Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Matt606
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gap year

Postby Matt606 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:52 pm

HI, im planning on taking a gap year (kiting) and wondering where would be a god place to start prefferably with waves in september 08. Any advice on any thing vaguely related would be awesome.

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm "gapping" right now, moving into my 2nd gap. :)

I started in Brazil September, moved from the Northeast/Cumbuco about Nov to south Brazil (Florianopolis and Ibiraquera) and found paradise. Waves, waves, women and wind.

Next, spring was up on the OBX/USA for a month, then the Velocity Games in Corpus Christi, TX for a month, then to Cabarete for several months until mid August.

NOTE: I usually just spend all my time in Brazil and Cabarete. Cabarete has changed alot for me (being going since 96), so I decided to look elsewhere. The wind and warm water are the bomb and after spring the wind is great.

Next, it was the Canary Islands, Tenerife, which is where I stopped and may stay.

I REALLY want to go back to Floripa and Ibira so I may leave here around Xmas and head back to Brazil.

In case you don't know, Tenerife is windy as hell, serious wind most of the time, and pretty much year round. Oct-Nov are the "non" wind months and I've been out already and will today and next week according to the forecast.

Send me a message, the only place I've missed is Western OZ for our winter in the north. It's just a long trip, but a return to Mauritius then back to Tenerife may be worth it.

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm "gapping" right now, moving into my 2nd gap. :)

I started in Brazil September, moved from the Northeast/Cumbuco about Nov to south Brazil (Florianopolis and Ibiraquera) and found paradise. Waves, waves, women and wind.

Next, spring was up on the OBX/USA for a month, then the Velocity Games in Corpus Christi, TX for a month, then to Cabarete for several months until mid August.

NOTE: I usually just spend all my time in Brazil and Cabarete. Cabarete has changed alot for me (being going since 96), so I decided to look elsewhere. The wind and warm water are the bomb and after spring the wind is great.

Next, it was the Canary Islands, Tenerife, which is where I stopped and may stay.

I REALLY want to go back to Floripa and Ibira so I may leave here around Xmas and head back to Brazil.

In case you don't know, Tenerife is windy as hell, serious wind most of the time, and pretty much year round. Oct-Nov are the "non" wind months and I've been out already and will today and next week according to the forecast.

Send me a message, the only place I've missed is Western OZ for our winter in the north. It's just a long trip, but a return to Mauritius then back to Tenerife may be worth it.

Matt606
Rare Poster

Awsome

Postby Matt606 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:55 am

That sounds awsome have you worked at all during that time or have you lived off savings. I was considering qualifying as a kitesurfing instructor but i dont know the availability of jobs in non english speaking countries. Tennerife sounds sweet but the aspect of travel would probably make me chooose somewhere less well travelled just for the experience. What are your plans after gapping

Return to “Travel”