RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

60 Mile Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale Race 2007

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 am

"Hi all,

Well it's that time of year again, windy in Florida. Time to ride, compete and race. So far this season on the East coast has been epic with many days above 25 and some swells that have been second to none.

It's time to make history again. Last year we had the longest downwind race, this year we will duplicate it and I would love to see the largest race. My goal is 100+ kiters racing for 60 miles from Jupiter to Tiki Beach!
So pass the word out to anyone that is not on this list, but please let be known this is not a walk in the park, very life threatening and definitely not for an average kiter.

The web site is up check out http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com/xtreme/ things are still loading now but should be complete by the morning. There is only a few changes in the rules:

1. If you pull out for any reason you must call me immediately so I can account for you.
2. Carry $150 in cash in case of a long cab ride.
3. Anyone inside a designated swim are will be disqualified immediately, this year each life guard has my cell phone # and will call at any violation with a kite color and type.
4. There will be a new e-mail list of all people registered. Updated rules and conditions will be mailed to this group only. Via this e-mail there will be a 72 hr notice for stand by and a 36 hr notice to start.
5. http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93 will also be our official public forum for updates and questions.

The kick off part this year will be at the new Evolve Watersports in Fort Lauderdale, formally know as Waterplay on Saturday the 8th of December with the first possible race day on the 9th.

To sign up for the race YOU MUST fill out the registration form and liability waive and fax or e-mail it back to me BEFORE the 8th (fax# 954-524-1103). Pay the entrance fee is $50 cash only, NO LATER than opening party evening. I assure you all proceeds will go back into the race i.e. T-shirts, trophies, party food and dink, prize money. Prize money will be determined by how many entrances we have.

So I hope to see you on the 8th at if not sooner and if you have any questions feel free to call my cell at 954-647-7228 or e-mail me here.
See you at the new Evolve on the 8th. Lets get it on and make history again!

Cheers Neil"

Last edited by RickI on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Guys are getting rev'd up already. Just thinking of all that water, waves and wind makes me want to bolt for the ocean. How are you guys doing with those electric fan kites anyway? We're between fronts today.

Neil is talking about shooting for 100 riders this time around.

Here are some images from last year:

Wonder what this year will be like?

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:54 am

Here's an update from Neil.

Ok guys just a quick heads up the forcast for this weekend is starting to look promising right. I woulg guess a 40% chance for Sunday but we are still a ways out, maybe a party Saturday night then early race at 9 am Sunday.
Remember all waivers and entrance fees must be in by this Saturday, if not you have missed the boat and will have to wait to next year. It is very important also if you are thinking about entering it is very important thatyoufill out the registration form with the link at the top of the front page of the site as I am putting together an e-mail list for all racers seperate from here for updates and rules. So if it does happen this weekend you need to be on that list.
Fingers crossed cheers Neil
Edit/Delete Message

If you're going, get registered now to avoid missing the deadline! More HERE and HERE

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Here's another update from Neil.

Hi guys this is what we have so far, please get the Insurance waiver and registration form in ASAP. Last chance for payment is Saturday but mus atleast have the registration form in earier. Cheers Neil
1. Stacy Fonas
2. Matt Sexton
3. Julia Kim
4. Jayson Orkins
5. Juan Garces
6. Chris Summers
7. David Albertson
8. Packet Casey
9. Eric Naranjo
10. Sean Reyngoudt
11. Mike Bradley
12. Chris Jordan
13. Raul Argilagos
14. Joseph
15. Kent Marinkovic
16. Steve Visnage
17. Will Caldwell
18. Sean Spenser
19. John Rudd
20. Rick Iossi
21. Chad Anschuetz
22. Tammy Camp
23. Paul Sheetz
24. Danny Albertson
25. Justice Bentz
26. Grace Marcel
27. Demion Thomas
28. Mark Barber

Registration -
http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com/xtreme/

More details -
here

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:26 pm

A look at last year. Excitement is building to rip down the coast again.

Getting ready to go

They're off!

Credit helicopter photos to Gerry Smith, beach shots to Laura

Stacey rips along

In the home stretch, gliding past Hillsboro Inlet.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:53 pm

This will be happening at the old Waterplay store now called Evolve Watersports in Fort Lauderdale.

Click for map:

http://tinyurl.com/25ejpk

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:49 pm

Here's the latest from Neil:

"OK guys, this is the 72hr notice for Sunday at 9am in Jupiter. So far the forcast has not settled or become consistant yet. At this time this is what it is saying:
NOAA East at 20
Windguru East at 15-20
Wetsands East at 12-18
Remember we need a minimum of 15 knots, not 15 dropping to 11 but 15 with higher gusts.
Keep your eyes on your e-mails for updates I will be posting start sequences, rules and so on.
Also remember You must have paid the entrance fee and signed the waiver By Saturday evening to be included in the race.
Updates coming soon. Cheers Neil"

Fingers crossed, hope the wind comes as predicted!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:16 pm

The latest sign up list from Neil"

