Mako boards

Forum for kitesurfers
solo flight
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby solo flight » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:45 pm

After reading the good reviews on the Mako I built some boards up to 43 cm's and inlo to medium winds they are great fun as you can carve any kind of turn and not sink no matter how slow you come out.
In strong winds you have to spill a lot of kitepower first before you can control such a big board.
Great concept.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Kirok wrote:
Mikey wrote:Any feedback on the extra wide 150?

How does it go as a super light wind board?

Thanks,

Mike
And is it more "Surf" than the Mako Surf? I mean it is wider so it should plane better when the kite is not pulling during the bottom turn in waves.

Kirk
The Mako 150 Freeride Wide (150x40) is designed for use as a light wind board, and it does take off and plane in very little wind. It is fast like all of the Makos are so it will help you to generate apparent wind speed and blow through the holes. In the waves, this will allow you to ride a smaller kite than you could with the Mako Freeride (150x34).

The photo attached is of a demo day in Florida. The wind was about 12-15 knots, and both riders are on 12m Rise Venturis. One guy (not a lightweight) is riding the Mako Wide and the other is on the Surf.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World one rider at a time.
Attachments
Florida.jpg
Florida.jpg (91.65 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

Chris1973
Medium Poster

Postby Chris1973 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:36 pm

From what i've been reading i think i'll give it a go for a mako board.
The problem is that i live in Greece and there is no dealer of OR here. So how can i get a 2008 135x35 or a 150x35 2008 mako board?
I ceep searching for any online shop that has them but i can't seem to find any.
I also have a Nobile 666 135x44 and a skywalker rider 130x39.
Which one of the above mako twintips do you think it would be better for a 90kg beginer in mainly choppy conditions of 12 to 25 knots, 135x35 or 150x35???

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:01 pm

Chris, the 2008's should be available from November 15th from here in Thailand ...

I think definitely either the Mako 150x35 or the Mako Wide 150x40 would probably suit you best at your weight and conditions...

cram
Medium Poster

Postby cram » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:09 pm

EvanOR wrote: I am expecting we will receive the first production run at the end of this month). There are only two directionals in circulation at the moment, one of which is in Florida and the other is mine :D . You will find the specs and construction details here .
Any updates on availabillity?

Thanks,

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:55 pm

cram wrote:
EvanOR wrote: I am expecting we will receive the first production run at the end of this month). There are only two directionals in circulation at the moment, one of which is in Florida and the other is mine :D . You will find the specs and construction details here .
Any updates on availabillity?

Thanks,
We're expecting to shart shipping 08 boards in about two weeks, but if you are looking for a killer deal we do have some 07's left. Please contact your retailer for details.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World one rider at a time.

cram
Medium Poster

Postby cram » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Thanks, looking forward to trying one.

oceanaries
Rare Poster

Postby oceanaries » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:13 pm

Just another very happy Mako 150 rider here....OR, the Mako 150 really is such a fun board. Upwind like crazy is right (not in light wind though), I absolutely Love the thing, ..I generally will not ride it in less than 18knots or so, and use a spleen sessions 142 in these conditions, but if the wind is up, the Mako is soo much more fun to ride. Super fun in waves.
The only complaint (Sorry OR) I might have is the bindings...I replaced the standard bindings, with Dakine X-Lace, for some reason I always felt uncomfortable with the standard Mako 150 bindings... Never had this problem with other bindings, regardless, its the board is great.

Can't wait to try the Mako Surf.

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:03 am

Only a matter of days now before our shipment is delivered ... can't wait to try 'em !

For guys riding in Asia - surely, they would be an excellent board for Mui Ne with the huge chop that it gets here when the winds are 25~30kts+

(By the way, been here (Mui Ne) 7 days now and unfortunately still no wind - boys have only had 1.5days in the past 3 weeks !!! ... really think we have just been unlucky as this place rocks normally - yeah, we are here a bit early - Dec/Jan is the windiest. )

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Finally got my Mako's (150Wide and 134x35) last saturday ... perfect conditons at my local kitebeach here in Samui ... sunny, warm, waves, flat water and some chop with only 2~3 guys out at one time ... I JUST CAN'T BELEIVE HOW GOOD THESE BOARDS ARE ! ... you've got to be kidding ... fun or what ?
As I'm a fairly big fella, the Mako wide is something special for me ... yeah, it's a bit longer than usual, but now I can rig a smaller kite and have heaps more fun ... in the waves, it just loves 'em ... it surprisingly 'pops' really easy for a 150 ... chop - just eats it ... because it feels like your riding with suspension (or a cushioning affect) you can spend more time on the water 'cause it's easier on the legs ...

Unusually for Samui - we've had a week of perfect conditons ... and, yep, I admit - I am now hooked on these Mako's !!! :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”