Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None

Snowkiting Near Park City

Postby phlow » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:13 am

Utah Loke's

I'll be out at the Canyons in late March with the family. I'm guessing Strawberry is the best call from that location as base camp?

Is there any riding on Jordanelle Reservoir ? What about at Rockport?

I'm just looking for potentially closer locations if I am pressed for time some days.

Any advice appreciated.

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Snowkiting Near Park City

Postby dirkydiggler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 pm

If you ware staying at the canyons, you'll have two great spots within 10min of your place. Strawbs is great, but is more than 30min away. Well worth the drive, but if you want to kite after a day on the slopes its your best bet.
If you head to Heber from the Canyons we have a flat spot behind the Home Depot. This field slopes downhill, not much terrain to speak of, but a fun place to cruise.
Another spot is Richardson flat's. You have the chance to play in the hills, much more area here.
If it is blowing you'll see people out.
Digg

UtahSnowKiter
Medium Poster

Postby UtahSnowKiter » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:34 am

Like Diggler said, the two closest options are Home Depot fields and Richardsons Flats. Both are right off Hwy 40; Home Depot at Silver Summit exit, then take the frontage road past the Depot. Not my favorite - too small. Richardson Flat is off Hwy40 and SR248, Quinns Jnctn, also known as the old dump road. Both are great with North or South winds, but if there's a forecast for north, you can't beat Strawberry (about 40 minute drive from PC). Email or post again when you're coming out. Happy to show you around. Tom

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:32 am

Richardson Flat is pretty sweet this year due to ample snow coverage. I agree with Tom, if you can make the drive to Strawberry it is well worth the longer drive. The Strawberry area is huge with tons of area to explore and very cool terrain features.

This has been an exceptional year for snow in Utah. I hope the wind cooperates while you are in town so that you can sample the goods.

Chris Huson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo, Long Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, South Padre Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 9 & 12m North Rebels

Postby Chris Huson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 am

I'll be arriving Saturday March 8th in Park City for a combination of snowboarding and snowkiting. I wish I were a week early for the SK Masters at Skyline. Looks like you're having great snow and wind.

Thanks for your patience with a few newbie/visitor questions since while I can kitesurf on water pretty well, this is my first time on snow (I'm bringing my 9m & 14m North Rebels and ride my regular snowboard).

Will I be able to find Richardson's Flats just by going east on 248 from the junction with Rt 40? I'll be coming across Kearns Blvd from Park City towards Keetly Junction, right? Is it to the north or south side of 248? (before Browns Canyon Rd, right?)

Regarding checking the weather, I figure I'll be riding back in Jupiter Bowl in the mornings and checking my blackberry to see if the winds pick up for kiting in the afternoon. I've got a link to the NOAA forecast for Park City (thanks kiteutah.com!) http://tinyurl.com/2zkf5b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- but is there a online wind station for live readings at Richardson's Flats or Strawberry? I'm an iKitesurf member but their readings look like only the airports and maybe a hill near Powder Mountain. What's the most accurate website for live wind speeds?

Should I bring snowshoes? I imagine I'll kite pretty conservatively, but what happens if you're having a great time and the wind dies or you can't relaunch? It's exhausting to walk through deep snow for even a few yards, especially carrying the kite. Is the snow deep? Do you carry a kite bag with snowshoes on your back?

Thanks for any advice and I sure hope I can hook up with some local kiters either to ride or have a beer after. I'll certainly return the favor next time you're on the east coast. Believe it or not we've got great kitesurfing around NY City!

Chris
917-576-6770

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:08 am

The Snowkite Masters was pretty sweet on Friday.

Weather - http://www.kiteutah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has the point forecasts for Park City and Strawberry. I use the wind vector flow on ikitesurf to get a good idea of the wind speeds.

No, we don't usually take snowshoes. It is no fun riding with those babies on your back. Some days I wish I had them, I have had to walk up to 2 miles in knee deep snow. The secret is to not kite farther from your car than you want to walk back. Kind of like the rule on the water, don't go out farther than you are willing to swim. Since you are new to the snow, I doubt you are going to explore some of the more distant terrain.

UtahSnowKiter
Medium Poster

Postby UtahSnowKiter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:30 pm

To get to Richardsons Flat, leave Park City going east on Kearns blvd (248). As it leaves town, the road is a divided hwy. Shortly after the divider ends, take the first right on a dirt/snowy road. Follow the road under the hwy 40 bridge. Park on the south side in the only parking area there.
The area is on the south side of sr248 and east of hwy 40, well before Browns Canyon. If you are coming from Hwy 40, head west on 248 towards Park City, take the first left, continue under hwy40 bridge etc. Hope we have some wind while you're here. Good luck to us all. Tom

Chris Huson
Rare Poster

Postby Chris Huson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:21 am

Thanks Tom, for the great directions to Richardsons Flat. Now it's clear as day on google maps, but I would have never found it!

I've read that traditional snowboards tend to turn upwind while kiting. My board is old, though it works fine on the mountain. I've very old clicker bindings which I love.

Do the shops in Park City sell boards optimized for kiting? Can you snowboard just as well on a board made for kiting? Does it make that much difference?

I hope to make it down to Cloud 9's shop, but what about closer to PC? Any place that someone could recommend with kite gear would be appreciated, perhaps to rent to try out.

Praying for wind and snow!

Chris
917-576-6770

UtahSnowKiter
Medium Poster

Postby UtahSnowKiter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Hey Chris,
Looks like a chance of north wind weds afternoon/evening. Richardsons Flat might be good for that; Strawberry too, but it looks like a late afternoon thing. Thursday looks like a good south all day, which would be great for Richardsons. Another south alternative is Gaurdsmans Pass, easily accessed above Deer Valleys Empire Pass/ Daly Chutes. You can drive up Gaurdsmans almost to the top of the ridge, or you can usually "hop" on the Empire Chairlift and duck a rope out onto the ridge - illegal of course, don't get caught. Richardsons would be the easy option. Maybe see you out there. Tom

Chris Huson
Rare Poster

Postby Chris Huson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:56 am

Hey Tom, Bill, Patrick and the rest of the Utah crew with advice and directions: a great big thanks!

I had a wonderful week in Park City and the Canyons, including my initiation to snowkiting up at Strawberry. It was a warm, sunny day with 10 or 12 knots of wind, plenty for me on my first day. Eric Gustafson was out there with a lesson but took time to give me a few pointers.

The snow was too soft and wind too light the days I tried out closer to Park City. But Strawberry is fantastic, and only 45 minutes away.

I hope to be out again soon! Thanks again everybody.
Chris
917-576-6770

Return to “Snow / Land”