Making your own line sets

Forum for kitesurfers
2talented
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Making your own line sets

Postby 2talented » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Hello, hopefully someone can help me out with making my own line sets...Yes I did a search and came up with 72,435 unrelated posts.

I was thinking about buying Q Power line, but what is the best way to make the pigtails/larkshead on the ends. Do they need to be sleeved like OEM lines? or can I tie a loop on to the ends.

Thanks for the help!

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby scklandl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 pm

no, sleevings unnneccessary qith Q-line. do a figure 8 with folded over line to make the larks head
Attachments
figure8.gif
figure8.gif (6.35 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

Silver Bullet
Rare Poster

Postby Silver Bullet » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Been using qline for years with great success, except for one thing. How do you tie the end for a knotted end instead of a loop end. Every time I've tried any type of knot, it's broken at that point within 5 sessions....

Obviously, can tie a pigtail to the line, but I'd like to eliminate the pigtail and just use the qline. Anyone know how to tie this???

Thx. in advance.

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:23 pm

any secret to keeping the lines even when tying the knot?

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm

I have made many line sets from Q-line over the years. What I do:

1. Buy a spool of 600#
2. Hammer a 16p nail into a sturdy fence post.
3. Tie a figure 8 and roll out one line.
4. Put a screw driver through the hole in the spool and stretch the line hard.
5. Cut with an extra 1.5' and tie another figure 8.
6. Use this first line as your reference distance for all other lines.
7. Put first line and second line with figure 8's on both ends through the screw driver and hold them up. Then let them sag to check relative lengths. Adjust as needed.
8. repeat...

It usually takes me about an hour. I kind of enjoy it. I have a friend who rolls out the entire length of 4 lines, folds, cuts, ties, and calls it good. I think as long as the lines are within a couple of cm of one another it's fine. I like them to be "exact," but it's kind of silly as you get differential stretching when you kite anyway, especially if you have a bow kite, and/or a favored jumping side.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:16 pm

I have been making my own line sets with Q line for years as well.
One reason I use the line is I don't think it stretches.
I always make my lines exactly the same length (at least the front two compared to each other, and then the back two comparatively).

I wouldn't recommend saying close enough, especially on the front lines. You can't compensate that much using the bar and it will cause your kite to fly odd if the front lines are not the same length.
I have been amazed in the past by just how little the front lines have to be off to make my kites off. A full inch would be seriously off, imo.
The main reason I use Q line is to avoid lines stretching (and better performance). I don't think they stretch (I might be wrong).

I use the knots as shown above.
A hint in getting the lengths equal. When you are trying to match line lengths, remember, a knot will effectively shorten the line that you are about to tie it in.
Therefore, loop the line and make the end of the loop exactly the same as the other one's loop. Then, before you "seal the deal" with the knot, lengthen the line about a quarter inch. Once the knot is tied, that extra slack is taken up, and the two lines should be close. If not, slack the knot and re-adjust it's placement a little. You start to get a feel for the amount of line taken up by the knots after a while.

I only stress about the 2 fronts being exactly the same to one another and the two backs as well.

Being off by a half inch or even 2 inches when comparing a front to back won't matter, you will just tune out that difference with your trim strap/cleat.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Silver Bullet wrote:Been using qline for years with great success, except for one thing. How do you tie the end for a knotted end instead of a loop end. Every time I've tried any type of knot, it's broken at that point within 5 sessions....

Obviously, can tie a pigtail to the line, but I'd like to eliminate the pigtail and just use the qline. Anyone know how to tie this???

Thx. in advance.
This is a somewhat related question. I have been trying to figure out how to use Q-line for the front line which goes through one stainless steel ring and attaches to the flagging ring. There is a possibility of the knot catching on the ring and of wear and breakage like mentioned above. Has anyone found a good solution to this? My kites are Cabrinhas.

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Anyone who have spliced Q-power lines? From what I understand tey have a straight core which means getting the braid to lock is more difficult unless you tranfer load to the sheet, or?

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:08 pm

Original message expired.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:10 pm

I wish I could draw a diagram, but tell me if this theory is wrong.

Cut two identical sized pieces of line. measure and mark (X) amount of cm from the end you are going to tie off on both lines. Fold line at the mark and tie knot. shouldnt this make both ends exactly the same?

Return to “Kitesurfing”