tysonm
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

summer adventures

Postby tysonm » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:50 pm

hey y'all-

i spent 3 months last summer living in Cabarete, and absolutely loved that place. everyone was friendly, great nightlife, steady wind, and a i made a ton of great friends. i was on my own the whole time and had a phenomenal time.

i want to do it again, but i need to travel somewhere new. i'm thinking about spain (tarifa?) but really am open to anywhere in the world. i want somewhere reasonably priced (cab was really cheap and awesome because of it) with a young crowd (im 22), nightlife, and of course steady wind. preferably spanish/english speaking because i know only those and would really like to improve my spanish.

anyone had any experiences with doing something like this in spain? how was it? and is tarifa the only major place where kiters accumulate?

any help/suggestions/comments/requests to join me/whatever are appreciated!

thanks
tyson

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: summer adventures

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 am

Tarifa should be fun for you.

Other possibilities, other languages: Mauritius, Brazil

Maybe also Mexico, not sure about wind during summer though.

shastadogs2
Medium Poster

Postby shastadogs2 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 am

columbia river gorge?

Flurina
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Unfortunately, no beach in Switzerland. I'm learner...
Favorite Beaches: I went to Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: -
Gear: -

Postby Flurina » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi there, sorry I cant' answer your questions, cause I just started kitesurfing. What you wrote about cabarete seems really appealing to me. I'd like to improve my kite skills and I'd like to go somewhere easy for learners. How is cabarete for learners? and How is the wind in August or September, do u know?

Probably I on my own, so i want to go somewhere easy to meet people, not just couples:-)

Is the live expensive there?

Thanks for your comments
Flurina (Switzerland)

tysonm
Rare Poster

Postby tysonm » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:17 pm

flurina-

cabarete is amazing. its pretty solid for beginners, as there are many places that offer both lessons and rental gear. the wind is the BEST in midsummer (july) but still good in august. i think it starts to lighten in september. one thing to consider once it does start to lighten is surfing at Encuentro beach which is just outside of cabarete -- surf is best early AM. or find Stephane or Cedric at KiteExcite and talk to them about ParaGliding lessons. i tried to do this but couldnt just because it was always too windy :D

i was there for 3 months completely on my own, its definitely not all couples. there's a very active and crazy nightlife, and its super easy to meet people on the beach. living can be expensive or cheap, depending on the lifestyle you want to have. if you stay in a classy hotel and eat out every night, it can be expensive. but, if you get a cheap apartment and eat dominican food, then it can be very reasonable. one thing to note is if you can, don't bring any (or very many) valuables with you. only a laptop and stuff like that if you really have to, theft can be bad down there. make sure you don't flaunt anything you have.

otherwise, it was the greatest 3 month trip i've ever done. you'll love it
tyson

extremecabarete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, CABARETE
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: kite surfing
Brand Affiliation: Caution! Liquid Force

Postby extremecabarete » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Tarifa is amazing as well. it's not as friendly as cabarete, but the scenery is breathtaking, and the wind is cranking.

the view just as you come around the mountains and see the never ending beach full of hundreds of kites is a view like no other. having morocco in the back drop, andalucia on the other side and the huge beach is unforgettable.

be sure to book well in advance, it's about 4 times the cost of living in cabarete

tysonm
Rare Poster

Postby tysonm » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 am

yeah, tarifa is looking too expensive. anyone ever spend a summer in brazil? where's the best places to go for a younger crowd, wind, cheap, and a good place to stay for a few months? any suggestions anyone??

Return to “Travel”