how to adjust RRD type 9

Forum for kitesurfers
rscaife
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how to adjust RRD type 9

Postby rscaife » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Can anyone give me advice how to properly rig a Type 9 RRD? I have a 12m Type 9 and the bar pressure is excessive. The steering is also too imprecise/sloppy when sheeted-out/depowered.
Any help would be much appreciated.
jscaife@westnet.com.au

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: how to adjust RRD type 9

Postby j1finnn1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:02 am

the bars we got were set up with the back lines too tight, so the kites were oversheeted out of the bag. I would let the flying lines all the way out, and pull the front lines in one Knot. Bear in mind I haven't seen the kite, so I can't be sure, but it's a place to start. You'll notice better depower too.

For my kites, this gives you a tiny bit of oversheet, which I like for certain occasions, and plenty of depower, especially with the long depower strap.

There is some bar pressure on the kite (turning Pressure), but not significant by any stretch. Unless you're used to a kite like the first GK sonic, then it may feel like alot. Sheeting pressure should be pretty light. Which one are you having?

Of course this won't help with the feeling that the kite's imprecise when sheeted out, but I personally don't find it to be very bad.

Bowman
Medium Poster

Postby Bowman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:57 pm

j1finnn1 wrote:the bars we got were set up with the back lines too tight, so the kites were oversheeted out of the bag. I would let the flying lines all the way out, and pull the front lines in one Knot. Bear in mind I haven't seen the kite, so I can't be sure, but it's a place to start. You'll notice better depower too.

For my kites, this gives you a tiny bit of oversheet, which I like for certain occasions, and plenty of depower, especially with the long depower strap.

There is some bar pressure on the kite (turning Pressure), but not significant by any stretch. Unless you're used to a kite like the first GK sonic, then it may feel like alot. Sheeting pressure should be pretty light. Which one are you having?

Of course this won't help with the feeling that the kite's imprecise when sheeted out, but I personally don't find it to be very bad.
I absolutly agree with this ( and I have had sonic 06 and trix 07). First thing you have to do is to shorten the front lines by 1 or 2 knots (the bar comes out of the bag on the first knot). I would even say that on the T9 7 m2, which come out of the bag with a v-line and pulley on the tips, I had to add a 15 -20 cm pigtail (on the back lines) with several knots giving me the opportunity to play with the lenght of the rear line depending on wind strenght.

@ j1finnn1, I want to try to add on my T9 9m2 and 12 m2 a v-line on the tips (without pulley). My idea is to give more rigidity to the kite when you pull hard on the bar to avoid the leading hedge to fold (which is a bad tendancy that the T9 has). Make sense :roll: ?

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:13 pm

I know what you're trying to do, but am not 100% sure that will solve the problem. Before you do that, have you made sure that the back lines are let all the way out? The kite could still be oversheeting, and in my mind, that's the real issue. Not having seen the kite set up and your flying style, I'd like to make sure that's been addressed before trying something off the beaten path. We haven't played with the double connection on the bigger kites yet, having too much fun with them as is..

Then again, I also haven't seen one fold yet, either. All of the guys in cali have worked together to come up with what we think is the best tuning. I pump mine up pretty hard, so that it sounds like pinging a basket ball, and I'd like to reiterate that for us, the best setup is Front lines set to the middle knot, back lines let all the way out. How to access the back lines for tuning:
1) Using the Oh Sh*t handle, Pull a couple of feet of back line through the ring.
2) Grab the bar float, and pull it over the ring so that the flying line connections are exposed.
3) Move the back lines at the knot farthest from the bar.
4) Put it all back together and go rip.

Bowman, You may know or have done all this already, but I want to use this thread to communicate with everybody. Shoot me a PM if you have this setup and still are getting the leading edge to fold. Once again, I haven't seen this or heard about it from the Cali riders, so I'd like to hear how your kite is set up.

-Cheers, Jeff

J-GAR
Medium Poster

Postby J-GAR » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm

The Type 9 kites fly great out of the bag, no bridle adjustments needed, just adjust the bar/lines setup as previously mentioned. I don't think the rear v-pulley setup like on the 7m is necessary for the 9 or 12m. I initially had the wingtip bending issue on my 12m Type 9. I haven't experienced it on the other sizes (7, 9, and 15m). I quickly fixed it though by pumping up the kite harder to around 5.5 to 6 psi and shortening the front lines by 1-2 knots. You can also lengthen the back lines if you like your full power with bar close to chicken loop. For me the wing tip folding was due to the kite not having enough pressure and oversheeting with stock bar setup. Haven't had it happen again in over 15 sessions and the kite flies great.

Bowman
Medium Poster

Postby Bowman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi guys,

I have tried about all settings with different knots on front and back lines. I found that the kite has a great low range and this folding issue happens in the high range and only when you pull hard (in a jump for example). I pump the kite at 6 psi. But I have noticed that I did not have this folding issue with the 7m2 which has the v-line (even in 40+knts). So that's why I wanted to try the v-line on the bigger size. Plus I remember a post on this forum where somebody has tried the v line on bigger size. It could be interesting to know how to fix it.

But no time for now because I'm in the middle of the ski season and we have great snow conditions in my country :lol: But it's still interesting to have other opinions to be ready when warmer days will come.... :thumb:

BTW I asked the question about the 2 attachments points in podcast nr 92. You have Roberto Ricci's answer on minutes 42. He mainly says it is an option to improve the depowerability of the kite...

Good winds

Nic

campers
Rare Poster

Postby campers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:46 am

I've got a 7m and 9m Type 9. I found with the 9m i needed to add some extentions to the back lines. About 5-10cm is plenty. With the setup out of the bag it was oversheeted too much. You don't notice it at first because the Type 9's are good at not stalling and falling out of the sky, but when I was powered up I didn't have much depower. The 7m seem fine with the stock setup, the front line adjustments are enough to get some more depower when its windy.

Bowman
Medium Poster

Postby Bowman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:19 am

Bowman wrote:. I pump the kite at 6 psi.
After checking the graduation on my pump I see I pumped more at around 5 to 5.5 PSI. So as J-GAR said , with more pressure in the kite it could be better. :thumb:

Cheers,

Nic

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Cheers, Bowman!
Honestly, I never go with pump gauges anymore. They get out of tune so quickly that they're unreliable. I just pump it until it's firm and doesn't fold, and memorize the pitch the main tube makes when I flick it with my finger. I'm glad you noticed that, I was really surprised it was behaving the way it was.
Also, did you play with the back line settings on your kite? Where are they set now?

-Jeff

jpont2000
Medium Poster

Postby jpont2000 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Hey Nic,

Those t9s rip don't they!? I actually think it's also a leading edge problem and the 12 doesn't have it, only the 9. Yes I confirm the problem happens sheeting in in very tough (overpowered) conditions.

a+

José

ps Nice avatar ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”