Postby fkb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 pm

I'll just say it.

REAL KITEBOARDING SUCKS

My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Skyway Scott
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Skyway Scott » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:43 pm

I am suing your as.s for quoting me 72kiteboarder.

Bare minimum 10 grand, bitc.h!! (Does that sound as juvenile as I think it does?) I thought so.

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:46 pm

whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA, WHOA!!!

Are you guys all high? REAL has an excellent reputation with the riders on the east coast. Most people share stories of nothing but excellent service from the guys and gals of REAL. My own experiences have been 100% positive from lessons to rentals to sales to simply wandering through the shop on a windless day. There's a very real shop with very friendly kiteboarders behind the internet facade.

I say all this even though I earlier contributed to this exact thread by saying "penny-wise, pound-foolish." I find this particular episode to be disappointing BECAUSE they are normally such a great shop. "Zero to Hero" sounds like a trademark phrase to me. "Ground Control" - uh, maybe - ask David Bowie and NASA. "Water Time" - are you kidding me?

What's lame is that they're sitting there reading these posts right now and deciding not to respond to them. There's a little debate going on within the shop right this very minute... and the lower IQ's are winning.
Last edited by gonewiththewind on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek park
Style: cruise
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mug » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:47 pm

I just remembered something, I am not a lawyer but isn't it true that if the individual kite shops came up with the same slogan with out having first seen the other product it is not infringement, at least thats for patents.

ttboy
Medium Poster

Postby ttboy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:52 pm

"RETAIL ENEMA " getiing it stuffed up your ass The REAL WAY!

Funny that never made it onto those bitchin red t-shirts Trademark
BLOW ME! Store credit on the bj guys!

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 pm

So lets here it Nickr1977. You always resond here for every other Real bashing post. Lets hear your side of the story.
Last edited by 72kiteboarder on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:59 pm

We are responding specifically to hear from Real. At least I am.
Let's hear this is all just a bad dream, that you guys are better than suing over some dumb words. Just put it in writing up here for us.

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 pm

By they way, I have a patent pending on steering the kite in periodic function to generate extra force, I am also applying for the technique of turning the kite 360 degree in one movement. Just to let you know.

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

trademark defense

Postby GhostDog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm

There are thousands of examples of phrases that have been trademarked by people that didn't make up the phrase, for instance..

John Calipari, basketball coach, heard fans chanting 'refuse to lose' about his team and trademarked the phrase. Now you can't sell a t-shirt without cutting him in.. smart? yes... slimy? yes..

windyinOregon
Rare Poster

Postby windyinOregon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:20 pm

Let's say they do legally own the rights to those terms(which is horse shit, and they legally don't if you look into the definition of what you can actually trade mark)...but lets say they do..... My problem with this entire situation, is they should of picked up the phone, or shot an email to the owner of 'X' shop, asking them to stop using those terms.

They didn't. Instead, they used their lawyers to try and threaten the "little guys" out there, and to force them to pay them money. They just assume that the little guys will roll over and cave in. Well, from what I can tell, they aren't going to, and if all goes well, they should sue REAL for wasting their time and money on fighting this stupid thing. If Real is smart, they will make that call or send that email to try and work this out, kite shop to kite shop. Screw the lawyers and all the other legal crap.

The problem with REAL is the owners and a select few of the 'upper level management'(which just so happens to be related to the owners as either wives, sisters, or other family members). They all, just need to get back to the basics of having fun kiteboarding and teaching others how to kiteboard. If they can do that, maybe there is hope. But knowing Trip and the others there, it isn't going to happen and eventually they will self destruct. Unlike Skyway Scott's dentist dad, I doubt Trip or the other "head haunchos" there will have 100 people at their retirment. But, I bet the lawyers will probably be there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”