Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No beach? No problema ...with a Bowtender.

Forum for kitesurfers
stickboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stickboy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:22 am

how about adding a quick release shackle to the kitebag you just took kite out of, fill it with sand, rocks, whatever and there you go, instant kitetender?
Attachments
kitetender.jpg
kitetender.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

bigbamboo
Medium Poster

Postby bigbamboo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:14 am

Kitezilla: Your description, and gizmo is exactly what I've been looking for to self launch my 5th line, and bow kite where there is no beach. This is the sort of thing this forum is meant to be doing. Cheers!

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:51 pm

BWD: I'm a BIG fan of the 5th. I think I figured out a way to use this sort of thing with one. The only reservation is the bar and four ines typically slide up farther on the 5th line vs. the typical SLE .. and left to their own devices - lines 'always' screw up. I'll see what happens. Thanks for posting your dwg.

Zillla: Great piece. Them lines wind up faster too.. I watch those people do a tight wrap around the center of the bar and think; "You gotta lotta time on yer hands."

Sticky: I don't use those bags - make my own long ones, but most people would not want the residual, wet sand left over in their fancy bag - but it would certainly work.

..and: NO WAY - NO WAVES!

Cheers all.

j i m

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:28 pm

stickboy wrote:how about adding a quick release shackle to the kitebag you just took kite out of, fill it with sand, rocks, whatever and there you go, instant kitetender?
That is exactly my self-launch strategy. Only problem, albeit minor, is the kitebag with more sand in it than if itwere not used as a kitetender weight.

I do however love the other innovations discussed in this thread.

mickeyd
Rare Poster

Line Tender

Postby mickeyd » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:24 pm

[quote="kitezilla"]Wetstuff,

Here are some pictures of a "Line Tender/Dispenser" device......

Zilla,

Do you have any written details on how to make one of those line tenders?

M

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Line Tender

Postby kitezilla » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:53 pm

mickeyd wrote:
kitezilla wrote:Wetstuff,

Here are some pictures of a "Line Tender/Dispenser" device......

Zilla,

Do you have any written details on how to make one of those line tenders?

M

Mickey,

You just made my day! I love construction projects, and encouraging others to make stuff, ...and I like discussing construction techniques and materials,... for a selfish reason: I always learn better ways to make things, from the projects of other people...Wetstuff, being a prime example. It wouldn't surprise me, if you come up with something I never thought of, and improve the device.

Sooooo, what I will do is get together some of the needed materials, at the local hardware store (where everyone knows my name), and take some pictures of the not-so-obvious stages of the project. Most of this project, just involves repetition, and piecing together a bunch of cPVC components...but one gadget will make the project a lot quicker and easier. You can substitute a hacksaw for the pvc cutter gadget, though. Here is the picture of the gadget, found at the local hardware store. You will also need a hack saw, some drills, a rasp bit (I'll post a pic of it), and some sandpaper or files.

I will get together the stuff in the next couple of days and take some more pictures...and work on an instructional step-by-step description. Here is a picture of the pvc cutter, and the kind of stuff, you will be working with.
Attachments
kf-pvc tool & connectors.JPG
kf-pvc tool & connectors.JPG (123.4 KiB) Viewed 2890 times

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:49 pm

Wetstuff .... I've been doing the same thing for a couple of years now off my boat. I got the idea here but I'm not sure on who it was that posted it.

I rig in the water the same as you would on land by attaching a separate anchor and line to the pump attachment loop on the kite. After my kite is rigged I allow my lines to drift downwind of the kite and release it for a drift launch. I've used this system countless times and have never had any kitemares.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:15 am

Wetstuff, I tried a similar system and it really doesn't work well unless the bottom is mud where the anchor can hold well. In places where the bottom is sandy the kite can and will pull the anchor out! I use a similar system in the winter but I replace the anchor with an ice-screw, and it works very well!

Daniel

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:39 am

You could use this system with a wombat sand anchor on the beach. Holds 300kg's which should be more than enough for a kite. Its like a screw in dog anchor but designed to hold more weight.

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 am

dksurfer wrote:Wetstuff, I tried a similar system and it really doesn't work well unless the bottom is mud where the anchor can hold well. In places where the bottom is sandy the kite can and will pull the anchor out! I use a similar system in the winter but I replace the anchor with an ice-screw, and it works very well!

Daniel
All sand where I use it and yes it has pulled my kite in the past but I have learned that the anchor needs to be set properly. Along with a good set you need to make sure you have enough line on the anchor to keep the angle proper so it can dig into the bottom, just like you would on a boat.

Return to “Kitesurfing”