Forum for kitesurfers
Waldo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what are the weak points of the Rev?

Postby Waldo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:40 pm

I hear some many good things about the Rev I wonder what are the weak points? My main concern: why don't they put plastic on the depower rope? Is it easy to do this yourself? Any other cons? Only good in smaller sizes?
Walter

PGH
Frequent Poster

Re: what are the weak points of the Rev?

Postby PGH » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:56 pm

yeah theres a weak point of the rev......it won't fly in zero wind...!! :roll: :roll:

Just got my 15m rev to replace a 15m fuel and haven't had the wind to try it yet ..hopefully on tuesday.
As to depower rope: yes it'll wear but wash and wax it regularly and it'll last for much longer than other brands i've had.
My 07 bar ropes havelasted just under 12 months without major wear but i have now changed both as a matter of course. (maintenance) easy to do too with a screwdriver.
Have just had both bars renewed on warranty due to the metal insert wearing which is fantastic of slingshot....other brands should take note.
Anyway the rev looks great, big beefy front lines and nice compact bridle. seems to have the slingshot build quality.
looking forward quite nervously to see how the rev's safety and relaunch system goes as i do love the 5th line
The 15 is the bench mark for me as if its a fast kite to fly and performs well i may well go for a 11 rev as well....but at the mo' the rev has to live up to the fuels performance so for now i'm keeping my 11-9-7 07 fuels..

Waldo
Medium Poster

Postby Waldo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:02 pm

let me know, scillyairhead

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards

Postby blancoh2o » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:53 pm

The weak point is the guy/gal hooked to the chicken loop.

Seriously, the kite is way faster than most. It will take you a little while to get the timing down. Once you do, you will absolutley love the Rev.

The Rev does have limits like any other kite. Don't expect it to fly in no wind and it doesn't have a 30mph wind range either. If it sounds too good to be true, it is......There is no BS with the Rev.

:thumb:

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 am

I'm still riding fuels and octanes. Demoed the 11 rev the other day, had a couple of rides on it now, what a great kite. The only SLE/Bow I 've ever ridden that I can limit the bar throw way down to what I like and the rev will edge foward in the gusts just like a good C kite does.

The rev flys fast across the window and is very responsive to bar input, it is awesome.

The only thing some people might find is at low speed the rev hasn't got the grunt of some kites, it is a kite that likes to be ridden fast, but hey thats what I like about it, the fact that at speed the rev stays forward in the window allowing a very fast board riding speed. :thumb:

Sloberdog
Medium Poster

Postby Sloberdog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 am

I demoed the new REV 11 or 13 at La Ventana. The kite itself was great! Smooth, powerful (great low end), fun kite loops, great boost and hang-time. I did not like the chickenloop depower clam-cleat. It was very hard to depower when powered, so what good is that? lol. Also, when I inspected the bridal pulleys on one side, they were all stuck :nono: , but since it was a new kite, I took it out anyways.

I have had one bridal line break due to a pulley being stuck and almost had another on this trip! Warning: All kites with bridals and pulleys should be checked for wear, tears, and stuck pulleys.

Good luck!

JFB
Frequent Poster

Postby JFB » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:30 pm

I demoed the Rev 13 head to head with the Helix 12 in very high winds, I was over powered and the negative thing is that the Rev's high end was not as good as the helix's, but conditions were really marginal.. and 13 compared to 12....

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:14 pm

The Rev has been a great kite for Slingshot and there have been very little issue's with it. Since I'm the Rider Hotline contact, i am basically the first one to field questions or concerns about our products.

Other then depower ropes wearing, pulleys sticking and riders opinions about the chicken loop this kite has been spot on in terms of performance, easy of use, durability, relanchability, safety, simplicity, power, speed, construction, materials used, bar innovations and being the best overall kite package for 2008!

Once you get a chance to demo a REV the kite speaks for itself! :naughty:
Attachments
e.jpg
e.jpg (94.44 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Rev.jpg
Rev.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 3650 times

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:32 pm

JFB wrote:I demoed the Rev 13 head to head with the Helix 12 in very high winds, I was over powered and the negative thing is that the Rev's high end was not as good as the helix's, but conditions were really marginal.. and 13 compared to 12....
I found the opposite, when I demoed the 11 rev I also demoed the 9 helix back to back and the rev had more top end. I found the helix sits back in the window more and pulled down wind more, the 11 rev also turned faster than the 9 helix so its all interesting isn't it 8)

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:37 am

The sick thing about the REV is that it does not sit back as far as some of the hybrids out there on the market. This makes it feel much more like a C-kite; which can be ridden un-hooked with out the overpowered nasty feeling you would get with most bows and hybrids.

ATK "All Terrian Kite" Surf, wake, freestlye,freeride, and pure riding simplicity!

Return to “Kitesurfing”