Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Electric kite pump

Forum for kitesurfers
joeag
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby joeag » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:28 pm

Anybody have any experience with the kite specific version of the Scoprega?

http://www.scoprega.it/or4/or?uid=SCOPR ... =739&img=1

Is it any better/necessary?

Can you really carry one of these on an airplane? I can just see the TSA throwing up all over this thing when they pull it out of your bag!

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 pm

A generous offer Spork! If I get the dead one to you would you be able to ascertain the parts needed and steer me in the right direction to acquire them? I'm not as knowledgeable as you are about the guts of this thing-- although when it died in a puff of smoke I did dive in there to see what's up. Multiple points of failure if I recall, so I just shelved it last season. (I think one pump failed and maybe a relay of some type but I forget exactly what I saw in there back then.) Do these parts have to come from Italy? Maybe I'm a "Coleman Candidate"!

spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spork » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:55 pm

fearlu wrote:A generous offer Spork! If I get the dead one to you would you be able to ascertain the parts needed and steer me in the right direction to acquire them?
Bring it by. I can definitely find out what's wrong. I can probably steer you in the direction of the parts needed. If it ends up being the electronics I'll probably recommend doing the "toggle switch" mod. If it's one of the motors or impeller we'll probably need to get parts. The parts are cheap, but I'm not sure about availability these days. I heard rumor they changed distributors here in the U.S. - but I'm sure we can get them.
Anybody have any experience with the kite specific version of the Scoprega?
I'm pretty sure the kite specific model is identical to the normal HP (high pressure) model except for the kite graphic silkscreened on the front of the case. From what I recall, all the internal part numbers are the same.
Can you really carry one of these on an airplane? I can just see the TSA throwing up all over this thing when they pull it out of your bag!
I've done it many times. And I'll be taking it to South Padre next month. If you bring it as carry-on you can count on them taking it out, looking at it cross-eyed, testing it in their explosives sniffing machine, and then letting you through. I guess it would make sense to give yourself an extra 20 minutes in case they tell you it has to go as checked luggage.

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Here's my much abused Scoprega pump. Replaced 2 low pressure and a high pressure pump. I have also wired around the electronics and added two switches and a gauge. But Ive had it for 2+ years and it really saves my back.

Its pretty easy to bypass the electronics and I (or Spork) could post instructions if needed.
Attachments
kitepump.jpg
kitepump.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

joeag
Medium Poster

Postby joeag » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:09 pm

THAT is a masterful display of hacking! I love the PVC pipe and velcro'd toggle switches.. We will do anything in this sport to keep something we like/find useful going, won't we? :)

I found one of these up at West Marine for $180. They have a great return/exchange policy as well.

(Edit: Looks like that's the one w/o the internal battery, they apparently don't sell the one with the internal battery).

Spork thanks for the info on the standard/kite versioning.. they probably charge more for the kite version as well, I expect..
Last edited by joeag on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:40 pm

CosmoDog and I used slightly different technology (PVC and rocker switches vs. silicone tubing and toggle switch) but did basically the same mods to the pump. Here's my hack. You can just see the toggle switch sticking up through the case near where the hose exits.

Cosmo, I didn't realize you replaced a high-pressure stage. What was the failure mode? I've only known one other to fail.
Attachments
P9130008.JPG
P9130008.JPG (117.1 KiB) Viewed 2706 times

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:16 pm

What was the failure mode?
A shaft on one of the gears broke - still worked but at 1/2 speed.

joeag
Medium Poster

Postby joeag » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Spork, you think there is any validity to this comment (from another thread on this pump):

"You'd better use BST 12 X-KITE for kite inflation.
which is desiguned for smaller diamater of inflation nossle.

BST12 or BST12HPP are designed for inflate rubber boart which has bigger inflation nossle.Which is not good for kite.It will make blower to hi-pressure pump to stop and go every 2 second and make easier to brake that pump because which is not designed for.

I talked with Scoprega on 2003 and they started to produce electric pump which use for kite from 2004."

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:47 pm

joeag wrote:Spork, you think there is any validity to this comment (from another thread on this pump):

"You'd better use BST 12 X-KITE for kite inflation.
which is desiguned for smaller diamater of inflation nossle.

BST12 or BST12HPP are designed for inflate rubber boart which has bigger inflation nossle.Which is not good for kite.It will make blower to hi-pressure pump to stop and go every 2 second and make easier to brake that pump because which is not designed for.
I guess I can't say definitively that the statement isn't true, but I just now double checked my parts diagram. The part numbers for both the low and high pressure stages, as well as the pressure gauge/cutoff switch, are identical for those two pumps. One part number that differs is the board that holds the two electronic relays, and I think that may simply be the difference between the model that has the internal battery vs the alligator clips.

So I can't say for sure, but I'm 99% certain there's no difference if you end up doing the mod I do anyway (which circumvents their relays). That board has been the source of many failures in the field; and personally I'm more comfortable watching the pressure rise on the gauge rather than crossing my fingers that it will stop pumping when it reaches the selected value. Incidentally, the specs say the pump will only go up to something like 11.9 psi, but when testing it (not on a kite) it spikes my 15 psi gauge with no trouble at all.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:58 am

CosmoDog wrote: Its pretty easy to bypass the electronics and I (or Spork) could post instructions if needed.
That would be great if you could post some rewire instructions. Thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”