Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foldable board? Easy to carry when travelling or on a bike..

Forum for kitesurfers
sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nice board

Postby sprockett » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:44 am

That bali board with the union jack looks prety flash... :thumb:
What size is it and how much did it cost you. I am looking at getting one.
is it easy to assemble?

overboard
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby overboard » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:57 am

The size of my Baliwind board with the Union Jack is 130x39. The board is a custom so you specify what size you require. For me I wanted an all round board so decided that these measurements would be good for a 75kg rider. I only take one kite on my long distance travels, a Flysurfer Speed 2 10m and with this board it covers me for most conditions where life is interesting.

Assembly of the board takes only a minute as I slot in the carbon beam to connect the two halves and screw on the handle with a stainless steel bracing strip underneath to lock the two halves together. Most of the time is taken screwing in the two screws. Today I took the board apart and put it in my suitcase as I am off to Oz later this week and the wind has died at Raglan. It is certainly one of the best buys I have made for travelling and the board is that good that I will probably use it as an everyday board.

In respect to cost you will have to contact the Baliwind guys and give them a specification of whet you want and they will then give you a price. As it is custom everyone is likely to be different in respect to size, flex and paint job. They speak excellent english, their website now has an english version and contains an email address as well as telephone numbers.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

A Foldable board solves many issues

Postby Europ2 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:43 pm

2. The engineering of the join in a travel board like the Baliwind board call for very close tolerences if the join is to be solid and I cannot see any manufacturer spending the money on tooling to achieve this standard in mass production.
4. Riders of different weights and experience require different size boards to get the best out of an all round board so they would require a range of boards whereas the custom builder like Baliwind can tailor the board to the customers requirements, including the flex of the board.
The vent de folie board seems to bring the solution to the tolerence problem: the bottom part is totally foldable, no obstacle to mass production.
To adapt to wind and spot conditions, several folding bottoms can adapt to one top.
An uncertainty still, the weight.
Board mounting: http://perso.orange.fr/kitesurf-ventdef ... _board.wmv
Board unmounting: http://perso.orange.fr/kitesurf-ventdef ... _board.wmv[/img]

Europ2
Frequent Poster

1st mass produced foldable available in 3 weeks

Postby Europ2 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 pm

This is a free translation of an article I've just found on flysurf.com, dated 24th january 2007:

The mass produced travel board now called the "No mad" will be available during the "Mondial du Vent 2007" of Leucate France (5th to 11th april07 ). As a start they will be available only in one size: 130/38cm, 3.2kg equiped, that fits into a standard 80cm travel bag.
Recommended Retail Price : 749€ equiped.
Other bottoms are yet to come: one 160cm directional, one 150cm Mutant, a 145/150 for light wind conditions or beginer.
All under the same deck and still foldable in an 80cm bag !
[This means that for your trip you can carry the same deck for both the TT and the directional bottom]
Available at "Vent de Folie" shop in Marseille FRANCE, and soon in other shops (list to come).
http://www.kitesurf-ventdefolie.fr/

The quality should be top notch. These boards will be produced by Blacksmith Snowboards close to Grenoble, French Alps France. This manufacturer works for both the snowboard and the kitesurf industry. They produced the wipika Edge a few years ago.
http://www.adf-boards.com/default.php?language=us, http://www.blacksmith-snowboard.com/

To contact the designer: richard@kitesurf-ventdefolie.fr, or +33 6 08 43 05 05 from abroad, 06 08 43 05 05 from France.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:57 pm

This travel board concept is not going to be good for "Golf" bag sales :lol:... but it seems like a great idea. I wonder if a larger thicker directional would also be possible to engineer ? and possibly in a quad ? etc etc

Unfortunately, the concept of the same deck with different bottoms and the process for use is a bit hard to completely visualize (because the pictures on the web site do not systematically illustrate the decks and the bottoms and how they assemble disassemble etc).

jzkbnm
Rare Poster

Postby jzkbnm » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Guys,
that's the solution: 8)

http://www.newind.net/scomponibile.php

I know that it works very well becouse I've got it.
You can't feel the difference from a regular carbon board.
Very very flexible expecially on the tips (even too much).
12 days in brazil without any problem.
Full carbon+airex with titan connectors.
In Italy they produced already many of this boards.

It is from an Italian Company.
Only problem, very expencive +50% vs regular

That's another one.
I've got the regular "balsa wood" board since 2006, but I did't try the foldable one.

http://www.laolakiteboards.it/

Ciao

Europ2
Frequent Poster

The No Mad Travel Board concept

Postby Europ2 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:30 pm

To start with, I do not have any commercial interest in the No Mad business, I am just a real fan of this simple idea that assembles a piece of board over 2 half boards with 4 standard screws + 4 knobs (no screw driver needed) reusing the existing handle screw holes. The outside screws are separate from the footstraps ones.
liv2surf wrote:This travel board concept is not going to be good for "Golf" bag sales :lol:...
Furthermore, what I do not like in the golf bag concept is a huge 150$ bag that is used only once a year as I am not a golf player :( Not suited for the boots of ordinary cars (no 4 Wheel drives), not satisfactory when transporting the family..
I wonder if a larger thicker directional would also be possible to engineer ?
A board longer than 160 cm would mean one of the bottom parts being longer than 80cm. It would not be reasonable to cut the bottom in more than 2 pieces as the overlapping areas would not be strong enough to cope with the torque after a jump. 2 screws per half.
For the directional, there is a tradeoff between the 80cm max length of the deck, its central position over the 2 sides of the directional (see last photograph below), the re-use of a maximum of existing screws (just my 2cents). Thicker or wider to provide more volume ?Why not ?
and possibly in a quad ?
What do you mean exactly ?
Unfortunately, the concept of the same deck with different bottoms and the process for use is a bit hard to completely visualize (because the pictures on the web site do not systematically illustrate the decks and the bottoms and how they assemble disassemble etc)
Taken from the following link;
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2341593&highlight=folie
I hope this helps

Return to “Kitesurfing”