Gear: CABRINHA X-BOW 3 12M
NOBILE 666
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

cabrinha xbow3 vc convert

Postby dankron » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 pm

hi everyone,

i'm looking to upgrade my xbow 2 to a new kite. And i was wondering what should i do?

I've tried the switchblade 3 and felt the bar too light, as i'm used to my xbow 2 bar pressure and i like it, i didn't like the SB3. It felt pretty weird.

So i'm thinking ether a xbow3 or a convert, but i can't find any reviews on a convert neither a comparison between the 2.

Is the convert a totally beginner kite as some said or i'll still have lots of fun with it? Is the new xbow3 has a massive increase on bar pressure comparing to xbow2? or is just a small and almost unnoticeable increase?

how is the bar pressure comparison between the 2? I know the convert you can ride 1:1 and that removes the bar pressure but on 2:1 setup how is it?

Sorry i know there is a lot of questions, but i can't find any good reviews on the convert so i can compare it... please help me...

cheers,
dan

Tarnman
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: El Gouna, Tarifa
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Xbow08, Custom 08

Re: cabrinha xbow3 vc convert

Postby Tarnman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:30 am

Hi,

I have two xbow 08. The Bar pressure is very high and moneuvering onehanded is quite a pain to my wrists. I also got to check the convert, it is produced a bit cheaper and has far less power. unfortunedly i have never tested the Xbow 2 so i cant really compare. all i can say is, that barpressure is higher than on the SB1.

If i could go for an other cabrinha, i would definitly buy a revolver. it has a little less power than the new xbow 3, but turns faster and has less steeringpowers.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:14 am

From what I have read, the Convert is not just a beginner kite but a kite which can be used at all levels. My understanding of this kite is that it is so easy to fly that it makes it ideal for beginners to use, while on the flip side makes it an easy high performance riding machine for advanced riders. Just recently I say a review from Damion Leroy (pro rider) who really praised the 7m Convert for his big powered unhooked moves.
The Converts are not fully released to the market as far as I can tell so this is why it is difficult to find a review.
The bar pressure on the Xbow 2 and 3 are very close.. so I have been told. The bar pressure on the Convert is meant to be a fraction more than the xbow3 on the 2:1 setting, however the difference is immaterial.
The Revolver in the 2:1 has a similar bar pressure as the others in 2:1. It turns fast which is great but I dont think it will water relaunch or have the same low end power as the xbow (and Convert ..i think).
The new 2008 Cabrinhas appear to be built much tougher which is really good to see. The new colours are also pretty sweet.
Question though... why are you wanting to upgrade your xbow2...?? What size are you currently riding? What sort of riding do you do.. ie freeride, wakestyle, unhooked, waves?

If you like the Xbows for their awesome stability, and wind range , I would go for the Xbow3 over the Convert.

dankron
Rare Poster
Gear: CABRINHA X-BOW 3 12M
NOBILE 666

Postby dankron » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:38 am

Thanks IWB2,

I'm not riding a 12m xbow2, i'm more like a freerider than anything else, still learning the waves, but i enjoy my flat water and some jumps.

I love my xbow2, the only reason i want to go for an upgrade is financial reasons... now i can still trade in my xbow2 for a reasonable value and get a new kite, but if i wait one more season, i'll be loosing a bit of money [around 50% of the current value], than what happen is, i won't be able to afford a new kite. That is the main reason why i'm looking for an upgrade.

unfortunately our sport is quite expensive :cry: You probably know what i mean... I'd love to have the money to be able to upgrade every year without hesitations, but i don't have this luxury...

i know the best way for me would be trying both kites and see which one i like best, but here on the gold coast [AUS], i can't see many people with xbows, everyone is riding SBs, it's crazy, i think i've only seen one or 2 xbow3 here all the other ones ar SB, so its quite hard for me to get my hands on to one... i'm not even going to comment on Convert, only seen them on the shop.

Again, my problem is financial, i know you said:

"If you like the Xbows for their awesome stability, and wind range , I would go for the Xbow3 over the Convert."

but again my dilemma is financial and the Convert is a lot cheaper than the xbow, that's why i'm trying to find out, if they are similar kites or one is a lot better than the other, i don't mind paying the extra money for a xbow3, if i knew the kite is a lot better for me and my riding style, not saying the the convert is not a bad kite, but could be good for a different style...

but anyway thanks for your help!

cheers,
dan

Return to “Reviews”