Forum for kitesurfers
littlekitegirl
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wind conditions on Oahu

Postby littlekitegirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm off to Oahu for starting Saturday for a week... I'll be staying on the North Shore but will have a car.

I know conditions aren't the best this time of year but I'm hoping to get a day or two in. Does anybody know of a good website that has current conditions listed for the different spots on Oahu? I've checked out all the regulars (like windfinder). I'd really like a summary of what direction of wind I should be looking for at the main spots (like Kailua)... As I'm only there for a week, I don't want to spend the whole time chasing wind, and would like a good idea if its going to be windy before I drive across the Island!

I'm an advanced kiter, but have limited wave experience (ie, nothing over 6 feet) - so won't kite on the North Shore if it gets too big...

Any suggestions? or any local shops (or people) friendly enough to answer them for me?

Thanks!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wind conditions on Oahu

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:35 pm

The wind SUCKS!!!!!!!!
find it at http://www.ikitesurf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=20449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for the waves it is time to man up ;-) so to speak kidding...be careful though if you go on the North Shore..those waves are not like many other waves..they cannot size by size be compared to most waves other places on the island or many other places for that matter.

http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apart from that it is a good time to come here... :-) Nice warm sunny, good temp in the water...but alas no wind in sight.....

a

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Postby gotwind » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:48 pm

when r the trades suppose to come back? I havnt kited in like a 2 weeks. Its lame.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 pm

trades are no where in sight...it's been pretty good on maui last week...if I just had time for a day there.... :-(

a.

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Postby gotwind » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:59 pm

tautologies wrote:it's been pretty good on maui last week...if I just had time for a day there....
I hear ya

EGORR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hukilau
Favorite Beaches: Hukilau
Style: Twintip
Gear: gk sonic

Postby EGORR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:28 am

The trades are GONE. It looks like Sunday you MAY have a chance in the afternoon on the ewa side. . .www.ikitesurf.com is the best site for local wind meters. There is a decent launch at ewa beach park at the end of Fort Weaver Road.

Check Google map at ewa beach park

The forecast is still several days out and is likely to change by then. Good Luckhttp://www.kiteforum.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=2345949#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumb:

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster

Postby littlekitegirl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:19 am

Thanks for the tips... doesn't sound like there's much chance of Kailua going off then? If the waves are even remotely large - I probably won't even try to kite on the North Shore.

any other advice still appreciated!

L

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:12 am

one good thing is that it looks like there will be a little bump on the south shore this weekend...that is always welcome, so if nothing else go surfing :-) Actually it is almost as much fun as kiting..okay well..hmm, they are same same but different....

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”