"Riders list so far:
1. Stacy Fonas
2. Matt Sexton
3. Julia Kim
4. Jayson Orkins
5. Juan Garces
6. Chris Summers
7. David Albertson
8. Packet Casey
9. Eric Naranjo
10. Sean Reyngoudt
11. Mike Bradley
12. Chris Jordan
13. Raul Argilagos
14. Joseph
15. Kent Marinkovic
16. Steve Visnage
17. Will Caldwell
18. Sean Spenser
19. John Rudd
20. Rick Iossi
21. Chad Anschuetz
22. Tammy Camp
23. Paul Sheetz
24. Danny Albertson
25. Justice Bentz
26. Grace Marcel
27. Demian Thomas
28. Mark Barber
29. Chase Kosterlitz
30. Gregory Dannemann
31. Craig Priddy
32. Perry Ricciardi
33. Gary Menk
34. Enrique Gianello
35. Daniel Floyd
36. Jan Gianello
37. Gabe Rodriguez
38. Bill Bentz
39. Brandon Pelly
40.Alex Bloechinger
41. Brian Walters
42. Tommy Byrne
43. Alex Cipullo
44. Jonathan Arline
45. Jay Warren
46. Jeremy Green
47. Inigo Gonzalez
48. John Hooper
49. Burt Van Schalkwyk
50. David Teichman
51. Matthew Steiner
52. Chris Cifers
53. Brien Mastriana
54. Kevin Kearney
55. Evan Bell
56. Chris Hentschl
57. Damien Leroy
58. Jordan Borgese
59. David Katlic
60. Aron Ericson
61. A J Morgan
62. Tripp Hobbs
63. Todd Bagge
64. Tracey Krueger
65. Jamie Levesque
66. Shawn Cole

Still know there is more to come. Cheers Neil"

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:23 pm

This is the latest from Neil:

(48 Hr. Update)

"Hi all,

This is the new update. Right now the direction of wind looks perfect but just not totally sure on the strength, all models are indicating that the wind in the southern part of the race looks good but the big question is will it be strong enough closer to Jupiter to make this work for us. It would suck to have a 100 people trying to ride down wind on their biggest kite at 12mph having to sign it most of the way with the chance of it dropping 2 more knots and sinking.

Having said that I am still positive that it will be a go on Sunday but I only give it a 60% chance right now. We will have many other opportunities to come if need be.

Take a look below and you will see what I am seeing and the deference of wind between Fort Laud and Jupiter. If anyone has seen different please post on the fksa.org site.

Final call for Sunday will go out tomorrow am, and wind or no wind the opening party will happen tomorrow night at Evolve. Fingers crossed, Cheers Neil.

FORT LAUDERDALE
SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20
KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO
6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE
OF SHOWERS.

JUPITER
SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

SUNDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS."

http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/wind_florida63.htm

http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/swell ... ?CatId=298

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/latest ... anim.3.gif

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:16 pm

If the weather to the north doesn't come, there is a Plan B ...

[quote=kent]I just got off the phone with Neil. He is obviously very excited to get the Jup to Ft. L race off on Sunday. The forecast is bouncing around a bit in the northern area, but is staying consistent in the south portion.

As you know, he wil be making the final call for Jup to Ft. L tomorrow a.m. Indications are still looking good, but you never know. Given that the Sunday conditions look very good for Ft. L to Miami, if the JUP event does not go off as expected, Neil agreed that we can have the same type of start off Ft.L and race to Matheson in Miami. This would be a great opportunity for a tune up and pratice start. I know that tons of people are heading over for the Evolve party no matter what. If the JUP event does not go off, Neil suggested a start at Tiki Beach at 12 Sunday. This would allow you drinkers to party a bit longer at Evolve and still race!

If JUP to FTL doesn't go, this FTL to MIA would be totally unofficial and FREE! We would however need to abide by some rules to avoid having problems with life guards, etc. Each rider would absolutley have to stay out of the swim bouys. It is ok to ride near the beach in areas with no stands or buoys, but WITH OUT EXCPETION, no riding inside the buoys!!! As this is unofficial, you will not be kicked out, but BEATEN with in an inch of your miserable life.

The start would be as per the Jup proceedures and the finish would be between at matheson between the wreck and a mast with a large white flag flying from it. The flag would be 15 ft. south of the wreck. We can have times taken and keep track of unoffical results.

As a saftey precaution riders would be required to pick a "buddy". Ideally it is best if "buddy's" are of about the same speed. If your buddy doesn't finish... your buddy is missing!

So... stay posted for Neils updates, i understand that he will make the call tomorrow a.m. In any case, drive over anyway as there will be a race to somewhere.... the FTL to Matheson is a great run that takes you through Stilltsville. It is also very challenging as after cape florida you would be going dead down wind and likely riding on a different tack. it woudl be best to look at google earth for an indication of the track.

Kent[/quote]

If this is of interest, there is important related information on fksa.org dealing with this such as critical landmarks to pick out roughly five miles away across Biscayne Bay.

Return to “Kitesurfing”