Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Safety Issues

Forum for kitesurfers
phree
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby phree » Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:37 am

I think we honor Silke Gorldt by taking special time to review and improve our safety in this sport. I encourage us all to now discuss safety issues that could help avoid tragedies like the one that took Silke.

Of course, the issue of quick releases on depower loops is huge. On this subject, I would appreciate feedback on a modified safety set up that I'm considering.

I am looking to use a Da Kine Reactor bar that has a Ronstan shackle added for the depower loop. This set up allows one to also use the main harness loop if desired. Here are two photos that show the general idea:

Only I want to use this set up with the X2 bar. Instead of having the depower loop attached to the shackle by a metal ring, I want to attach the quick release depower loop that comes with the X2. A person using the pictured set up said that should work fine. It adds one more way of getting out of the chicken loop besides relying on the Ronstan shackle.

What do you guys think of that idea?

rene q
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rene q » Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:07 am

Isn't it dangerous that the safety leash is attached to the release pin? With a loose safety leash dashing around when sailing, I can imagine that it may ocationally release the depower in unwanted situations?
And is it possible to choose between the depower line and the safety line in emergency situations?
Hmm, maybe it is, 'cause the depower is tight and the safety not offcourse.
But I think I would make some knots on the safety line, so it would be easier to select.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rene q on 2002-06-08 11:08 ]</font>

nicolasc
Rare Poster

Postby nicolasc » Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:14 am

for simple riding. Use the takoon bars with all the quick release you want. You can make one or two loop and after in the opposite way (ex front to back). The system is really effecient. Good wind

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:45 pm

I think that if you let go and unhook all that happens on this set up would be that the kite now flies fully powered up with the bar out of your reach. If the safety is tied to both front lines you just gave it more power no? Also using the safety that way would cause involuntary release if you spun the bar and it looped the safety enough it ould cause your chicken loop to release with the "safety?" now looped several times around the bar.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:11 am

Thanks John for posting a photo and explaination of the kite control bar. We need lots more development and swapping of ideas for kite leash systems and control bars. It would be great to see many more systems and ideas for more functional and reliable leash systems. I have heard about them, this would be a great time to both see and talk about these new designs further.

Rick Iossi

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:55 am

If you want a system like that, with the leash tied to the release trigger you would be better of using a tyalska shackle.. With the tyalska you have to pull toward your body to relase thus accidental pulling on the leash toward the kite won't release. In your system it will. With a tyalska you can use shock cord inside tubular webbing for the leash and it will always be pull somewhat towards the kite.

-Peter

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:32 am

I have to admit that ANY safety-release is better then none (accept for a false safetyfeeling) but I have 2 remarks:
A safetyrelease on wich you have to take an action, isn't good, you can test it 100 times, it will work, but when you are in real danger, you simply don't have the time to think and act.
second: those hooks will not work with extreme power on it. I have used them in the past ( I do powerkiting for several years now) and even modified them (took of some material of the pin, so it would release easier) but again with extreme power: it won't work.
The only systems that work are those who release one or more lines after you let go of the bar or grips!
Gé

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:30 pm

Gè, you are right, that some quick releases don't open 100%, but there are some doing this. Wichard produces one and I'm using it.
The one shown on the pic is one, that doesn't open, if you use a rope or plastic tubing around a rope. Because at the eye it gets bigger and there it will stop under full pressure, so it doesn't release.
But here he used a metal ring and this works 100%, because it can't stop at the wider eye.

Also I'm pretty sure that he attached the safety to one depower line only, and this way it can open without any pressure.

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:29 am

Thanks Toby, that's the information I was looking for. Now I know not to hook my X2 quick release depower loop into this Ronstan shackle. I still like the idea though and wonder which shackle to use that will totally release the depower loop under pressure. Do you thing the Wichard shackle would be good for this? Does anyone know where I can get those in the USA? Also Toby please one other question: What about using the pictured set up except with a better shackle, the X2 depower loop (as discussed above) AND ALSO USING THE X2 LEASH CONNECTED TO SPREADER BAR INSTEAD OF ATTACHED TO SHACKLE PIN?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:18 pm

Hi John,

the shackle above will work with an iron ring as shown. The Wichard will work without metal, so you can hook the depower loop directly in.
I have now idea where to get the Wichard in the US.
To be safer, I wouldn't attach the safety the shackle. It will be fine somewhere at the harness.

Greetings
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”