Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does the Wichard 2673 release reliably from a chicken loop?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does the Wichard 2673 release reliably from a chicken loop?

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:20 pm

After the WARNING TO SNAP SHACKLE USERS thread:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5202&start=0&post ... &highlight

I got the impression that some people were saying no shackles release reliably unless you hook them to a steel ring while others were saying the Wichard 2673 works fine with a plastic coated chicken loop or plain rope loop.
Wichard 2673

As far as I could gather the general consensous of opinion was that the side release snap shackle (below) only releases reliably from a metal ring and then probably after applying a lot of force to release it

So, does the Wichard 2673 release reliably from a chicken loop?
I have tested a Wichard 2673 on a chicken loop under my body weight (maybe not enough) and it releases every time easy.

Some shackles might be dangerous with steel rings, I thought someone said even the Wichard 2673 can catch on a steel ring but this trigger shackle below has a bloody big hook on the end when it's open, just waiting for a metal ring.
Wichard Trigger Snap Shackle

Obviously the most important thing of all is to test your own particular settup and make sure it releases reliably.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:01 pm

Mr. Joe,
I have tried the 2673 set up in many ways and it seems extremely reliable in releasing from anything. Having said that, I think you are extra safe to release from a ring or carbiner. My current favorite setup is to use the 2673 attached to my spreader bar. I have replaced my trim loop with the second shackle you show above (side pin release). The two shackles meet jaw to jaw, and release from each other. My thinking is why bother to use a ring, when you can just use another shackle for backup purposes. I almost always pull the side pin release shackle when I solo land. It has always worked well. However, I have done loaded release tests and the side pin shackle does require considerably more force to release when under load. THe 2673 appears to be unchanged by any load that I could put on it.

BE advised the the 2673 can release inadvertanly if you just put a ball on the release line. THis is due to the force of the water slapping the ball. My solution is to add a thin piece of bungie from the ball to the shackle. THis requires that the bungie be streched to a certain length before the release line loads up and releases. No more accidental releases.

Gary

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:19 pm

hey jo,
mine has worked perfectly every time and i have it attached directly to my psycho's chicken loop. It is very reliable. I left my harness in acapulco, and will get it back in two weeks when i return. I will take a picture of it and post it here.
Go for it, it is the best shackle out there. One thing though, if you don't rinse it with fresh water, it starts rusting in certain areas.
Andres

Disco D
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jersey and Hatteras
Gear: Mixed Flexi quiver.

Postby Disco D » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:30 pm

Andres,

Thats because it is not Stainless Steel. It is chrome plated steel.

D

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Does the Wichard 2673 release reliably from a chicken lo

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:44 pm

"Mr Jo Macdonald" wrote:

I got the impression that some people were saying no shackles release reliably unless you hook them to a steel ring while others were saying the Wichard 2673 works fine with a plastic coated chicken loop or plain rope loop.
Some will not release reliably from ANYthing (even a big, thick ring) under load. The 2673* pictured below has been reported to stick on some tubing-covered loops, & also on some o-rings, but not on a plain line loop (which is what I've been using for quite a while.

*pretty much agreed by the majority to be the safest of all snap shackles, along with the 2773, & other Wichards with an identical mechanism, due to it being the only tip-pivot model with an exposed mechanism which can't jam with sand. By the way, it IS stainless steel (forged), I always ride in salt water, have never rinsed mine, & the very slight rust on some parts does not hinder the function at all.

As far as I could gather the general consensous of opinion was that the side release snap shackle (below) only releases reliably from a metal ring and then probably after applying a lot of force to release it
Pretty much, but it's the PIVOT being at the side which hinders release under load (ALL shackles RELEASE from the side, even if the trigger is centered).

