Gear: rev 2008 9m
best 2007 13
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

influences of line lenght

Postby maxence33 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:25 pm

My question is about the influence of lines lenght
What the differences of drive, speed, departure in small wind and etc, do you have if you add 10m of line on your 20m normal line?
A guy ( 95kg) said to me that he can ride a 14m switch blade 3 in 10 knots with a 6.0 surfboard and 30 or 35m of line.
It seems that longer line with a big kite (over 12m) give you a bigger window volume that permit to do bigger kite movement and to generate more energy.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: influences of line lenght

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:54 pm

maxence33 wrote: It seems that longer line with a big kite (over 12m) give you a bigger window volume that permit to do bigger kite movement and to generate more energy.
that is right. So more lowend because of more amplitude.
I also found it gives more upwind ability especially with a very big kite (like a 20), the kite seems to go further on the window edge.
With a 20m, I find it better suited.

Downside is: the feeling is not as direct, it turns slower, etc. And more lines to put around the bar :D

Frank

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 pm

maxence33 wrote:My question is about the influence of lines lenght
What the differences of drive, speed, departure in small wind and etc, do you have if you add 10m of line on your 20m normal line?
A guy ( 95kg) said to me that he can ride a 14m switch blade 3 in 10 knots with a 6.0 surfboard and 30 or 35m of line.
It seems that longer line with a big kite (over 12m) give you a bigger window volume that permit to do bigger kite movement and to generate more energy.
Try do a search on the forum - this issue is one of the "FAQ" !

But to your direct question - yes, it is true you get a huge window sweep without turning the kite (especially actual for big kites), thus more speed and no "loss" - which gives more low end :thumb:

If no wind for a long time in the summer, I also add 8-10m extension lines, go with a big fish or mini malibu or similar - and can go out in ridicoulous little wind...

Great to be out :D But apart from being out, not very exciting (slow, dull) :cry:

But just being out and able to surf, is sometimes enough for having fun, if very low winds for a long time 8)

Kindly, Peter Frank

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:55 am

This is true, you can develop more power because you have a longer power stroke.
However it also increases line drag which slows down the kite and can reduce the affect of apparent wind.

At about 35m, the lines add so much drag that any further increase is detrimental.
I have tried many lengths all the way up to 54m (2 line sets combined).
My personal favorite for those lighter wind days was 32m.

Longer lines also handle the gusts better due to the line sag absorbing the power before it is transferred to the bar.

As noted, steering response is slower and more sluggish.
Good winds,
Ken

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:00 pm

to be honst the optimum line lengths are standard with the kites for turning rate, power, optimum kiteloop etc............

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:57 pm

They may be optimum for most uses, but the point is how to tune for the extremes, in this case, extreme low wind. Yes 23-25 meter lines are what most developers use when designing the kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:04 pm

2talented wrote:They may be optimum for most uses, but the point is how to tune for the extremes, in this case, extreme low wind. Yes 23-25 meter lines are what most developers use when designing the kite.
Not today - only with the "old" C kites :-?
And with the REALLY old kites, the line length was 27meter.

Lines has definetely gotten shorter with the SLE kites now :thumb:
20-22meter is the norm often :D

But for extreme low wind and working the kite, longer lines is necessary.
The thing is, that many only uses this in very rare cases - and the downsides of longer lines are huge with "modern" kite style (kiteloops, fast transitions, waveriding)

Kindly, Peter Frank

Return to “Kitesurfing”