Favorite Beaches: The ho!
Style: free ride/style
Gear: 2009 torches and 132 thorn fc
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

1st aerial handlepasses

Postby smoore » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:23 pm

im at the stage in kiting when i can ride pretty good and im learnin my first handlepasses , i can easily land raileys an s-bends and im learning to land blind and do flats, any advice on which aerial passes to try first?
on a bar hung up in my garage i can land KBGs , slims, 313s and danglepasses but its obviously harder on the water so any advice? should i just go for it?

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Re: 1st aerial handlepasses

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:47 pm

There are alot of threads on certain moves you can check out (ie if you search back mobe, 313 or danglepass)

Regarding your question, doing aerial handlepasses is alot of technique so its all about repetition and practise (keep in mind you have to be repeating the right thing haha) Its much more about technique than strength. You have to use your momentum rather than brute force. Most peoples first handlepass is the danglepass, basically what you want to do is boost a high jump and when you get to the apex of it get as inverted as possible (looking straight back helps alot). Once you're inverted don't just let go of one of your hands and try to pass it, pull the bar with both hands to you hip to start the rotation and once you feel that you can pass it just do it. Its all about feel. Now keep in mind that the first few times you try it, you probably won't get it so you'll probably end up with one hand on the bar and your kite with loop but just hold on to it because it will be more so above you and wont pull that much. I'll try to post some videos that might help

smoore
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Westward Ho!!!!

Postby smoore » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 pm

k cheer, il go for some dangles next session... also any1 know a better way to put up a bar in a house or outside? at the moment mines in my garage which has a solid metal (dangerous to land on ) windsurf trailer in and only about 3 square feet of room with a concrete floor. i dont have any trees in garden either so is there like a frame or something easy to build to use in a garden to hang bar up?
any suggestions on that aswell would b great,
cheers, smoore

besttaste
Frequent Poster
Style: pull power foreward

Postby besttaste » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Remember not to jump when you practise on a stative bar! Hang in the bar, begin with hanging with elbows bend and make the rotation and later hang with arms streched and make the movement. One can use an old board, harness etc. to make it more realistic.

I am now practising the dangling pass on a bar for more than 6 months and it has helped me a lot to later practise them on water!

I have about 10 dangling passes behind me on water and this year, around 65 days of massive days:-) each year, I want to get confident in making the dangling passes and what comes next!

But, YES the pass on water in more technique than strength!!! :wink:

Keep on trying!!!

INOKI
Frequent Poster

Postby INOKI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:53 pm

I agree with you besttaste, especially the workout to the static bar.... "begin with hanging with elbows bend and make the rotation and later hang with arms streched and make the movement"

It helps a lot, i was trying for 20 days this summer, and I close the movement in any position, but in the water is quite different.
I know, after many attempts, that the start of the jump is the most important thing, more you pop with the board, more you get vertical high, more upthrowing your legs is easy. If your pop isn't grim, you'll do a long and low jump and the rest of movement will be very hard.
The second thing to do is to put your head as down as possible, (see the surface of the sea back), balancing your legs vertical overhead, then start the bar pass...

Now I'm trying more and more, my difficulty is to grab firmly the bar with the other hand, so I keep on taking the bar with one hand, landing, while kite is looping.... :angryfire:

I Hope being helpfull. :bye:

kangaroo
Rare Poster

Postby kangaroo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 pm

i read and watch with great interest all things related with dangle passes

heres my experience to date

i have never rigged any bar on land nor had any other means of practice other than learning to pass the bar on the beach (standing on sand!) then taking it onto the water and learnt quickly surface handle passes - i land vast majority of surface passes from f16s / loops so time was called to learn the dangle.......

i have tried many many and only yesterday have i learnt the "feeling" of weightless ness - my leg swing can be more exaggerated on take off but most of all i learnt watching video of my attempts that TIMING and feel were wrong - i take off swing legs back and up but as soon as i tuck to invert im fighting the bar simply because im going to early and not at the zenith at the point of weghtlessness....... :roll:

what have i learnt after 1000s of free falls

set up a rig on land - im too old for throwing myself on land!

first jump ensuring good take off to encourage the leg swing to give momentum

then simply jump and learn the feel at the top of the jump

and then i guess tuck explosively throw shoulders back pull to hip and pass........

at least i have the move dialled in my head but i think im taking so long for 2 reasons

1. i didnt have any muscle memory from using a land rig

2. im old and shit :thumb:

p.s. i find my better attempts happen on my smaller kites as ive managed to grab my knot on leash which is only about 60 cm from bar :roll:

.......ive tried the move standing in waist deep water unhooking then inverting where the water gives you a bit of help but that has given me the feel of pulling the bar in as i throw back shoulders and i manage to pass the bar every time but i do get some odd looks from people when im practising this drill :thumb:

its all good fun but im frustrated!!!

Pumpless
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lola Johnson, Packery Channel, JP Luby Park
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere warm and windy
Gear: Flysurfer Kites, Zero Gravity Boards
Brand Affiliation: Atomickiteboarding.com, Flysurfer-USA, Zero Gravity Kiteboards

Postby Pumpless » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:52 am

Be sure you have streached your shoulders before you do any work on a bar on land or the water. My right shoulder is not in the best shape from the first missed dangle passes I did months ago. Just My opion but backmobes arnt too much harder and you're not hanging from the kite if you miss it. Hanging from high missed dangle passes is what hurt my shoulder!

besttaste
Frequent Poster
Style: pull power foreward

Postby besttaste » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Muscle memory and technique is everything!!!

No matter how old you are, you should practise on land before trying it on water!!! (my opinion) One never gets too old, just too lazy :wink:

You will have less chances of injurying youself!

Because of the trianing on land, it has been posible for me to try a dangle pass, not pass the bar, hang on with one hand, get back to the landing position, land and ride away.

I have had best attempts on my Torch 10m2 from 2006 and 2007. I believe, the 8m2 is too fast, even when I have it on slow steering setup, and the wind is usually nucking when I use my 8m2. A 14m2 is very good too, but usually I get powered up with my Torch 14m2 and then I use too much force to pull myself up to the bar.

It is an advantage to be a bit underpowered when trying handlepass tricks until one gets confident!

It is normal that the kite loops, if you hold the bar with one hand only. With time, one will get so good that it is posible to grab the bar with 2 hands after the pass before landing.

YES, head down and dick up in the air! That's what I was told, too :)

PRACTISE, PRACTISE & PRACTISE!

PS: I also tend to stand on the beach or in waist deep water and practise the pass when the wind is very low...not possible to ride. It gives muscle memory, technique and strength; try to hold the bar with one hand (in the middle of the bar), get the bar close to your hip and pass it. That's very effective from my point of view.

smoore
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Westward Ho!!!!

Postby smoore » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:26 pm

cheers for the replys guys... cant get out for the next couple of weeks tho cus i got grounded :angryfire: so looks like its back to the hanging bar, problem is, yes, you can hurt your shoulder and i did it a while back so dunno..
cheers, smoore

smpl
Medium Poster

Postby smpl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm with what everyone has said before me: practice on land first!

I've got the dangle pass dialed under a tree. So I've tried a few times on the water and have come so close - I've touched the bar with the hand I let go with when the bar is behind me, but then don't commit.

Will report back when I get it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”