So, does the Wichard 2673 release reliably from a chicken loop?
Yes, as long as there's no TUBE on the loop.
I have tested a Wichard 2673 on a chicken loop under my body weight (maybe not enough) and it releases every time easy.
Not "maybe", DEFINITELY not enough weight. Consider this: While riding fully powered with the kite & your butt both nearly skimming the surface, & the board railed over very hard, the lines are nearly touching the toe side of your board, nearly parallel to your legs, which feel about ready to collapse under the load. That load must be around 4 times your body weight, because each leg can support twice your weight, since you can walk carrying a person of equal weight. Nothing usually breaks when you're riding like this, but stuff DOES break when you get slammed & dragged hard by an out-of-control kite. That means there can likely be more than FOUR TIMES YOUR BODY WEIGHT on the shackle, when you need it to release.
Some shackles might be dangerous with steel rings, I thought someone said even the Wichard 2673 can catch on a steel ring but this trigger shackle below has a bloody big hook on the end when it's open, just waiting for a metal ring.
That's right. I was the one reporting that a local rider told me his 2673 caught on the very same ring which released reliably from his side pivot shackle. Somebody else reported on the Yahoo group that a ring had caught on a Wichard Trigger Snap Shackle as shown below.

Obviously the most important thing of all is to test your own particular settup and make sure it releases reliably.
Absolutely, but you need to test it with no load, & 4 times your weight, & a few in-between loads, AND try to MAKE it stick, in order to be fairly certain that it will release when you need it to.
Last edited by kiteboarder@pacbell.net on Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:09 pm

I've been fiddling around with my 2673.

I have actually found it to catch on a steel ring. But not catch the way I think most people are referring to.

I can have all my body weight on it, pull the trigger and NOTHING happens. The shackle does not even open. No movement, nothing. Putting more or less body weight has no effect. This is pretty much a brand new shackle. I think you need to make sure that the thickness of the steel ring is wide enough that it does not sit right up in the hinge of the tip pivot. Mine is a pretty standard steel ring though. It kind of freaks me out. Happens every tenth time or so.

Anybody experienced this? Is this what some people are referring to when they say that plastic loops or rings sometimes don't work?

Cheers,
Alan

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:I've been fiddling around with my 2673.

I have actually found it to catch on a steel ring. But not catch the way I think most people are referring to.

I can have all my body weight on it, pull the trigger and NOTHING happens. The shackle does not even open. No movement, nothing. Putting more or less body weight has no effect. This is pretty much a brand new shackle. I think you need to make sure that the thickness of the steel ring is wide enough that it does not sit right up in the hinge of the tip pivot. Mine is a pretty standard steel ring though. It kind of freaks me out. Happens every tenth time or so.

Anybody experienced this? Is this what some people are referring to when they say that plastic loops or rings sometimes don't work?

Cheers,
Alan
Are you 100% sure that the 2673 is not angled slightly, because it touches your harness hook, or something ?

Because if this is the case, the ring might stick on the non-pivot side of the schackle, so it won't open !

And does it move freely - the tip pivot ?

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:54 pm

I'm quite surprised by the above report too, since I tried releasing mine from a very thin pigtail line (just to make sure that line size wasn't an issue).

alinsley
Rare Poster

Postby alinsley » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:23 am

Peter_Frank wrote: Are you 100% sure that the 2673 is not angled slightly, because it touches your harness hook, or something ?

Because if this is the case, the ring might stick on the non-pivot side of the schackle, so it won't open !

And does it move freely - the tip pivot ?
Hi Peter and Mel,

I will have a look at the shackle tonight and maybe take some photos when it is 'frozen' The tip pivot moves very nicely - like I said - it is almost new!

The shackle is tied onto my spreader with rope and is therefore free to move in any direction. The shackle is not touching the spreader in any way when it freezes.

Cheers,
Alan

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:25 am

Never ay probs with the 2674 - i chose a larger witchard for this very reason. The loop. with the larger size I have never had an inklink of trouble and in over 50hrs water time only 1 accidental release which was recovered well from by pullin the trim and hookin in to the bar while reconnecting the QR.

this accidental release was from the large ball I had on the release cord which is now smaller and trouble free.

IMHO there is no other kitesurfing QR. Illy from kitesurfin . gr had trouble releasin her 277x trigger, but that was due to her not being used to it and looked for the ball when trouble hit. luckily we were with her and nothing happened. wasnt a big deal, just a missed landing.

ttfn Jo man, catch up wityh ya soon.

Return to “Kitesurfing”