely no problem here, great height (beyond my expectations), nice and floaty. Ok next, lets try something simple- like a hooked in backroll. Expecting enough height for one rotation, I quickly got yanked for two rotations with a kite loop to finish. Again, I am in disbelief that I am pulling this w/ a 10 in 15-20 mhp. Ok how about unhooking, lets try a rally. Great huge pop, with great response.

I turned it over to one of the other rider (about my same weight). Everyone that rode it felt that it pulled like a bigger kite.

Overall excellent performance very impressed!!

Pros
· Very responsive
· Fast
· Excellent forward speed
· Just the right amount of bar pressure (I don’t like light)
· Great grunt
· Great low end
· Nice clean bar
· Overall Solid Construction (great attention to small details)

Neg

· Did initially find it wanting to fall back when standing still. However, I think this is tuning issue. I was able to correct by sheeting about 8â€Â

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Guys,

We are stoked that you love the kite and appreciate your feedback! Try the kite using both of the front attachment points (can be switched on the beach in seconds) and see which you prefer as they make a huge difference to the way the kite feels and flys.

Forward setting = maximum depower, quickest relaunch and higher, more direct bar pressure, faster landings.

Rear setting (factory setting) = less depower, light bar pressure, slower, floatier landings.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World's riders one at a time, welcome to the Crew!
Attachments
08 Rise Venturi.jpg
08 Rise Venturi.jpg (229.87 KiB) Viewed 7595 times

calikites
Frequent Poster
Gear: All of the gear

Rise 10

Postby calikites » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:54 pm

I had a chance to ride the new rise with Ocean Rodeo while they were in Tampa for a Demo. Compared to last years Rise I would say that the difference is remarkable. The range is noticeably better on the high end, and the kite feels over all smoother than last years. Unhooked, this is the first kite that I have ever flown where I didn't have to de-power the kite first. Normally ever other kite that I have flown, when I unhook back flys. I don't know if this is because of the vents or what, however it feels really good unhooked. It jumps well, turns well, and depowers well. The bar pressure is light so you can ride it for hours and hours (sorry I may have over stayed my visit on the kite guys). Thanks to Evan and John and everyone else at Ocean Rodeo.

-Brian

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:32 pm

cram wrote:What do you think that a realistic bottom end would be on the 10, using the same board? I'm strongly considering a 10 or 12m. I would like to be able to ride in 12knots(bottom end).
Cram,

What board do you ride, and what's your weight? Are you on the island? I'm already missing the time I spent up there this summer......gotta love the spit.....

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World's riders one planet a time, welcome to the Crew!
Attachments
1490812502_9cc635e2d1.jpg
1490812502_9cc635e2d1.jpg (141.85 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
1490812154_cfd504909d.jpg
1490812154_cfd504909d.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 7376 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”